Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Fw: Freshclam ERROR: Initialization error! WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option

Re: [clamav-users] Fw: Freshclam ERROR: Initialization error! WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, TH123 via clamav-users wrote:

> I'm having a problem with freshclam.
>
> $ sudo freshclam
> WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option SafeBrowsing at /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf:22
> ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process
> ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateLogFile = /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log).
> ERROR: initialize: libfreshclam init failed.
> ERROR: Initialization error!
> $

> This happened after an OS update. I have Pop! OS (version of Ubuntu)
> and it is 20.04. Before the update, everything was working fine. I
> purged all files related to clamav and freshclam and reinstalled
> with no change.

Presumably you're not asking about the warning, but about the errors.

Do you already have a freshclam daemon running? It would not be at
all unusual for an OS would start one at boot. Use 'top' or 'ps' or
whatever tool you're familiar with to check for the existence of a
freshclam process. If you have one running already you can either let
it do its job, or kill it and start another one.

If that doesn't seem to be the problem let us know. See mail of mine
to this list in the last day or so for a bit more about freshclam, or
Read The Fine Manual.

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Fw: Freshclam ERROR: Initialization error! WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option [ In reply to ]
Thanks for any consideration of the problem, but I found the solution.

sudo freshclam command is used for updating your antivirus database, which cannot be run while another instance (auto update) is already running.

Stop auto uptade process: sudo /etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam stop

Run manual update: sudo freshclam

Re-Start auto update process: sudo /etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam start

I found this on: https://askubuntu.com/questions/880253/sudo-freshclam-not-working-error-cant-open-var-log-clamav-freshclam-log-in-a#880282

Thanks again.

Re: [clamav-users] Fw: Freshclam ERROR: Initialization error! WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, TH123 via clamav-users wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> > On Friday, July 2nd, 2021 at 1:06 PM, TH123 <round12345@protonmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm having a problem with freshclam.
> > >
> > > $ sudo freshclam
> > > WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option SafeBrowsing at /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf:22
> > > ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process
> > Do you already have a freshclam daemon running?
>
> Thanks for any consideration of the problem, but I found the solution.
>
> sudo freshclam command is used for updating your antivirus database,
> which cannot be run while another instance (auto update) is already
> running.

That's right. If that doesn't sound like what I said, you need to
think a bit more about what you're doing.

Re: [clamav-users] Fw: Freshclam ERROR: Initialization error! WARNING: Ignoring deprecated option [ In reply to ]