Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon.
Hi,
I can't start the clamd@scan.service and get the following error. Please
help to resolve it. Thanks.
[image: image.png]

BR,
Eric.
Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:

> I can't start the clamd@scan.service and get the following error. Please
> help to resolve it. Thanks.
> [image: image.png]

Please provide enough information for us to be able to help.

For the kind of information needed, please see for example the list at

https://marc.info/?l=clamav-users&m=162228807001569&w=2

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ged,
Thanks for your help.
The ClamAV is running in the Oracle Linux Server release 7.6 and its
version is clamav.x86_64 0:0.103.2-1.el7.
I got the following error after I executed the "systemctl start
clamd@scan.service".
[image: image.png]

BR,
Eric.

G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> ? 2021?6?15?
?? ??6:10???

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:
> G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> ? 2021?6?15? ?? ??6:10???
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:
> >
> > > I can't start the clamd@scan.service and get the following error.
> > > Please help to resolve it. Thanks.
> > > [image: image.png]
> >
> > Please provide enough information for us to be able to help.
> > For the kind of information needed, please see for example the list at
> > https://marc.info/?l=clamav-users&m=162228807001569&w=2
>
> The ClamAV is running in the Oracle Linux Server release 7.6 and its
> version is clamav.x86_64 0:0.103.2-1.el7.

Items 3, 5 and 6 on the list?

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ged,
I finished the installation and configuration according to these commands
in the link:https://www.opencli.com/linux/rhel-centos-install-clamav.

BR,
Eric.

G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> ? 2021?6?15?
?? ??6:40???

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Eric,
The most helpful logs will be those of the ClamAV daemon itself. Those
should be configured in the clamd.conf file or, if configured, via
journalctl.

It would also be helpful to know what the clamd systemctl configuration
settings are, as well as the clamd.conf settings. A misconfiguration in
where the PID file is expected (for example) can cause systemd to have
issues starting the service.

Additionally, you should try starting clamd and clamscan by hand to see
if they provide additional, more helpful, messages than the limited value
messages from systemD.

--Maarten

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:
> G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> $B1w(B 2021$BG/(B6$B7n(B15$BF|(B $B=5Fs(B $B2<8a(B6:40$BUmF;!'(B
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:
>>> G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> $B1w(B 2021$BG/(B6$B7n(B15$BF|(B $B=5Fs(B $B2<8a(B6:10$BUmF;!'(B

>>> The ClamAV is running in the Oracle Linux Server release 7.6 and its
>>> version is clamav.x86_64 0:0.103.2-1.el7.
>>
>> Items 3, 5 and 6 on the list?
>
> I finished the installation and configuration according to these commands
> in the link:https://www.opencli.com/linux/rhel-centos-install-clamav.

The first word in both items 5 and 6 on the list is "exactly".

Unfortunately my Web browser cannot properly render the page at the
location which you gave. Even if it did, as those instructions are
written largely in a language which I cannot read, I cannot tell how
closely they resemble the official documentation. You say you have
Oracle Linux, but the instructions appear to be for RHEL/CentOS. You
may or may not have followed them. Altogether, it doesn't help much.

To install from source, the official documentation is at

https://www.clamav.net/documents/installation-on-redhat-and-centos-linux-distributions

The documentation for installation from Fedora etc. packages can be
found by following the links at

https://www.clamav.net/download.html#otherversions

The official documentation is all in English, are you able to read it?
If so perhaps you should review all the official documentation. If it
differs from the instructions which you have followed it might be best
if you undo everything you did to install and configure ClamAV in the
first instance and carefully follow the official documentation.

Please note that when they created their ClamAV packages, Red Hat and
similar distributions made what I would call some very wilful changes
to the upstream software. It is much easier to investigate problems
if, when so doing, we can at least talk about the same configuration
file names. For that reason, if you will need help, I recommend that
you follow the source installation instructions if you possibly can.
It is not difficult to install ClamAV from source. You will probably
need to install some library header files (often these are named just
as the corresponding executable packages but with the '-dev' suffix).
Another advantage of using source packages is that you can support an
older system more easily than you can with a packaged installation.

