Mailing List Archive

multiple master ports
In looking through the conserver.cf man page
I see you specify that certain consoles are
mastered on another server with something like:

console elsewhere {
master some.other.machine;
}

but I'm not seeing where you can say what port
that the conserver on 'some.other.machine' is
listening on. Does this mean that they all
need to be on the same port?

For example, we have an existing conserver using
the default of 782. Now if I want to install a
new one, but I want to use a > 1024 port so that
conserver does not have to run as root, and have
it forward to the old server for the machines not
moved to the new one yet, I'm not seeing how I
can do this.

Is it possible?

Thanks,
John
Re: multiple master ports [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:53:26AM -0500, John Hascall wrote:
> but I'm not seeing where you can say what port
> that the conserver on 'some.other.machine' is
> listening on. Does this mean that they all
> need to be on the same port?

you are correct...they all need to be talking on the same port.
it's just not something that comes up very often (if at all? at least,
i don't remember anyone asking for the capability). if you keep the two
seperate, it's certainly easy to have a console.cf/.consolerc file that
sets the port number appropriately, based on which master you talk to.
but the user still needs to know the proper incantation to talk to
either the old or new server (and when to). or rename the console
command to console-old and let them talk to the old server that way.
not ideal at all, but perhaps a good motivation for folks to make the
move quicker? (only semi-serious there)

Bryan
Re: multiple master ports [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:53:26AM -0500, John Hascall wrote:
> > but I'm not seeing where you can say what port
> > that the conserver on 'some.other.machine' is
> > listening on. Does this mean that they all
> > need to be on the same port?
>
> you are correct...they all need to be talking on the same port.
> it's just not something that comes up very often (if at all? at least,
> i don't remember anyone asking for the capability). if you keep the two
> seperate, it's certainly easy to have a console.cf/.consolerc file that
> sets the port number appropriately, based on which master you talk to.
> but the user still needs to know the proper incantation to talk to
> either the old or new server (and when to). or rename the console
> command to console-old and let them talk to the old server that way.
> not ideal at all, but perhaps a good motivation for folks to make the
> move quicker? (only semi-serious there)

Well, it's really, really icky, but I found a perversion
of the syntax that actually looks like it might work:

console dummy { type exec; master -:1782@test.its.iastate.edu; }

(Not that I'm recommending anyone depend on this)

If I got ambitious and coded up a proper way to do this, say:

console dummy { type exec; master test.its.iastate.edu; port 1782; }

Would you be interested in it?

As an aside, it looks to me like this would also provide a backdoor-way
to get groups back because I think you could actually run multiple
conservers on a single host, N of them each managing a "group" and the
N+1th of them as the master with a config file of nothing but forwards
to the consoles managed on the other N.

John