Mailing List Archive

Help with 'initcmd'
Hello.

I'm trying to get conserver to talk to our Sun Fire X2100 eLOM consoles
via ssh, and used the trick described on
http://www.laen.org/2006/10/09/conserver-and-sun-x4100s/ to do
so. However, this doesn't seem to work.

In conserver.cf, I have the following:

console foo {
type exec;
exec /usr/bin/ssh -tl root 10.0.1.47
initcmd /tmp/login.sh
}

And /tmp/login.sh:

#!/usr/local/bin/expect -f
expect {
"password: " {exp_send "foo\r"; }
}

The following comes when test-running with 'conserver -Fuv'

[Fri Jun 1 15:35:59 2007] conserver (4265): INFO: [foo] pid 4266 on /dev/ttyqg
[Fri Jun 1 15:35:59 2007] conserver (4265): [foo] initcmd started: pid 4267
[Fri Jun 1 15:36:00 2007] conserver (4264): INFO: group #1 pid 4265 on port 51118
[Fri Jun 1 15:36:00 2007] conserver (4264): INFO: access type `t' for `127.0.0.1'
foo: Permission denied, please try again.
foo: Permission denied, please try again.
foo: Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
[Fri Jun 1 15:36:00 2007] conserver (4265): [foo] exit(255)
[Fri Jun 1 15:36:00 2007] conserver (4265): [foo] initcmd terminated: pid 4267

If I alter the 'exec'-line so ssh is more verbose, it complains about
not being able to open /dev/tty. I tried setting SSH_ASKPASS to a
script which just echoes the password, and DISPLAY to a dummy-value, and
that gets me a successfull login, but the initcmd-script never runs
anyway.

This is on a amd64 FreeBSD 6.2-system, with conserver 8.1.15.

Let me know if there's anything I can test or do, and thank you very
much in advance for any help.

--
Best Regards
Kenneth Schmidt

Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 03:40:13PM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> I'm trying to get conserver to talk to our Sun Fire X2100 eLOM consoles
> via ssh, and used the trick described on
> http://www.laen.org/2006/10/09/conserver-and-sun-x4100s/ to do

I also wrote a script, maybe you wanna try it instead. I submitted it to
conserver.com, but the author seems quite busy.

Here is conserver.cf (expect script is attached):

--

default x4100 {
type exec;

console ilom1 { include x4100; }

--

just adapt username/password in attached script
Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
Fabien Wernli <wernli@in2p3.fr> writes:
>> I'm trying to get conserver to talk to our Sun Fire X2100 eLOM consoles
>> via ssh, and used the trick described on
>> http://www.laen.org/2006/10/09/conserver-and-sun-x4100s/ to do
>
> I also wrote a script, maybe you wanna try it instead. I submitted it to
> conserver.com, but the author seems quite busy.

Thanks, but that's the approach we're already using. I wanted to get rid
off some of the proccesses, since we now have 86 machines using this
type of console.

Previously, that meant an sh+perl+ssh process per machine. Now, I've cut
it down to sh+perl (using Net:SSH2), but it would be even better with
just sh+ssh.

On an off note, it would be nice if conserver supported ssh directly
(for example, by linking with libssh2).

--
Best Regards
Kenneth Schmidt
Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 04:20:03PM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> Thanks, but that's the approach we're already using. I wanted to get rid
> off some of the proccesses, since we now have 86 machines using this
> type of console.

sorry for misunderstanding

> Previously, that meant an sh+perl+ssh process per machine. Now, I've cut
> it down to sh+perl (using Net:SSH2), but it would be even better with
> just sh+ssh.

I see. I have a conserver managing 234 boxes using similar techniques,
and indeed I have 1118 conserver processes running. There seems to be a
memory leak somewhere as you can see on the graph:

http://chown.free.fr/tmp/consrv10.png

I'm not sure yet where this is coming from

> On an off note, it would be nice if conserver supported ssh directly
> (for example, by linking with libssh2).

not sure about the 2100, but X4x00 should support SOL as they claim to be
IPMI 2.0 capable. However this isn't the case yet using the latest ILOM
formware. SUN support told us however that this should be solved, sometime
in the future, so this should ease things dramatically.

Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
Fabien Wernli <wernli@in2p3.fr> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 04:20:03PM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
>> Thanks, but that's the approach we're already using. I wanted to get rid
>> off some of the proccesses, since we now have 86 machines using this
>> type of console.
>
> sorry for misunderstanding

No worries, I wasn't being clear enough :)

>> Previously, that meant an sh+perl+ssh process per machine. Now, I've cut
>> it down to sh+perl (using Net:SSH2), but it would be even better with
>> just sh+ssh.
>
> I see. I have a conserver managing 234 boxes using similar techniques,
> and indeed I have 1118 conserver processes running. There seems to be a
> memory leak somewhere as you can see on the graph:
>
> http://chown.free.fr/tmp/consrv10.png
>
> I'm not sure yet where this is coming from

Yeah, one of the "solutions" would be to just throw some more RAM at the
conserver-machine, but it would be cool if it wasn't necessary.

>> On an off note, it would be nice if conserver supported ssh directly
>> (for example, by linking with libssh2).
>
> not sure about the 2100, but X4x00 should support SOL as they claim to be
> IPMI 2.0 capable. However this isn't the case yet using the latest ILOM
> formware. SUN support told us however that this should be solved, sometime
> in the future, so this should ease things dramatically.

The X2100 M2 supports IPMIv2 SOL just fine, except there's an annoying
lag to everything - about 200ms or so. I haven't figured out why.

--
Best Regards
Kenneth Schmidt
Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
Fabien Wernli <wernli@in2p3.fr> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 08:49:17PM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
>> The X2100 M2 supports IPMIv2 SOL just fine, except there's an annoying
>> lag to everything - about 200ms or so. I haven't figured out why.
>
> did you try fiddling with the 'ipmitool sol set' parameters ?

Yeah, and managed to break one of the eLOM's, requiring a power-cycle. I
won't be doing that again until I have the machine at arms length :)

/Kenneth
Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
Fabien Wernli <wernli@in2p3.fr> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:32:12PM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
>> Yeah, and managed to break one of the eLOM's, requiring a power-cycle. I
>> won't be doing that again until I have the machine at arms length :)
>
> that happened on my X4500 with 1.0.3 ilom when trying any 'ipmitool sol'
> command.

Hmm, I haven't tried anything on our X4500 yet. I'll have to see how it
behaves compared to the X2100, and then moan to Sun about it :)

/Kenneth
Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]

Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Re: Help with 'initcmd' [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 12:22:49AM +0200, Kenneth Vestergaard Schmidt wrote:
> Hmm, I haven't tried anything on our X4500 yet. I'll have to see how it
> behaves compared to the X2100, and then moan to Sun about it :)

please do! Maybe they'll take the ipmi SOL more seriously and we'll have a
fix soon