Mailing List Archive

Conserver vs Sun X4100
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have conserver working with the console output from a Sun
X4100? The only console access I seem to be able to find is:

1) Via the Ethernet MGMT interface where you connect via the web browser
and start their JAVA remote console process. A nice feature, but not
compatible with conserver.

2) Via the Ethernet (or Serial) MGMT interface and you:
a) Log into the ILOM
b) run "start /SP/console" and answer "y" to the question.
...and I am not even sure if this works.

We seem to be rolling these machines out at a pretty regular pace, so I
*really* would like to get them working with my conserver setup.

Help!

Thanks,
Emmett

--
========= LexisNexis Examen, Inc. ==========
Emmett Hogan

Re: Conserver vs Sun X4100 [ In reply to ]
Emmett Hogan wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Does anyone have conserver working with the console output from a Sun
> X4100? The only console access I seem to be able to find is:
>
> 1) Via the Ethernet MGMT interface where you connect via the web browser
> and start their JAVA remote console process. A nice feature, but not
> compatible with conserver.
>
> 2) Via the Ethernet (or Serial) MGMT interface and you:
> a) Log into the ILOM
> b) run "start /SP/console" and answer "y" to the question.
> ...and I am not even sure if this works.
>
> We seem to be rolling these machines out at a pretty regular pace, so I
> *really* would like to get them working with my conserver setup.

You can use a connect script like:

#!/usr/local/bin/expect -f
expect {
"(yes/no)?" {exp_send "yes\r"; exp_continue; }
"password: " {exp_send "<your password>\r"; }
}
expect "\\-> "
send "cd /SP/console\rstart\r"
expect "(y/n)?"
exp_send "y\r"

I then have the conserver setup stuff like:

console foo {
include ilom;
exec ssh -l admin foo-ilom;
type exec;
initcmd "/path/to/above/script";

}

That seems to be working fine for us.

Re: Conserver vs Sun X4100 [ In reply to ]
Hogan, Emmett (LNG-SAC) wrote:
> I am finally getting back around to doing this!
>
> I have one small and one not-so-small problem:
>
> Small problem: I don't know what was in the "ilom" stanza (you have an
> "include ilom" in the "console foo" stanza)

That isn't needed - just forgot to remove it when cleaning up my example.

> Not-So-Small Problem: I can connect to the service processor just fine:
> Sun(TM) Integrated Lights Out Manager
>
> Version 1.0.5
>
> Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
>
> -> start /SP/console
> Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y
>
> Serial console started. To stop, type ESC (
>
> After this I get nothing...key strokes don't wake it up, nada. If I hot
> "ESC (" I get the "-> " prompt and can exit just fine.
>
> Did you run into this at all?

I know this sounds stupid, but are you sure the system itself is on?

The ILOM itself will be running even if the system itself is not powered on.

system itself does not power on when first plugged in.