I tried to use "clamscan --alert-broken-media=yes ag.jpg" to detect

spoiled JPEG files by RYUK ransomware.

Seems that it was not detected - ag.jpg OK.

Perhaps I use it not correctly?

Please advise .

I use clamav 0.103.3 .

Thanks,

Zvi
Re: [clamav-users] Broken media detection [ In reply to ]
Hello Zvi,

Le 24/06/2021 à 10:09, Zvi Kave via clamav-users a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> I tried to use "clamscan --alert-broken-media=yes ag.jpg" to detect
>
> spoiled JPEG files by RYUK ransomware.
>
> Seems that it was not detected - ag.jpg OK.
>
> Perhaps I use it not correctly?

Perhaps JPG file format is strictly correct (even if the datas of the
image are corrupted).

You should send your sample to https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware

--
Cordialement / Best regards,

Arnaud Jacques
Gérant de SecuriteInfo.com

Téléphone : +33-(0)3.60.47.09.81
E-mail : aj@securiteinfo.com
Site web : https://www.securiteinfo.com
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/SecuriteInfocom/132872523492286
Twitter : @SecuriteInfoCom
Signatures for ClamAV antivirus : http://ow.ly/LqfdL

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Broken media detection [ In reply to ]
Hi Arnaud,

When I try to open it, I get error message:

agam.jpg:

It looks like we don't support this file format.

File is attached here.

Thanks,

Zvi

You should send your sample to https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware"]https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware

Re: [clamav-users] Broken media detection [ In reply to ]
Zvi,

> When I try to open it, I get error message:
>
> agam.jpg:
>
> It looks like we don't support this file format.

If you look at the content of the file with an hexadecimal editor, you
see garbage. It has no known file format.

The file format is defined with the content of a file, not with the
filename/extension.

For me, and for ClamAV, it is not an image. Verify with "file" command
line tool :

#file agam.jpg
agam.jpg: data

Re: [clamav-users] Broken media detection [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021, Zvi Kave via clamav-users wrote:
> On 6/24/2021 11:19 AM, Arnaud Jacques wrote:
>> Le 24/06/2021 à 10:09, Zvi Kave via clamav-users a écrit :
>>
>>> I tried to use "clamscan --alert-broken-media=yes ag.jpg" to detect
>>> spoiled JPEG files by RYUK ransomware.
>>> Please advise .
>>
>> You should send your sample to https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware
> agam.jpg:
>
> File is attached here.

You asked for advice. The excellent advice given to you by M. Jacques
was to submit the potentially dangerous file to the ClamAV reporting site
- not to send it to thousands of people on this mailing list.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] Broken media detection [ In reply to ]
Ged is right to be wary about sharing files with the mailing list. Next time please put it in an encrypted zip and give us the password so we can choose to extract it if desired – and preferably share it by some other means like a link to a file sharing service instead of attaching it to an email.

That said, I took a peek at the file. When you say “spoiled by ransomware” I think you mean “encrypted by ransomware”. Though the file retains its .jpg file name extension, the file contents appear encrypted. If you open it with a hex editor, the bytes look “random”.

The reason ClamAV’s –alert-broken-media option isn’t detecting anything is that ClamAV doesn’t use file extensions to determine file type; ClamAV tries to determine the type by evaluating the file contents. In this case, since the file has been encrypted there is no way to know what type the file is. In cases like this, ClamAV usually scans the file as raw binary, or in this case it thinks it is UTF16-BE. In any case, because ClamAV has no idea it used to a JPEG so the feature doesn’t cause an alert.

Regards,
Micah