[clamav-users] Locating clamav-milter to match v0.104.2
I am hoping to find a clamav-milter to match the current version of clamav.
The current link on website seems to go to GitHub.
GitHub then says that you need to get software from ClamAV.
If there is somewhere that I can get a clamav-milter v0.104.2 RPM, it would be much appreciated.

——
Michael H. “Mike” Hall, Sr. NASA-GSFC
Working Remotely from Baltimore
Re: [clamav-users] Locating clamav-milter to match v0.104.2 [ In reply to ]

> I am hoping to find a clamav-milter to match the current version of
> clamav.
>
> The current link on website seems to go to GitHub.
>
> GitHub then says that you need to get software from ClamAV.
>
> If there is somewhere that I can get a clamav-milter v0.104.2 RPM, it
> would be much appreciated.

Are you sure they have constantly the same versions? The milter of spamassassin hardly changed and is from 2014 (+ some patches)

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Locating clamav-milter to match v0.104.2 [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022, Hall, Michael H. (GSFC-423.0)[RAYTHEON COMPANY] via clamav-users wrote:

> I am hoping to find a clamav-milter to match the current version of clamav.
> The current link on website seems to go to GitHub.
> GitHub then says that you need to get software from ClamAV.
> If there is somewhere that I can get a clamav-milter v0.104.2 RPM, it would be much appreciated.

I don't know if there is such a thing in existence. You don't say for
what system/architecture you want this RPM to have been built and that
is very important. An RPM usually needs to be built for one specific
architecture (i386, AMD64, ARM7,... although if it doesn't contain any
binaries that might not be true).

I'm still a bit woolly on the status of clamav-milter. At one time it
seemed to be just another part of the ClamAV distribution but later on
I saw things in the docs which made it seem to be a third-party tool.

In any event I don't think much has been changing in clamav-milter so
I'd expect if you find an RPM of a supported version such as here

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/clamav

then it should work with recent versions of ClamAV. If they agree on
an interface they should work together OK, and of course if they don't
you will soon know about it.

At least in this case I'm sure that the binaries don't know anything
about the version numbers of the other binaries that they're talking
to, although I couldn't swear to that for everything ClamAV related.
I'm sure for the milter interface because I wrote my own milter which
replaces clamav-milter. It just sends commands and data as per the
clamd man page and it gets back the replies you'd get if you did the
same queries via 'telnet' to the TCP port. I patched clamd to send
some version information, both for logging and to include in headers
which my milters add to the messages, but that's just for my records.

Perhaps you could experiment and let us know what you find. I don't
myself use clamav-milter any more but I have nothing against it; when
I was using it, AFAICR, it gave me no trouble.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] Locating clamav-milter to match v0.104.2 [ In reply to ]
HI Michael, Ged,

clamav-milter is indeed a part of the clamav project. As Ged notes, it hasn't changed in many years - at least not since I started here over 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, the clamav-milter daemon is not included with the 0.104 DEB and RPM packages we provide on clamav.net/downloads. I would like to include it in the future.

Ged's link to use the Fedora project's milter RPM sounds like a good option to me. And as he notes, since it is a standalone program and communicates with ClamD over a socket interface that also hasn't changed in many years - it should work just fine.

Cheers,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
________________________________

Re: [clamav-users] Locating clamav-milter to match v0.104.2 [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 12:38:02 PM EST Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via
clamav-users wrote:
> HI Michael, Ged,
>
> clamav-milter is indeed a part of the clamav project. As Ged notes, it
> hasn't changed in many years - at least not since I started here over 4
> years ago.
>
> Unfortunately, the clamav-milter daemon is not included with the 0.104 DEB
> and RPM packages we provide on clamav.net/downloads. I would like to
> include it in the future.
>
> Ged's link to use the Fedora project's milter RPM sounds like a good option
> to me. And as he notes, since it is a standalone program and communicates
> with ClamD over a socket interface that also hasn't changed in many years -
> it should work just fine.

The Debian packages provided by Debian do include the milter. We're staying
on 0.103 for now, so we don't have 0.104 packages, but maybe you could update
your Debian packaging based on what we have currently and provide it.

I don't use the milter either, but we don't get much in the way of complaints
about it.

Scott K
Re: [clamav-users] Locating clamav-milter to match v0.104.2 [ In reply to ]

On 08.02.22 12:46, Scott Kitterman via clamav-users wrote:
>The Debian packages provided by Debian do include the milter. We're staying
>on 0.103 for now, so we don't have 0.104 packages, but maybe you could update
>your Debian packaging based on what we have currently and provide it.
>
>I don't use the milter either, but we don't get much in the way of complaints
>about it.

works like a charm FYI.

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity...