kill on a regular basis. However, this seems to be the case with conserver
processes themselves, and to a bigger extent.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Re: memleak? [ In reply to ]
On Jun 11 17:13, Fabien Wernli wrote:
> Also, there's 100 conserver processes which use around 8M of RAM each upon
> startup. Now these grow over time, reaching huge amounts (over 200M each).
> I know there's some ipmitool processes which seem to memleak, and which I
> kill on a regular basis. However, this seems to be the case with conserver
> processes themselves, and to a bigger extent.
>
> Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Can you run conserver under valgrind? Perhaps run it on a test box with
only a few ipmi console for a few hours.

Be sure to use --leak-check=full.

Nate
Re: memleak? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 05:13:34PM +0200, Fabien Wernli wrote:
> I know there's some ipmitool processes which seem to memleak, and which I
> kill on a regular basis. However, this seems to be the case with conserver
> processes themselves, and to a bigger extent.
>
> Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

What version are you using? I don't want to assume.

There's also the --with-dmalloc configure option, which I've used in the
past to track down and eliminate leaks. I can't guarantee they're all
gone, but it was an effort (at one point) to remove any I can find).
Those additional hooks might come in handy.

Bloat like this shouldn't happen...so there's definitely a problem
*somewhere*.

Bryan
Re: Re: memleak? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 04:28:48PM -0700, Bryan Stansell wrote:
> What version are you using? I don't want to assume.

conserver: conserver.com version 8.1.16
conserver: default access type `r'
conserver: default escape sequence `^Ec'
conserver: default configuration in `/etc/conserver/conserver.cf'
conserver: default password in `/etc/conserver/conserver.passwd'
conserver: default logfile is `/var/log/conserver/server.log'
conserver: default pidfile is `/var/run/conserver/pid'
conserver: default limit is 16 members per group
conserver: default primary port referenced as `conserver'
conserver: default secondary base port referenced as `0'
conserver: options: dmalloc, libwrap, openssl, pam
conserver: dmalloc version: 5.3.0
conserver: openssl version: OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
conserver: built with `./configure --with-openssl=/var/tmp/openssl-0.9.7a
--with-libwrap --with-dmalloc --with-pam --prefix=/opt
--sysconfdir=/etc/conserver --with-logfile=/var/log/conserver/server.log
--with-pidfile=/var/run/conserver/pid'

> There's also the --with-dmalloc configure option, which I've used in the
> past to track down and eliminate leaks. I can't guarantee they're all
> gone, but it was an effort (at one point) to remove any I can find).
> Those additional hooks might come in handy.
>
> Bloat like this shouldn't happen...so there's definitely a problem
> *somewhere*.

I'll see what I can find out using valgrind, as suggested by Nate