Mailing List Archive

Connecting to pSeries LPAR
Does anyone have a config snippet for connecting to the console of a
pSeries LPAR? How do you handle authentication with the IVM/HMC?

Thanks,

Nate
Re: Connecting to pSeries LPAR [ In reply to ]
Easiest way would be to configure unprompted ssh between your server and
the target HMC/IVM. Then you should be able to configure an "exec" type
console and use "ssh padmin@ivmhostname mkvt -id lparid" or "ssh
hscroot@hmchostname mkvterm -m managedystemname --id lparid" as the command
to execute.

There are also tools available that support this function. IBM's Cluster
Systems Management product
(http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03004c/systems/clusters/software/csm/) includes
this feature, as does the open source xCAT product (
http://xcat.sourceforge.net)
Bill LePera
IBM Systems and Technology Group
Poughkeepsie, NY

nstraz@redhat.com
(Nathan Straz)
Sent by: To
users-bounces@con users@conserver.com
server.com cc

Subject
09/03/2008 09:04 Connecting to pSeries LPAR
AM

Re: Connecting to pSeries LPAR [ In reply to ]
On Sep 3 10:10, William P LePera wrote:
> Easiest way would be to configure unprompted ssh between your server and
> the target HMC/IVM. Then you should be able to configure an "exec" type
> console and use "ssh padmin@ivmhostname mkvt -id lparid" or "ssh
> hscroot@hmchostname mkvterm -m managedystemname --id lparid" as the command
> to execute.

That's roughly what I ended up doing. I created a separate user,
console, for conserver to connect to and created RSA and DSA identities.
I found the mkvt is actually an alias which isn't available when you ssh
in to run a command so my final exec command line looks like this:

console lpar1 {
type exec;
exec ssh -i /root/.ssh/console_dsa -l console -t lpar ioscli mkvt -id 2;
}

The -t is there to force allocating a tty which is needed by the mkvt
command.

Nate