$ console -M <IP address> -p <port> <console name>

Which takes me straight to the requested terminal. Is there any way I can achieve similar results without using console?

Dave.
Re: How to access ... ? [ In reply to ]
This is a question that gets asked periodically. There may be more complete answers out there, but if I recall there isn't any existing "easy" way. Short of writing your own windows terminal program that speaks the conserved protocol, I would recommend setting up inetd on a system on a range of ports, and gave each port connection invoke a different console command to that ports right host. I'm not sure the console command will work this way, but it shouldn't be hard to make work I wouldn't think.

Good luck.

- Chris

Sent from my iPhone

Re: How to access ... ? [ In reply to ]
If you use putty .... you can configure a "remote command" in the
putty config that gets executed upon connect to your conserver .. the
remote command would simply be the command you typed below ... with
the correct values filled in.

You could setup a putty "saved session" for EACH console you need to
connect to .... then it's a matter of launching putty .... clicking
the desired session on you're o the console (assuming you've exchanged
ssh keys) .... if need be you could even setup shortcuts in windows
that launch a desired session automagically ....

I'd send you some screen shots ... but I'm not on a Windows box right now :)

--> Rob

Re: How to access ... ? [ In reply to ]
Dave Grubb <davidagrubb@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed conserver to log and manage the output of 50 different devices. It works very nicely and I'm very happy with the results but I've been asked for a way for Windows users to connect to those devices through a mixture of typical Windows-based terminal software (PuTTY, Tera Term etc.,).
>
> Right now, I'm using console to connect:
>
> $ console -M <IP address> -p <port> <console name>
>
> Which takes me straight to the requested terminal. Is there any way I can achieve similar results without using console?

for some of my co-lo customers, what I do is that I force them to log in
with public key authentication (works in putty with minimal fuss[1])
and then set up the authorized_keys file so that it runs the console
command for their console...

something like this:

no-agent-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-port-forwarding,command="console -M <IP address> -p <port> <console name>" ssh-rsa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

logging in with the proper key automatically dumps the user into the console
they want.

Of course, this still uses console (which you specifically wanted to aviod)
but it hides the details from your end user; once the putty config is
set up.

[1]http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.53b/htmldoc/Chapter8.html#8.2.10