If in the meantime you can let us have the result of typing at a shell
prompt the command

clamconf -n

it might help us. Please do not post a screenshot. Please cut-and-
paste the command line and the output text directly into an email, so
that what you send is plain text, not an image.

Oracle Linux 7.6 was based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7. The page at

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata#Maintenance_Support_1_Phase

shows that even extended support for the parent distribution (RHEL7.6)
ended two weeks ago, and version 7.7 support ends just over two months
from now. Rather than attempt to prop up a retired distribution with
things like virus scanning, it's probably time to upgrade your system.

You might then also find it much easier to install and run ClamAV, as
relatively recently there have been changes in ClamAV which required
upgraded versions of some of the supporting software. Unfortunately I
am not familiar enough with the Red Hat and Oracle ways of doing
things to know if that is likely to be causing problems in your case.
The archives for this mailing list will have more information, but it
may take some effort on your part to dig it all out.

HTH

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ged,
The ClamAV was installed in the oracle server two years ago. The
clamd@scan.service could be started and running for a long time. The
following output is from the command of "clamconf -n" in the oracle server.
Please help me confirm if it could find the cause. Thanks.

[root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamd.d]# clamconf -n
Checking configuration files in /etc

Config file: clamd.d/scan.conf
------------------------------
LogSyslog = "yes"
User = "clamscan"

Config file: freshclam.conf
---------------------------
DatabaseMirror = "database.clamav.net"

mail/clamav-milter.conf not found

Software settings
-----------------
Version: 0.103.2
Optional features supported: MEMPOOL IPv6 AUTOIT_EA06 BZIP2 LIBXML2 PCRE2
ICONV JSON

Database information
--------------------
Database directory: /var/lib/clamav
daily.cld: version 26202, sigs: 3989629, built on Tue Jun 15 19:21:24 2021
bytecode.cld: version 333, sigs: 92, built on Mon Mar 8 23:21:51 2021
main.cld: version 59, sigs: 4564902, built on Mon Nov 25 21:56:15 2019
bytecode.cvd: version 333, sigs: 92, built on Mon Mar 8 23:21:51 2021
main.cvd: version 59, sigs: 4564902, built on Mon Nov 25 21:56:15 2019
Total number of signatures: 13119617

Platform information
--------------------
uname: Linux 4.1.12-124.27.1.el7uek.x86_64 #2 SMP Mon May 13 08:56:17 PDT
2019 x86_64
OS: linux-gnu, ARCH: x86_64, CPU: x86_64
zlib version: 1.2.7 (1.2.7), compile flags: a9
platform id: 0x0a217b7b0800000000040805

Build information
-----------------
GNU C: 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-44) (4.8.5)
CPPFLAGS: -I/usr/include/libprelude
CFLAGS: -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
-fno-strict-aliasing -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
CXXFLAGS: -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
LDFLAGS: -Wl,-z,relro -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld
-Wl,--as-needed -lprelude
Configure: '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
'--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
'--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib64'
'--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var'
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--enable-milter' '--disable-clamav'
'--disable-static' '--disable-zlib-vcheck' '--disable-unrar'
'--enable-id-check' '--enable-dns' '--with-dbdir=/var/lib/clamav'
'--with-group=clamupdate' '--with-user=clamupdate' '--disable-rpath'
'--disable-silent-rules' '--enable-clamdtop' '--enable-prelude'
'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
-specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld
-Wl,--as-needed' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
-grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64
-mtune=generic' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'
sizeof(void*) = 8
Engine flevel: 123, dconf: 123
[root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamd.d]#

BR,
Eric.

G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> ? 2021?6?15?
?? ??11:15???

