Mailing List Archive

conserver and terminals
Hello,

I have a setup where conserver runs on a machine with xoxa 8 x serial card.
Moxa serial ports are connected to linux machines doing serial consoles.
There are also other devices like hp procurve switch and fibre channel
switch.

Now the problem is that fc switch displays

CMD> (as seen in minicom)

but conserver displays it as:
ETUT))q)QUUU)QUQE\EJUU

What I'm trying to do is create kind of console server under Linux that would
allow easy access to multiple serial consoles and other hardware etc.

I was thinking about running some microcom/nanocom serial terminal program
directly as user shell so user would need just to ssh
serial_console_XY@my.console.server.com to get serial console for his
machine. That would be simple, secure and I would get good terminal
emulation.

First I want to give conserver a chance because it has nice features like
logging etc. Unfortunately I don't see how to get nice terminal emulation in
conserver?

--
Arkadiusz Mi¶kiewicz PLD/Linux Team
arekm / maven.pl http://ftp.pld-linux.org/

Re: conserver and terminals [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 03:02 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> ETUT))q)QUUU)QUQE\EJUU

When I see "garbage" the first thing I think is that your device is
talking one speed and conserver another.

Re: conserver and terminals [ In reply to ]
On sobota, 20 stycznia 2007, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 03:02 +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > ETUT))q)QUUU)QUQE\EJUU
>
> When I see "garbage" the first thing I think is that your device is
> talking one speed and conserver another.

Under minicom - 9600, 38400 - no response from device, 19200 - communication
with device works correctly. Conserver *was* set to use 19200:

fc on /dev/ttyM0@localhost at 19200n

The interesting thing is that minicom doesn't show device as being Online even
if communication works.

I was also trying to get access to device using other terminal programs like
microcom and nanocom but failed.

Any ideas what minicom could be doing that makes things work?