Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate now available
Read this announcement online at https://blog.clamav.net/2022/10/clamav-100-release-candidate-now.html<https://blog.clamav.net/2022/03/clamav-01050-release-candidate-now.html>

We are excited to announce the ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate!

You may find the source code and installers for this release on:

* the clamav.net/downloads<https://www.clamav.net/downloads>, or
* the ClamAV GitHub release page<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/releases/tag/clamav-1.0.0-rc>

Note: If you are looking for the source code on clamav.net/downloads<https://www.clamav.net/downloads> - there is an issue preventing the "Source" section from showing for release candidates. Until we fix this issue, you find it under the "Linux" section.

Tip: If you are downloading the source from the GitHub release page, the package labeled "clamav-1.0.0-rc.tar.gz" does not require an internet connection to build. All dependencies are included in this package. But if you download the ZIP or TAR.GZ generated by GitHub, located at the very bottom, then an internet connection will be required during the build to download additional Rust dependencies.

For Docker users, there is no specific Docker tag for the release candidate, but you can use the clamav:unstable or clamav:unstable_base tags.

The release candidate phase is expected to last two to three weeks before we publish the stable release or a second release candidate. Please take this time to evaluate ClamAV 1.0.0.

ClamAV 1.0.0 includes the following improvements and changes.

Major changes

* Support for decrypting read-only OLE2-based XLS files that are encrypted with the default "VelvetSweatshop" password. Use of the VelvetSweatshop password will now appear in the metadata JSON.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/700
* Overhauled the implementation of the all-match feature. The newer code is more reliable and easier to maintain.

* This project fixed several known issues with signature detection in all- match mode:
* Enabled embedded file-type-recognition-signatures to match when a malware signature also matched in a scan of the same layer.
* Enabled bytecode signatures to run in all-match mode after a match has occurred.
* Fixed an assortment of all-match edge case issues:
* Added multiple test cases to verify correct all-match behavior.
* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/687
* Added a new callback to the public API for inspecting file content during a scan at each layer of archive extraction.

* The new callback function type is clcb_file_inspection defined in clamav.h.
* The function cl_engine_set_clcb_file_inspection() may be used to enable the callback prior to performing a scan.
* This new callback is to be considered unstable for the 1.0 release. We may alter this function in a subsequent feature version.
* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/170
* Added a new function to the public API for unpacking CVD signature archives.

* The new function is cl_cvdunpack(). The last parameter for the function may be set to verify if a CVD's signature is valid before unpacking the CVD content to the destination directory.
* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/690

Other improvements

* Add checks to limit PDF object extraction recursion.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/629
* Increased the limit for memory allocations based on untrusted input and altered the warning message when the limit is exceeded so that it is more helpful and less dramatic.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/723
* Dramatically improved the build time of libclamav-Rust unit tests. The unit test build is included in the time limit for the test itself and was timing out on slower systems. The ClamAV Rust code modules now share the same build directory, which also reduces the amount of disk space used for the build.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/694
* Windows: The debugging symbol (PDB) files are now installed alongside the DLL

* and LIB library files when built in "RelWithDebInfo" or "Debug" mode.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/669
* Relaxed the constraints on the check for overlapping ZIP file entries so as not to alert on slightly malformed, but non-malicious, Java (JAR) archives.

* Talos escalations issues:
* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/561
* Increased the time limit in FreshClam before warning if the DNS entry is stale. In combination with changes to update the DNS entry more frequently, this should prevent false alarms of failures in the database publication system.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/597
* Docker: The C library header files are now included in the Docker image. Patch courtesy of GitHub user TerminalFi.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/693
* Show the BYTECODE_RUNTIME build options when using the ccmake GUI for CMake. Patch courtesy of ???????? ????????????.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/678
* Added explicit minimum and maximum supported LLVM versions so that the build will fail if you try to build with the version that is too old or too new and will print a helpful message rather than simply failing to compile because of compatibility issues. Patch courtesy of Matt Jolly.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/692

Bug fixes

* Assorted code quality fixes. These are not security issues and will not be backported to prior feature versions:

* Several heap buffer overflows while loading PDB and WDB databases were found by OSS-Fuzz and by Micha?? Dardas.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/530
* Follow-up Optimization: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/712
* oss-fuzz 43843: heap buffer overflow read (1) cli_sigopts_handler

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/560
* oss-fuzz 44849: heap buffer overflow read (4) in HTML/js-norm

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/503
* oss-fuzz 43816: heap buffer overflow read (8) in cli_bcomp_freemeta

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/583
* oss-fuzz 43832: heap buffer overflow read (2) in cli_parse_add

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/611
* oss-fuzz 44493: integer overflow in cli_scannulsft

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/554
* CIFuzz leak detected in IDB parser

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/547
* oss-fuzz assorted signature parser leaks

* GitHub pull requests:
* https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/532
* https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/533
* https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/535
* oss-fuzz 40601: leak detected in pdf_parseobj

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/553
* Fixed a build failure when using LIBCLAMAV_ONLY mode with tests enabled.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/714
* Fixed an issue verifying EXE/DLL authenticode signatures to determine a given file can be trusted (skipped).

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/727
* Fixed a caching bug relating to the Container and Intermediates logical signature condition.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/724
* Fixed a build issues when build with RAR disabled or when building with an external libmspack library rather than the vendored library.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/672
* Fixed the capitalization of the -W option for clamonacc in the clamonacc manpage. Patch courtesy of GitHub user monkz.

