DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav <https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav>
Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd <http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd>
Ignoring mirror 104.16.218.84 (due to previous errors)
Ignoring mirror 104.16.219.84 (due to previous errors)
Ignoring mirror 104.16.218.84 (due to previous errors)
Ignoring mirror 104.16.219.84 (due to previous errors)
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net <http://database.clamav.net/>
Trying again in 5 secs...
Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
Cody, it looks like you’re running ClamAV 0.101.2. That version is too old. If you upgrade to 0.103.4, you should be able to start downloading the db files again.

What kind of system are you on? Is ClamAV prepackaged for you or did you build from source?

-Maarten
Sent from a tiny keyboard

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
its prepackaged on a mailcleaner appliance, not using any standard locations for the binaries or configs and no updates available from them, an out of date database would have been better than a totally broken AV, which is where im stuck now, its frustrating that we're blaming network connectivity instead of that its too old, meaning that its not a recommendtation to upgrade but a requirement

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
101 should be fine. Try deleting your mirrors.dat file and see what happens?

Sent from my ? iPad

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
joel, i have tried that a number of times over the last couple of days still the same results

Cody Allen, Vice President of IT
Infuserve America, Inc / Pharmetric Laboratory, LLC
11880 28th St. N. Ste. 200
Saint Petersburg, FL 33716
P: 727-573-7847
F: 727-573-0535
cody@infuserveamerica.com <mailto:cody@infuserveamerica.com>
We're on the Web: www.Infuserveamerica.com <https://www.infuserveamerica.com/>

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, Cody Allen wrote:

>>> ... frustrated, have spent days with a broken clamav nothing seems
>>> to work to download the db. ...

You could at least have subscribed to the announcements list. This is
from two months ago and is especially relevant to you:

https://blog.clamav.net/2021/09/changes-to-clamav-end-of-life-policy.html

See also

https://blog.clamav.net/2020/07/freshclam-cdiffs-effect-on-bandwidth.html
https://blog.clamav.net/2021/04/clamav-01032-security-patch-release.html
https://blog.clamav.net/2021/11/clamav-01034-and-01041-patch-releases.html

If you'd read these you'd have been warned well in advance and there'd
have been no need to grumble on this list that something which you get
for free (and which is apparently rather important to you) has stopped
working because you didn't bother to maintain it properly.

> its frustrating that we're blaming network connectivity instead of
> that its too old ...

Your interpretation of

>>> WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
>>> WARNING: Local version: 0.101.2 Recommended version: 0.103.4
>>> DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav

differs from mine.

Please also look at

https://www.debian.org/News/2020/20200709

which tells you that long-term support for Debian 8 (Jessie) ended
more than a year ago. There is little excuse for running Debian 8
sixteen months after its end of life. If you absolutely must run it,
then at least have the good grace to understand the implications and
for heaven's sake take this stuff seriously. If you don't, you're a
problem for the rest of us just waiting to happen.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
fair enough, i really dont need the lecture, i happen to manage more than just 1 application. yes i may sound like im grumbling. these kind of responses are exactly why i dont post questions. as far as your opinion keep it to yourself, its unproductive and benfits nothing.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021, Cody Allen wrote:

> fair enough, i really dont need the lecture, i happen to manage more than just 1 application. yes i may sound like im grumbling. these kind of responses are exactly why i dont post questions. as far as your opinion keep it to yourself, its unproductive and benfits nothing.

thanks cody
it benefits those of us who read these messages to learn

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
thats why i came here, i was out of ideas, but these kind of response dont benefit anybody, yes the links are appreciated but not the responses.

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
Dne 18. 11. 21 v 13:09 Cody Allen napsal(a):
> frustrated, have spent days with a broken clamav nothing seems to work
> to download the db. can someone please shed some light on what is wrong
> and how to address the problem. running on a debian jessie appliance. at
> this point im dead in the water, without the databse the service tanks
> and will not start, freshclam will not download and have found no method
> to manually get or update the db.
>
> Using IPv6 aware code
> Max retries == 3
> Querying current.cvd.clamav.net <http://current.cvd.clamav.net>
> TTL: 962
> Software version from DNS: 0.103.4
> WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
> WARNING: Local version: 0.101.2 Recommended version: 0.103.4
> DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav
> <https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav>
> Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
> <http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd>
> Ignoring mirror 104.16.218.84 (due to previous errors)
> Ignoring mirror 104.16.219.84 (due to previous errors)
> Ignoring mirror 104.16.218.84 (due to previous errors)
> Ignoring mirror 104.16.219.84 (due to previous errors)
> WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
> <http://database.clamav.net>
> Trying again in 5 secs...

I have seen something similar on an older instance of clamav, where the
database was seriously out-of date. The problem was that the download of
new databases took too long. It worked, but was slow, and freshclam
timed out before finishing the download and started over again. I think
I had to increase "ReceiveTimeout 30" in freshclam.conf.

--
Best Regards
Vladislav Kurz

Re: [clamav-users] clamav DOA [ In reply to ]
thanks, i will give that a run and see how she does