Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] The antivirus signatures are outdated
Hi,
Does anyone know how to extend the period in ClamTK so that the message "The antivirus signatures are outdated" is displayed only if the definitions are older than 30 days?

Thanks,
Moises
Re: [clamav-users] The antivirus signatures are outdated [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 10 May 2022, Pena, Moises T [US] (SP) via clamav-users wrote:

> Does anyone know how to extend the period in ClamTK so that the
> message "The antivirus signatures are outdated" is displayed only if
> the definitions are older than 30 days?

Why would you want to do this? It seems to fly in the face of reason,
since new threats can be considerably more dangerous than old ones.

ClamTK is not part of the official ClamAV packages, but is provided by
a third party:

https://gitlab.com/dave_m/clamtk

Gitlab doesn't work with my browser. Apart from the description on
the page above I have very little idea what ClamTK actually does.

The official ClamAV tool which updates the signature databases is
called 'freshclam'. I expect that ClamTK will use it - if it didn't,
it would have difficulty with the content delivery network. Freshclam
has a configuration file which lets you set the frequency of updates,
and also lets you disable warnings. If ClamTK uses these facilities
your answer might be as simple as making very trivial changes to the
freshclam configuration file, but I can't say that for certain. The
configuration file sets the frequency of checks which freshclam makes
in terms of the number of checks per day, and I've never heard of it
being set to a fractional value. I'd be surprised if that worked.
However you don't have to rely on the freshclam configuration file to
set the frequency of freshclam updates. Instead of running freshclam
as a daemon you can run it from cron for example, and then you can do
whatever you like. You could run it annually if you like. As I said,
I think that would be a very strange thing to want to do.

OTOH if ClamTK makes its own decisions about these things nothing I've
said here would be likely to help. Perhaps others on this list use it
and might be able to help you more but you might have more luck if you
raise an issue on Gitlab.

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] The antivirus signatures are outdated [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 10 May 2022 11:19:17 EDT Pena, Moises T [US] (SP) via clamav-
users wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone know how to extend the period in ClamTK so that the message
> "The antivirus signatures are outdated" is displayed only if the
> definitions are older than 30 days?

Perhaps you are missing the point 30 minutes can be too old.

> Thanks,
> Moises

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)