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Eric,

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:

> The ClamAV was installed in the oracle server two years ago. The
> clamd@scan.service could be started and running for a long time. The
> following output is from the command of "clamconf -n" in the oracle server.
> Please help me confirm if it could find the cause. Thanks.
>
> [root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamd.d]# clamconf -n
> [...snip...]
> Database information
> --------------------
> Database directory: /var/lib/clamav
> daily.cld: version 26202, sigs: 3989629, built on Tue Jun 15 19:21:24 2021
> bytecode.cld: version 333, sigs: 92, built on Mon Mar 8 23:21:51 2021
> main.cld: version 59, sigs: 4564902, built on Mon Nov 25 21:56:15 2019
> bytecode.cvd: version 333, sigs: 92, built on Mon Mar 8 23:21:51 2021
> main.cvd: version 59, sigs: 4564902, built on Mon Nov 25 21:56:15 2019
> Total number of signatures: 13119617
> [...snip...]

I haven't looked in depth at the output but at first sight this looks
wrong. Again I don't know if it's causing your problem. For both the
main.* and the bytecode.* signatures in your database, you have both a
.cld and a .cvd file. They are two different representations of the
same thing; a .cvd file is compressed and a .cld file is not. Perhaps
you can try deleting one of them, then (re)start clamd.

The build information is a little overwhelming compared to mine (see
below). I don't know what it might be telling me without spending a
bit of time on it, and I don't have enough spare time at the moment to
do that. If you can wait, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.
It would be much less effort if you built ClamAV from source yourself,
and test the resulting clamd binary on your system - or even if I did
that for you.

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ged,
Thanks for your help. I deleted bytecode.cvd and main.cvd but the service
still not be started. The output is as below. I can wait till you are
available. Thanks.

[root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamav]# ls
bytecode.cld daily.cld main.cld mirrors.dat
[root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamav]# systemctl start clamd@scan.service
Job for clamd@scan.service failed because the control process exited with
error code. See "systemctl status clamd@scan.service" and "journalctl -xe"
for details.
[root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamav]# journalctl -xe
--
-- Unit clamd@scan.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit
clamd@scan.service entered failed state.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: clamd@scan.service
failed.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: clamd@scan.service
holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopped clamd scanner
(scan) daemon.
-- Subject: Unit clamd@scan.service has finished shutting down
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit clamd@scan.service has finished shutting down.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting clamd
scanner (scan) daemon...
-- Subject: Unit clamd@scan.service has begun start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain clamd[4888]: Received 0 file
descriptor(s) from systemd.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain clamd[4888]: Please define server
type (local and/or TCP).
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain clamd[4887]: ERROR: Please define
server type (local and/or TCP).
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: clamd@scan.service:
control process exited, code=exited status=1
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start clamd
scanner (scan) daemon.
-- Subject: Unit clamd@scan.service has failed
[...]
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: start request
repeated too quickly for clamd@scan.service
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start clamd
scanner (scan) daemon.
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- The result is failed.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit
clamd@scan.service entered failed state.
Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: clamd@scan.service
failed.

BR,
Eric.

G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> ? 2021?6?16?
?? ??2:43???

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Eric,

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:

> [...] I deleted bytecode.cvd and main.cvd but the service still not
> be started. The output is as below.
> [...]
> [root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamav]# systemctl start clamd@scan.service
> Job for clamd@scan.service failed [...] "journalctl -xe" for details.
> [root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamav]# journalctl -xe
> [...]
> Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting clamd scanner (scan) daemon...
> [...]
> Jun 16 16:23:28 tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain clamd[4887]: ERROR: Please define server type (local and/or TCP).
> [...]

In the clamd configuration file there should be a definition for the
socket on which clamd will listen - it is either a Unix socket, or a
TCP socket. Do you have a line in the file which defines the socket?
If not, since you say that the scanner has been working for two years
it seems that something (possibly an upgrade?) has changed it. It's
not a bad idea to include configuration files in your backups. Here
is last night's backup of my clamd server's clamd configuration file;
as it happens it was a 'full' backup (using BackupPC), it is backup
number 483 and its size is 27752 bytes, last modified in May:

clamd_tcp3.conf file 0644 483 27752 2021-05-15 13:59:48

I often run more than one clamd daemon, which is why I names this
differently from the defaults for upstream and the distributions.

