like to get a feeling as to the size of Conservers user base and
its reliability.

If you are in a company that uses the product it would be great
if you could reply with company name and a rough number of machines
supported ( via single server or multi server etc), and how reliable
you have found it.

Many thanks

Andy Pearce

Re: Conserver usage/reliability [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 03:58:45PM +0100, Pearce Andy wrote:

> If you are in a company that uses the product it would be great
> if you could reply with company name and a rough number of machines
> supported ( via single server or multi server etc), and how reliable
> you have found it.

CERN IT here, and we're just deploying conserver. We use ipmitool to
access IPMI SOL consoles, with 2-300 clients per server.

We've started using conserver for all new installations just recently,
so only five servers with about 900 client machines are deployed so far,
but we'll quickly be in the few thousand clients range later this year.

So far so good, it looks pretty stable. *fingers crossed*

N.B. we use external means (our configuration database) to keep track of
which client is connected to which server, and users connect to the
server in question directly.

HTH

Andras
Re: Conserver usage/reliability [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 03:58:45PM +0100, Pearce Andy wrote:
> If you are in a company that uses the product it would be great
> if you could reply with company name and a rough number of machines
> supported ( via single server or multi server etc), and how reliable
> you have found it.

CCIN2P3, 2379 consoles, (2 servers holding most of these)
3 years in production, no problems

go for it!

Re: Conserver usage/reliability [ In reply to ]
"Pearce Andy" <Andy.Pearce@austrocontrol.at> asks:
> I am currently proposing the use of Conserver as the replacement
> product for an old UNIX ConsoleManager product. To do this I would
> like to get a feeling as to the size of Conservers user base and
> its reliability.
>
> If you are in a company that uses the product it would be great
> if you could reply with company name and a rough number of machines
> supported ( via single server or multi server etc), and how reliable
> you have found it.

He have used conserver for a very long time (~15 years)
and have found it to be very reliable. We have used it
in both single and multi-server arrangements. Our
main conserver has about 500 servers connected to it
at present. Something like this:

[client]

------ campus-net---+------+---

[eth0]
[conserver]---usb--[usb2serial]
[eth1] ______/ / \
| / / \
| [c1] [c2] ... [cN]---serial---[server]
(isolated) | | | |
---- console-net------+---+-----+---...----+---

where c1, c2, ... cN are 48 port cyclades terminal servers
(whose own consoles are served via a usb2serial box)

We would like to start using IPMI SOL instead of
terminal servers where possible.

John

Re: Conserver usage/reliability [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 03:58:45PM +0100, Pearce Andy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently proposing the use of Conserver as the replacement
> product for an old UNIX ConsoleManager product. To do this I would
> like to get a feeling as to the size of Conservers user base and
> its reliability.
>
> If you are in a company that uses the product it would be great
> if you could reply with company name and a rough number of machines
> supported ( via single server or multi server etc), and how reliable
> you have found it.

We have 5 servers running conserver, each exports about 30 consoles
that belong to virtual machines running on the host.

One client is used to access them.

No problems so far.

--
Garry Dolley