Mailing List Archive

'console -r' only lists localhost
Hi Guys,

I've been wrestling with this for a while and am starting to think I
might be misunderstanding how multiple "master's" work.

I am running conserver on Ubuntu Karmic (9.10):

||/ Name Version Description
+++-======================-======================-============================================================
ii conserver-client 8.1.16-3 connect to a console server
ii conserver-server 8.1.16-3 connect multiple user to a serial console with logging

My /etc/conserver/console.cf file looks like:

config * {
master localhost;
port 3109;
sslenabled yes;
}

config vr01 {
master vr01;
}

So I have one other "master", besides localhost. Host "vr01" runs
conserver as well.

console(1) has the following statement about the '-r' flag:

-r Display daemon versions. The console client connects to
each server to request its version information.

Does "each server" mean each "master" you have defined in
console.cf?

When I use '-r', I get:

$ console -r
127.0.0.1: version `conserver.com version 8.1.16'
$

There's nothing about the "vr01" master I have configured.

But I can do:

$ console -M vr01 -r
10.0.120.120: version `conserver.com version 8.1.16'
$

So I have to explicitly pass the master with '-M'.

What I'd like to do is this:

I have two conserver's, one on localhost and one on "vr01". I want
to define consoles in /etc/conserver/conserver.cf that are either on
the localhost conserver, or on the "vr01" conserver, without having
to explicitly pass '-M' (and thereby have to know which host the
console is running on).

For example, a couple entries of my /etc/conserver/conserver.cf look
like:

console st02 {
master localhost;
}

console lp02vm {
master vr01;
}

I can type:

$ console st02

and immediately get a console.

But I can't do:

$ console lp02vm

Because it yields:

$ console lp02vm
localhost: console `lp02vm' not found
$

Instead I have to explicitly pass '-M vr01':

$ console -M vr01 lp02vm
[Enter `^Ec?' for help]

So, my main question is, if I've already defined "master vr01" for console
"lp02vm", why do I have to pass '-M' on the command line?

I'd like to avoid this, so I can have all consoles easily accessible with just
the console name.

Any help to this end would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
Garry Dolley
ARP Networks, Inc. | http://www.arpnetworks.com | (818) 206-0181
Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
On Oct 11 17:53, Garry Dolley wrote:
> I've been wrestling with this for a while and am starting to think I
> might be misunderstanding how multiple "master's" work.
>
> I am running conserver on Ubuntu Karmic (9.10):
>
> ||/ Name Version Description
> +++-======================-======================-============================================================
> ii conserver-client 8.1.16-3 connect to a console server
> ii conserver-server 8.1.16-3 connect multiple user to a serial console with logging
>
> My /etc/conserver/console.cf file looks like:
>
> config * {
> master localhost;
> port 3109;
> sslenabled yes;
> }
>
> config vr01 {
> master vr01;
> }

What does `console -V` tell you. I have a feeling conserver is built
--with-uds which would restrict console to only local masters.

Nate
Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
Did you start conserver with the -R option or turn off redirects in the
conserver.cf file with 'redirect [no|off|false]'?

If not, the output of conserver with a -v or even -D might be
useful. From the bits you posted, however, it sounds like it should be
working...and my only guess at the moment is -R.

Bryan
Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 09:11:58PM -0400, nstraz@redhat.com wrote:
> On Oct 11 17:53, Garry Dolley wrote:
> > I've been wrestling with this for a while and am starting to think I
> > might be misunderstanding how multiple "master's" work.
> >
> > I am running conserver on Ubuntu Karmic (9.10):

> > +++-======================-======================-============================================================
> > ii conserver-client 8.1.16-3 connect to a console server
> > ii conserver-server 8.1.16-3 connect multiple user to a serial console with logging
> >
> > My /etc/conserver/console.cf file looks like:
> >
> > config * {
> > master localhost;
> > port 3109;
> > sslenabled yes;
> > }
> >
> > config vr01 {
> > master vr01;
> > }
>
> What does `console -V` tell you. I have a feeling conserver is built
> --with-uds which would restrict console to only local masters.

Hi Nate,

The output of `console -V` is as follows:

$ console -V
console: conserver.com version 8.1.16
console: default initial master server `console'
console: default port referenced as `782'
console: default escape sequence `^Ec'
console: default site-wide configuration in `/etc/conserver/console.cf'
console: default per-user configuration in `$HOME/.consolerc'
console: options: libwrap, openssl, pam
console: openssl version: OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
console: built with `./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/conserver --with-openssl --with-pam --with-regex --with-port=782 --prefix=/usr --mandir=${prefix}/share/man --infodir=${prefix}/share/info --with-logfile=/var/log/conserver/server.log --with-pidfile=/var/run/conserver.pid --with-libwrap --with-64bit'
$

There is no '--with-uds', so I'm still stumped.

Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 04:10:59AM +0000, Bryan Stansell wrote:
> Did you start conserver with the -R option or turn off redirects in the
> conserver.cf file with 'redirect [no|off|false]'?
>
> If not, the output of conserver with a -v or even -D might be
> useful. From the bits you posted, however, it sounds like it should be
> working...and my only guess at the moment is -R.

Hi Bryan,

conserver is started like so:

/usr/sbin/conserver -d -p 3109 -O 1

My conserver.cf looks like:

config * {
sslrequired no;
sslenabled yes;
}

default full {
rw *;
}

default * {
sslrequired no;
sslenabled yes;
logfile /var/log/conserver/&.log;
timestamp "";
include full;
}

access * {
allowed 127.0.0.1;
}

Then I have my consoles defined:

console st02 {
master localhost;
}

console lp02vm {
master vr01;
}

So conserver is neither started with -R and no "redirect" appears in the
conserver.cf. This is why I'm stumped on this one ;)

Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
Do you mind sending me (personal email) the output of:

/usr/sbin/conserver -p 3109 -O 1 -D
telnet localhost 1
telnet vr01 1

I'm curious about how names are being mapped, if things are being thrown
out somewhere, etc. When we get to the answer we can update the list
with them.

Bryan
Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 04:10:59AM +0000, Bryan Stansell wrote:
> Did you start conserver with the -R option or turn off redirects in the
> conserver.cf file with 'redirect [no|off|false]'?
>
> If not, the output of conserver with a -v or even -D might be
> useful. From the bits you posted, however, it sounds like it should be
> working...and my only guess at the moment is -R.

So I ran conserver with '-v' and I got this very interesting
message:

[Tue Oct 12 15:11:34 2010] conserver (16805): ERROR: [lp02vm] console type unknown [/etc/conserver/conserver.cf:67]

So that is probably why it won't load the 'lp02vm' console entry.
But, since this console exists on _another_ server, what should the
"type" be set to?

Right now I just have:

console lp02vm {
master vr01.lax.digisynd.com;
port 5002;
}

Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
The type can be anything, in this case (try "type exec;"). But if
you're sharing the config file (which is sounds like you're not - my
guess is most people do, hence not noticing this before), it should be
whatever is necessary to talk to that device (otherwise it wouldn't work
on the other host).

That certainly looks like the reason for it failing. Yell if not!

Bryan

Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
Hi Bryan,

OK, I put in 'type exec;' and we're getting a little farther now:

$ console lp02vm
console: connect(): 3109@localhost: Connection refused
$

But now why the heck is it trying to connect to localhost? It
should connect to vr01.lax.digisynd.com as its master.

I did a tcpdump on localhost, to make sure the error wasn't
erroneous, and indeed it is trying to connect to localhost.

The plot thickens... ;)

Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
Hey Bryan,

Please disregard my previous messages about connecting to localhost.
False alarm!

Turns out I had not restarted conserver correctly (I just did
'conserver -v' and forgot to add '-p 3109').

Now it works!

$ console -r
127.0.0.1: version `conserver.com version 8.1.16'
vr01.lax.digisynd.com: version `conserver.com version 8.1.16'
$

$ console lp02vm
[Enter `^Ec?' for help]

For the record, this is what I have for the "lp02vm" console now:

console lp02vm {
master vr01.lax.digisynd.com;
type exec;
port 5002;
}

I also removed the "config" entry from /etc/conserver/console.cf,
turns out it is not needed.

Thanks for the help!

Re: 'console -r' only lists localhost [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 04:09:15PM -0700, Garry Dolley wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> OK, I put in 'type exec;' and we're getting a little farther now:
>
> $ console lp02vm
> console: connect(): 3109@localhost: Connection refused
> $
>

> But now why the heck is it trying to connect to localhost? It
> should connect to vr01.lax.digisynd.com as its master.
>
> I did a tcpdump on localhost, to make sure the error wasn't
> erroneous, and indeed it is trying to connect to localhost.
>
> The plot thickens... ;)

For the list record, this was a false alarm. I had not started
conserver correctly (used 'conserver -v' instead of 'conserver -p
3109 -v')