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ged,
The ClamAV was never upgraded until I found the service couldn't be started
yesterday. I executed the command of "clamconf" and got the following
results. Thanks for your help.

Checking configuration files in /etc

Config file: clamd.d/scan.conf

------------------------------

AlertExceedsMax disabled

PreludeEnable disabled

PreludeAnalyzerName disabled

LogFile disabled

LogFileUnlock disabled

LogFileMaxSize = "1048576"

LogTime disabled

LogClean disabled

LogSyslog = "yes"

LogFacility = "LOG_LOCAL6"

LogVerbose disabled

LogRotate disabled

ExtendedDetectionInfo disabled

PidFile disabled

TemporaryDirectory disabled

DatabaseDirectory = "/var/lib/clamav"

OfficialDatabaseOnly disabled

LocalSocket disabled

LocalSocketGroup disabled

LocalSocketMode disabled

FixStaleSocket = "yes"

TCPSocket disabled

TCPAddr disabled

MaxConnectionQueueLength = "200"

StreamMaxLength = "26214400"

StreamMinPort = "1024"

StreamMaxPort = "2048"

MaxThreads = "10"

ReadTimeout = "120"

CommandReadTimeout = "30"

SendBufTimeout = "500"

MaxQueue = "100"

IdleTimeout = "30"

ExcludePath disabled

MaxDirectoryRecursion = "15"

FollowDirectorySymlinks disabled

FollowFileSymlinks disabled

CrossFilesystems = "yes"

SelfCheck = "600"

ConcurrentDatabaseReload = "yes"

DisableCache disabled

VirusEvent disabled

ExitOnOOM disabled

AllowAllMatchScan = "yes"

Foreground disabled

Debug disabled

LeaveTemporaryFiles disabled

User = "clamscan"

Bytecode = "yes"

BytecodeSecurity = "TrustSigned"

BytecodeTimeout = "10000"

BytecodeUnsigned disabled

BytecodeMode = "Auto"

DetectPUA disabled

ExcludePUA disabled

IncludePUA disabled

ScanPE = "yes"

ScanELF = "yes"

ScanMail = "yes"

ScanPartialMessages disabled

PhishingSignatures = "yes"

PhishingScanURLs = "yes"

HeuristicAlerts = "yes"

HeuristicScanPrecedence disabled

StructuredDataDetection disabled

StructuredMinCreditCardCount = "3"

StructuredMinSSNCount = "3"

StructuredSSNFormatNormal = "yes"

StructuredSSNFormatStripped disabled

ScanHTML = "yes"

ScanOLE2 = "yes"

AlertBrokenExecutables disabled

AlertBrokenMedia disabled

AlertEncrypted disabled

StructuredCCOnly disabled

AlertEncryptedArchive disabled

AlertEncryptedDoc disabled

AlertOLE2Macros disabled

AlertPhishingSSLMismatch disabled

AlertPhishingCloak disabled

AlertPartitionIntersection disabled

ScanPDF = "yes"

ScanSWF = "yes"

ScanXMLDOCS = "yes"

ScanHWP3 = "yes"

ScanArchive = "yes"

ForceToDisk disabled

MaxScanTime disabled

MaxScanSize = "104857600"

MaxFileSize = "26214400"

MaxRecursion = "16"

MaxFiles = "10000"

MaxEmbeddedPE = "10485760"

MaxHTMLNormalize = "10485760"

MaxHTMLNoTags = "2097152"

MaxScriptNormalize = "5242880"

MaxZipTypeRcg = "1048576"

MaxPartitions = "50"

MaxIconsPE = "100"

MaxRecHWP3 = "16"

PCREMatchLimit = "100000"

PCRERecMatchLimit = "2000"

PCREMaxFileSize = "26214400"

OnAccessMountPath disabled

OnAccessIncludePath disabled

OnAccessExcludePath disabled

OnAccessExcludeRootUID disabled

OnAccessExcludeUID disabled

OnAccessExcludeUname disabled

OnAccessMaxFileSize = "5242880"

