machines running Linux and would love to log console output.

--
matthew zeier | Network Engineer | Mozilla Corp. | (650)903-0800 x219
Re: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:27 -0700, matthew zeier wrote:

> Has anyone a working config to work with HP's iLo? I have a number
> of
> machines running Linux and would love to log console output.

The iLo's that I've dealt with were ethernet based and required a web
browser. Can to telnet directly to the card and gain access to the
serial console?

RE: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
The ILO may be configured to accept telnet or ssh connections; once
connected the serial port maybe accessed via vsp program and some folks
launch remcons; I believe remcons requires that linux systems be in init
level 3.

To set up the serial port for use with vsp:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectRe
ason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=397989&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fh20000.www2.hp.
com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc00263709%2Fc00263709.pdf

The new versions of ilo also support SMASH or a subset of SMASH.

In our MO product we connect to the ssh port via our ssh access method and
perform data logging.

Please note as well that there is a bug with ssh on the current ilo firmware
if coming from FC-5 or SUSE 10+ or Solaris 10 ssh. The workaround does not
work for Solaris 10, BTW. See details on the ssh workaround just below.

We have also worked out a mechanism to send a number of XML commands
directly to the ILO if you want to automate or centrally control your ILOs.
The link for the XML scripts is:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23217.html

A good general page for ILOs:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ilo/documentation.html
.

Details on the ssh workaround:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc
=us&objectID=c00680182&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I followed the instructions and created a file ~/.ssh/ilo on my Fedora Core
5 systems and did "ssh -F ~/.ssh/ilo" where the ~/.ssh/ilo has one line in
it ForwardAgent no

And it worked; I had tried changing the ssh_config but that did not work.
The workaround WORKS!

The error message looks like this:

-bash-3.00# ssh demo2ilo
root@demo2ilo's password:
dispatch_protocol_error: type 100 seq 7
buffer_get: trying to get more bytes 4 than in buffer 0

Re: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
Christopher Fowler wrote:
> The iLo's that I've dealt with were ethernet based and required a web
> browser. Can to telnet directly to the card and gain access to the
> serial console?

Sort of - they support ssh and I can get a serial console once I ssh in.

--
matthew zeier | Network Engineer | Mozilla Corp. | (650)903-0800 x219
Re: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
Jim Corrigan wrote:
> The ILO may be configured to accept telnet or ssh connections; once
> connected the serial port maybe accessed via vsp program and some folks
> launch remcons; I believe remcons requires that linux systems be in init
> level 3.

So I guess where I'm stuck is in figuring out how to launch ssh and
start remcons all from within conserver.

--
matthew zeier | Network Engineer | Mozilla Corp. | (650)903-0800 x219
RE: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
The developers should be able to allow conserver to make an ssh connection
to an address as easily as they allow an ssh connection to port on a
terminal server.

I could look at the code but the conserver developers would be much better
resource than me.

RE: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
Conserver as far as I know will not automate any of this for you.
It can fire off an ssh client to the iLO board but you'll have to
manually enter a password with the console program at connect. This
will be a PITA.

The one thing I never liked about iLO was that it was oriented for one
server. HP might have created enterprise level software that allows for
a central point of management of a data center with 100s of these
servers but when I evaluated them there was nothing. I had to manually
connect with a browser to each one and keep a list of IPs on a sheet of
paper for each board. Not effective in a large data center.

Here is what I would do if you want conserver to connect to the console
port of the server.

1. Setup serial console on Linux.
2. Setup bios redirection to serial on server
3. Attach a serial cable from multi-port IO board
to the serial port.

Now if you do not want to invest in a 32 port board and server to
be your console server then the next step is to write a front end
to ssh and have conserver execute it. It will then log into te board
and execute the serial client. I would write this in PERL.

Re: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

An employee from HP once sent me this config example:

# Sample conserver.cf file for accessing iLO Virtual Serial Port consoles #

# Requires conserver v8.1.8 or later from http://www.conserver.com/

access * { trusted localhost; }

config * { daemonmode on; logfile /var/log/conserver.log; }

default * { master localhost; rw *; }

#
# Default settings for all iLO Virtual Serial Port consoles
#
default ilo-vsp {
type host;
port 23;
# The iLO Username and Password are passed as the first and
# second parameters of the ilo-vsplogin script:
initcmd "/usr/local/etc/ilo-vsplogin Administrator password";
}

console dl380g4 { include ilo-vsp; host 16.100.225.138; }
console dl360g4 { include ilo-vsp; host 16.100.226.163; }

And then, the script:

#!/usr/bin/expect -f
# Sample expect script for automating iLO VSP Logins with conserver #

# Hardware Supported: ProLiant DL360 G4, DL380 G4, BL30p, etc.
# iLO Firmware Version Required: v1.60
# iLO must have Telnet logins enabled
# Virtual Serial Port must be configured in RBSU
# Operating System must be running a console on the VSP

set send_slow {1 0.02}
set username [lindex $argv 0];
set password [lindex $argv 1];

expect "Name: "
send -s "$username\r"

expect "ssword: "
send -s "$password\r"

expect "iLO> "
send -s "vsp\r"

You would need to enable telnet then however.

Cheers,
Anders.

Re: integration with HP's iLo ? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 03:48:04PM +0200, Anders Nordby wrote:
> You would need to enable telnet then however.

or stick with ssh and just adjust a few things. the console type would
need to shift to an 'exec' type and you'd have to tell is the proper
incantation for ssh.

default ilo-vsp {
type exec;
exec ssh ...;
}

there are many ways to tweak this based on whether or not you go to port
22 for all things, etc. then tweak the expect script appropriately as
well. pretty much all things are possible - perhaps not a simple toggle
in the config, but possible.

Bryan