This isn't the first time we've heard of this type of phishing using our mailing list archives. Please be careful when you see any sort of attachment, even if it appears to be from this community.

If you receive this sort of phishing email, please report the attached HTML file to https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Re: [clamav-users] Be wary of emails with attachments targeting clamav-users list members [ In reply to ]
I have just started getting these claiming to be relevant to ClamAV, but I have *also* been receiving this sort of thing claiming to be from the Firefox ESR list for months now.

I am posting (one of) the HTMLs "about" ClamAV to https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware. Should I also post (one of) the Firefox phishes? (In fact, I have several of each, but it quickly gets tedious.)

Re: [clamav-users] Be wary of emails with attachments targeting clamav-users list members [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul,

yes, submit all files. Maybe ClamAV need different Phising - Sigs for each file or something ...
For my submitted file, ClamAV currently not warn ...

kind greetings
Marc

An / To: Newcomer01 <mailto:newcomer01@posteo.de>
CC / CC: Paul Kosinski <mailto:clamav-users@iment.com>
Gesendet / Sent: Mittwoch, März 22, 2023 um 18:35 (at 06:35 PM) +0100
Betreff / Subject: Re: [clamav-users] Be wary of emails with attachments targeting clamav-users list members

Re: [clamav-users] Be wary of emails with attachments targeting clamav-users list members [ In reply to ]

> The attached file was some small HTML file containing malicious obfuscated
> javascript.

Just to note that at my workplace 1 user received a similar email, using
older email threads to make it look convincing
and a with a single html attachment.

0/55 av's so far 6 hours after submitting..

In case this helps...

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8cb4b28d9c452dfa77e8a061791158bb851681550c889e579a0acc4cb0ff2c86

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @sanesecurityhttps://fosstodon.org/@sanesecurity
Sanesecurity.com
Re: [clamav-users] Be wary of emails with attachments targeting clamav-users list members [ In reply to ]
Just a note that in my experience, e-mail phishing detection is routinely disabled, perhaps because of excessive false positives, but also because signature maintenance appears to be a low priority.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-