OnAccessDisableDDD disabled

OnAccessPrevention disabled

OnAccessExtraScanning disabled

OnAccessCurlTimeout = "5000"

OnAccessMaxThreads = "5"

OnAccessRetryAttempts disabled

OnAccessDenyOnError disabled

DevACOnly disabled

DevACDepth disabled

DevPerformance disabled

DevLiblog disabled

DisableCertCheck disabled

AlgorithmicDetection = "yes"

BlockMax disabled

PhishingAlwaysBlockSSLMismatch disabled

PhishingAlwaysBlockCloak disabled

PartitionIntersection disabled

OLE2BlockMacros disabled

ArchiveBlockEncrypted disabled

Config file: freshclam.conf

---------------------------

LogFileMaxSize = "1048576"

LogTime disabled

LogSyslog disabled

LogFacility = "LOG_LOCAL6"

LogVerbose disabled

LogRotate disabled

PidFile disabled

DatabaseDirectory = "/var/lib/clamav"

Foreground disabled

Debug disabled

UpdateLogFile disabled

DatabaseOwner = "clamupdate"

Checks = "12"

DNSDatabaseInfo = "current.cvd.clamav.net"

DatabaseMirror = "database.clamav.net"

PrivateMirror disabled

MaxAttempts = "3"

ScriptedUpdates = "yes"

TestDatabases = "yes"

CompressLocalDatabase disabled

ExtraDatabase disabled

ExcludeDatabase disabled

DatabaseCustomURL disabled

HTTPProxyServer disabled

HTTPProxyPort disabled

HTTPProxyUsername disabled

HTTPProxyPassword disabled

HTTPUserAgent disabled

NotifyClamd = "/etc/clamd.d/scan.conf"

OnUpdateExecute disabled

OnErrorExecute disabled

OnOutdatedExecute disabled

LocalIPAddress disabled

ConnectTimeout = "30"

ReceiveTimeout disabled

Bytecode = "yes"

mail/clamav-milter.conf not found

Software settings

-----------------

Version: 0.103.2

Optional features supported: MEMPOOL IPv6 AUTOIT_EA06 BZIP2 LIBXML2 PCRE2
ICONV JSON

Database information

--------------------

Database directory: /var/lib/clamav

daily.cld: version 26203, sigs: 3989972, built on Wed Jun 16 19:07:58 2021

bytecode.cld: version 333, sigs: 92, built on Mon Mar 8 23:21:51 2021

main.cld: version 59, sigs: 4564902, built on Mon Nov 25 21:56:15 2019

Total number of signatures: 8554966

Platform information

--------------------

[...]

?? ??6:25???

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Eric,

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Eric Jin via clamav-users wrote:
> G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> ? 2021?6?16? ?? ??6:25???
>
>> In the clamd configuration file there should be a definition for the
>> socket on which clamd will listen - it is either a Unix socket, or a
>> TCP socket. Do you have a line in the file which defines the socket?
>> If not, since you say that the scanner has been working for two years
>> it seems that something (possibly an upgrade?) has changed it. ...
>
> The ClamAV was never upgraded until I found the service couldn't be
> started yesterday. I executed the command of "clamconf" and got the
> following results. [...]
> [...]
> Checking configuration files in /etc
>
> Config file: clamd.d/scan.conf
>
> [...]
> LocalSocket disabled
>
> LocalSocketGroup disabled
>
> LocalSocketMode disabled
>
> FixStaleSocket = "yes"
>
> TCPSocket disabled
>
> TCPAddr disabled
> [...]

If everything you say is true then I suspect that clamd has never run
on your system. There is no local socket defined and no TCP socket,
so clamd has nothing to which it can listen.

If you wish to run the clamd daemon, you *must* choose which type of
socket you want it to use, and set that up in its configuration file.

Re: [clamav-users] Failed to start Generic clamav scanner daemon. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ged,
Please teach me how to configure these sockets. Why can it scan these files
as below if the clamd never run?

