posts here in the mailing list.

But: Does someone have a smart solution to maintain the port settings
centrally? The ssh connect to the console server is not able to perform
the stty functions, IMHO. So how do you adjust port speed and so on?
Locally on the console server via rc.serial, for example?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Steffen

Re: Setting remote port speed [ In reply to ]
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2217.html

Conserver would need to support it and your terminal server would need
to support. This is really meant for IP->Serial connectivity for device
to program communications.

The only way I can see you do this is to write a program that will ssh
to all the devices out there and check/modify their config.

Re: Setting remote port speed [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 14:44 +0200, Steffen Rheinhold wrote:
> But: Does someone have a smart solution to maintain the port settings
> centrally? The ssh connect to the console server is not able to
> perform
> the stty functions, IMHO. So how do you adjust port speed and so on?
> Locally on the console server via rc.serial, for example?

I'll add one thing here. The best thing to do is create a standard.
9600,N,8,1 is a good setting. Make sure all of your console can conform
to that. This way you do not have to worry about one device being 57600
while another is at 19200.

Re: Setting remote port speed [ In reply to ]
Hello Christopher,

thanks for your reply. We usually have the Suns at 9600, but we also
usually have the IBMs at 19200. I'll think about how I could manage the
speed settings from a single point.

Best regards,

Steffen

Re: Setting remote port speed [ In reply to ]
In a flurry of recycled electrons, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> I'll add one thing here. The best thing to do is create a standard.
> 9600,N,8,1 is a good setting. Make sure all of your console can conform
> to that. This way you do not have to worry about one device being 57600
> while another is at 19200.

So some extent I've tried that approach. It works until you need to flatten
the config of some remote device and it's default isn't your usual settings.
(Or some device loses it's brain..)

My method is to keep an up-to-date list of the default settings of each
type of device out there (along with the default uname/password). In the
end, there's less resetting of port configs.

z!