Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Cooldown much too long
I had that problem with "Incremental update failed, trying to download main.cvd" also in
version 0.103.2 of clamav on Ubuntu 18.04 .

So I waited and updated with the hope that 0.103.3 would solve it.
But still that error is there.
So I simply cleaned /var/lib/clamav (moved the content to another directory) and now I get
the message:

"This means that you have been rate limited by the CDN"

Why that?
Simply because I tried to update several times previously and got no exact information,
why my update failed?

Tried after approx 5 min and got the message:
"You are still on cool-down until after: 2021-07-27 03:42:35"
which means more than 24hrs!!

Why didn't I get that error message about "This means that you have been rate limited by
the CDN"
with version 0.103.2 and some information about how long this "cooldown" was in the beginning.

This missing error message in 0.103.2 and 0.103.3 is surely a bug that causes uninformed
users enlarging their "cooldown"
phase without knowing it.
:-(

BR

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Cooldown much too long [ In reply to ]
> On Jul 26, 2021, at 6:02 PM, Markus Egg via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:
>
> I had that problem with "Incremental update failed, trying to download main.cvd" also in
> version 0.103.2 of clamav on Ubuntu 18.04 .
>
> So I waited and updated with the hope that 0.103.3 would solve it.
> But still that error is there.
> So I simply cleaned /var/lib/clamav (moved the content to another directory) and now I get the message:
>
> "This means that you have been rate limited by the CDN"
>
> Why that?
> Simply because I tried to update several times previously and got no exact information, why my update failed?
>
> Tried after approx 5 min and got the message:
> "You are still on cool-down until after: 2021-07-27 03:42:35"
> which means more than 24hrs!!
>
> Why didn't I get that error message about "This means that you have been rate limited by the CDN"
> with version 0.103.2 and some information about how long this "cooldown" was in the beginning.
>
> This missing error message in 0.103.2 and 0.103.3 is surely a bug that causes uninformed users enlarging their "cooldown"
> phase without knowing it.

The cooldown is 24 hours from the last time you violated the rate limit.