[root@tplinuxuhgdb2 clamav]# clamscan -r /home
/home/oracle/.bash_logout: OK
/home/oracle/.bashrc: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gdm/session.log.old: Empty file
/home/oracle/.cache/gdm/session.log: Empty file
/home/oracle/.cache/imsettings/log.bak: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/imsettings/log: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-shell/update-check-3.22: Empty file
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-shell/update-check-3.28: Empty file
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/db-version.txt: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/meta.db: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/db-locale.txt: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/ontologies.gvdb: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/parser-sha1.txt: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/locale-for-miner-user-guides.txt: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/locale-for-miner-apps.txt: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/last-crawl.txt: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/first-index.txt: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/meta.db-wal: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/tracker/meta.db-shm: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/event-sound-cache.tdb.tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain.x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/abrt/applet_dirlist: Empty file
/home/oracle/.cache/abrt/lastnotification: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-software/3.22/ratings/odrs.json: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-software/3.22/extensions/gnome.json: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-software/3.22/flatpak/installation-tmp/repo/config:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-software/3.22/flatpak/installation-tmp/.changed:
Empty file
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-software/odrs/ratings.json: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gnome-software/shell-extensions/gnome.json: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry.x86_64.bin: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/3f821257dd33660ba7bbb45c32deb84c-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/CACHEDIR.TAG: OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/46d51d90fe9d963f6f4186edb936a931-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/75726aeed9fe8691fd29315754d820cc-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/3830d5c3ddfd5cd38a049b759396e72e-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/3c3fb04d32a5211b073874b125d29701-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/2e1514a9fdd499050989183bb65136db-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/beeeeb3dfe132a8a0633a017c99ce0c0-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/2881ed3fd21ca306ddad6f9b0dd3189f-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/e0636055caa850f70f1a6db008fc4729-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/3640555adad8a8f6978400293cfce7ab-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/47f48679023f44a4d1e44699a69464f6-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/29c8f5b6bf15d25ebb2e963855ab41be-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/87f5e051180a7a75f16eb6fe7dbd3749-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/928306c3ad40271d946e41014a49fc28-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/900402270e15d763a6e008bb2d4c7686-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/0fef740e1edd47736fa2cccff935ab7c-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/b6801251-8f1b-4121-b2eb-93877adc50d2-le64.cache-7:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/0251a5afa6ac727a1e32b7d4d4aa7cf0-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/df893b4576ad6107f9397134092c4059-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/f132fa2327207a6ac3298c0518879731-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/d51eeab6-f16e-4e4f-93b5-b2eb9b42ae7f-le64.cache-7:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/12b26b760a24f8b4feb03ad48a333a72-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/fa2b533b7056bdadb961f088bc0a978b-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/e26bf336397aae6fcef4d3803472adec-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/b14e78aa9400ae7a28193faee1d62280-le64.cache-7:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/614d1caaa4d7914789410f6367de37ca-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/d290456e58f67f52b0f8f224126f9ea8-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/12513961c6e7090f8648812f9eaf65d6-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/e4c10840-9d0d-4ca6-84e7-36328cdd7cd1-le64.cache-7:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/f9d379b867d7c69c85310a4f24e5228f-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/d759ee9cd048e494517a1be23d25a662-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/f951a6bc01c50d58ac4af16a0108457e-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/99a1ce9f8b6a0434aadb01d3779b0780-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/211368abcb0ff835c229ff05c9ec01dc-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/ac68f755438cc3dc5a526084839fc7ca-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/b4d0b56f766d89640448751fcd18ec1e-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/81a173283b451552b599cfaafd6236bd-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/d3379abda271c4acd2ad0c01f565d0b0-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/860639f272b8b4b3094f9e399e41bccd-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/0b1bcc92b4d25cc154d77dafe3bceaa0-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/b67b32625a2bb51b023d3814a918f351-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/b887eea8f1b96e1d899b44ed6681fc27-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/830f035fa84a65ce80e050178dbb630d-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/e61abf8156cc476151baa07d67337cae-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/c46020d7221988a13df853d2b46304fc-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/711dae798b6bff4224ea2776edcb5c93-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/fontconfig/b79f3aaa7d385a141ab53ec885cc22a8-le64.cache-4:
