Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] clamconf not installed by package manager
I have installed CLAMAV following the documentation and it mentions
creating / checking configuration settings with clamconf. However,
clamconf has not been installed nor can I see it as a separate
package.
Can anyone please advise how I get this installed.

Thanks

System Info:
==========
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release: 11
Codename: bullseye

Package details:
============
Package: clamav
Version: 0.103.3+dfsg-0+deb11u1
Section: utils
Maintainer: ClamAV Team <pkg-clamav-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 794 kB

Files the package installed into /usr/bin:

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] clamconf not installed by package manager [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Wed, 22 Sep 2021, Paul Furnival via clamav-users wrote:

> I have installed CLAMAV following the documentation

Please state exactly *which* documentation in questions like this.

> ... it mentions creating / checking configuration settings with
> clamconf. However, clamconf has not been installed nor can I see it
> as a separate package.
> Can anyone please advise how I get this installed.

You have installed from a Debian package. I can't say I'd recommend
that if you're capable of installing from the sources. Although it's
much quicker and easier to install a package, you then have to live
with Debian's little insanities. One of them is that to get clamconf
you need to install the Debian package 'clamav-daemon'.

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/amd64/clamav-daemon/filelist

This will in all probablility start the clamd daemon and chew up a
gigabyte of RAM indefinitely, which maybe you didn't want it to do.

Alternatively you might be able to just pilfer the clamconf binary
from that package and drop it in /usr/bin/.

> System Info:
> ==========
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release: 11
> Codename: bullseye
>

> Package details:
> ============
> Package: clamav
> Version: 0.103.3+dfsg-0+deb11u1
> Section: utils
> Maintainer: ClamAV Team <pkg-clamav-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> Installed-Size: 794 kB
>

> Files the package installed into /usr/bin:
> =============================
> 1) clambc
> 2) clamscan
> 3) clamsubmit
> 4) freshclam

Perhaps the maintainer had a reason not to put clamconf in that list,
maybe because in addition to looking for freshclam.conf, clamconf also
looks for clamd.conf (which is also in the clamav-daemon package). In
this case the way Debian has broken the ClamAV into pieces for its
packages seems, well, broken - and probably not now easily fixable.

--

73,
Ged.