* GitHub pull requests:
* https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/709
* https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/710
* macOS: Fixed an issue with memory-map (mmap) system call detection affecting versions 0.105 and 0.104. Memory maps may be used in ClamAV to improve signature load performance, scan performance, and RAM usage.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/705
* Fixed a performance issue with Rust code when the build type is not explicitly set to "Release" or "RelWithDebInfo". The Rust default build type is now "RelWithDebInfo" just like the C code, instead of Debug. This means it is now optimized by default.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/701
* Fixed an issue loading Yara rules containing regex strings with an escaped forward-slash (\/) followed by a colon (:).

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/696
* Fixed an issue detecting and scanning ZIP file entries appended to very small files. The fix is part of the all-match feature overhaul.

* Fixed a detection issue with EXE/DLL import-address-table hash signatures that specify a wildcard (*) for the size field. The fix is part of the all-match feature overhaul.

* Fix the default bytecode timeout value listed in the manpages and in the sample config files. Patches courtesy of Liam Jarvis and Ben Bodenmiller.

* GitHub pull requests:
* https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/631
* https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/661
* Fix issue building the libclamav_rust test program when running ctest if building with BYTECODE_RUNTIME=llvm and when the FindLLVM.cmake module is used to find the LLVM libraries. Patch courtesy of GitHub user teoberi.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/572

Acknowledgments

Special thanks to the following people for code contributions and bug reports:

* Ben Bodenmiller
* ???????? ????????????
* Liam Jarvis
* Matt Jolly
* monkz
* teoberi
* TerminalFi

Posted by Micah Snyder<https://www.blogger.com/profile/07798916006145826441> at 3:51 PM<https://blog.clamav.net/2022/10/clamav-100-release-candidate-now.html>[https://img1.blogblog.com/img/icon18_email.gif]<https://www.blogger.com/email-post.g?blogID=2366689974368239573&postID=1614829017347817326>

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate now available [ In reply to ]
* Yasuhiro Kimura <yasu@utahime.org>:

> I experienced same problem while I'm working to update FreeBSD ClamAV
> port to 1.0.0-rc. It happens if ClamAV is built with external
> TomsFastMath library (that is, ENABLE_EXTERNAL_TOMSFASTMATH option is
> ON).
>
> See issue #736 for more detail.
>
> https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/736

Ah, interesting. I'm using the *.deb from
http://www.clamav.net/downloads/production/clamav-1.0.0-rc.linux.x86_64.deb

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

Campus Benjamin Franklin (CBF)
Haus I | 1. OG | Raum 105
Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin

Tel. +49 30 450 570 155
ralf.hildebrandt@charite.de
https://www.charite.de

Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate now available [ In reply to ]
You wouldn’t download the cld from the server. Or am I reading this thread wrong.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [clamav-users] [ext] Re: ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate now available [ In reply to ]
* Joel Esler <joel.esler@me.com>:

> You wouldn’t download the cld from the server. Or am I reading this thread wrong.

No, but the debian package (*.deb), instead of building it myself
(like Yasuhiro did).

What I'm trying to say: The prebuilt package suffers from the same
issue :)

Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate now available [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 25 Oct 2022, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:

> Read this announcement online at
> https://blog.clamav.net/2022/10/clamav-100-release-candidate-now.html
>
> We are excited to announce the ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate!
>
> You may find the source code and installers for this release on:
>
> * the clamav.net/downloads<https://www.clamav.net/downloads>, or
> * the ClamAV GitHub release
> page<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/releases/tag/clamav-1.0.0-rc>
>
> Note: If you are looking for the source code on
> clamav.net/downloads<https://www.clamav.net/downloads> - there is an
> issue preventing the "Source" section from showing for release
> candidates. Until we fix this issue, you find it under the "Linux"
> section.
>
> Tip: If you are downloading the source from the GitHub release page,
> the package labeled "clamav-1.0.0-rc.tar.gz" does not require an
> internet connection to build. All dependencies are included in this
> package. But if you download the ZIP or TAR.GZ generated by GitHub,
> located at the very bottom, then an internet connection will be
> required during the build to download additional Rust dependencies.

It would be great if you could put the source debian/ directory and the
clamav.spec file (for rpm
builds) up with the source tarball.

Tradition would say make the debian dir available as eg:
clamav-1.0.0-rc-1.debian.tar.gz

If you put clamav.spec at the top level (I think that means
clamav-1.0.0-rc/clamav.spec
) then we can build the rpm straight from the tarball, with
rpmbuild --ta clamav-1.0.0-rc.tar.gz
This worked for RedHat 6, I don't have a current RedHat system to confirm.

I know that you have mussels, but switching to CMake and adding Rust
seems like enough for an OS packager trying to upgrade from one LTS to the
next (0.103 to 1.0).

Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: [clamav-users] ClamAV 1.0.0 release candidate now available [ In reply to ]
Hi Andrew,

We don't actually create a clamav.spec file for building the RPM, or the equivalent for the DEB package. These packages are created by CMake's CPack tool.

The only special settings we add for supporting building RPM's and DEB's is this: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/blob/main/CMakeLists.txt#L418-L437

At build time, we also set -D CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_RELEASE=1 , or -D CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_RELEASE=1 and then after the build we run cpack -G DEB or cpack -G RPM and CPack does everything.

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development