OK
/home/oracle/.cache/event-sound-cache.tdb.d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82.x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu:
OK
/home/oracle/.config/user-dirs.dirs: OK
/home/oracle/.config/user-dirs.locale: OK
/home/oracle/.config/pulse/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-device-volumes.tdb:
OK
/home/oracle/.config/pulse/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-stream-volumes.tdb:
OK
/home/oracle/.config/pulse/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-card-database.tdb:
OK
/home/oracle/.config/pulse/cookie: OK
/home/oracle/.config/pulse/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-default-sink: OK
/home/oracle/.config/pulse/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-default-source:
OK
/home/oracle/.config/ibus/bus/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-unix-1: OK
/home/oracle/.config/ibus/bus/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-unix-0: OK
/home/oracle/.config/dconf/user: OK
/home/oracle/.config/evolution/sources/system-proxy.source: OK
/home/oracle/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks: OK
/home/oracle/.config/nautilus/desktop-metadata: OK
/home/oracle/.config/gnome-initial-setup-done: OK
/home/oracle/.config/yelp/yelp.cfg: OK
/home/oracle/.config/Trolltech.conf: OK
/home/oracle/.ICEauthority: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/keyrings/user.keystore: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gnome-shell/application_state: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gnome-shell/notifications: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/telepathy/mission-control/accounts.cfg: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/telepathy/mission-control/accounts-goa.cfg: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/contacts.db: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/evolution/calendar/system/calendar.ics: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gsettings-data-convert: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gnome-settings-daemon/input-sources-converted:
Empty file
/home/oracle/.local/share/tracker/data/tracker-store.journal: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/tracker/data/tracker-store.ontology.journal: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/root: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home-803ecbd3.log: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/root-a82d60ad.log: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/flatpak/repo/config: OK
/home/oracle/.local/share/flatpak/.changed: Empty file
/home/oracle/.local/share/app-info/xmls/extensions-web.xml: OK
/home/oracle/.esd_auth: OK
/home/oracle/.bash_history: OK
/home/oracle/.bash_profile: OK
/home/oracle/start_oracle.sh: OK
/home/oracle/Script/clear_arch.sh: OK
/home/oracle/Script/copy_to_nas.sh: OK
/home/oracle/Script/rmanbackup.20190323.sh: OK
/home/oracle/Script/rmanbackup.sh: OK
/home/oracle/Script/clear_old_file.sh: OK
/home/oracle/.ssh/known_hosts: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit-standby8.0.24-linux.tar: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvagent/conf/dbvagent.db: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvagent/conf/dbvagent.conf: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvagent/conf/prikey.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvagent/conf/ca.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvagent/conf/cert.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvagent/dbvagent: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvserver/conf/prikey.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvserver/conf/ca.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvserver/conf/cert.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvserver/conf/dbvserver.db: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvserver/conf/dbvserver.conf: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvserver/dbvserver: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvnet/conf/dbvnetd.conf: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvnet/conf/prikey.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvnet/conf/ca.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvnet/conf/cert.pem: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/dbvnet/dbvnet: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/installer/install-dbvisit: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/lib/libmql1.so: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/lib/libipc1.so: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/lib/libociei.so: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/lib/libnnz12.so: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/lib/libclntsh.so.12.1: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/lib/libclntshcore.so.12.1: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/lib/libons.so: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/doc/init-dbvagent.sample: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/doc/README.txt: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/doc/init-dbvserver.sample: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/doc/init-dbvora.sample: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/doc/init-dbvnet.sample: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/doc/example_pre_post_processing.sh: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit/standby/dbvctl: OK
/home/oracle/INSTALL.txt: OK
/home/oracle/stop_oracle.sh: OK
/home/oracle/.viminfo: OK
/home/oracle/.dbus/session-bus/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-0: OK
/home/oracle/.dbus/session-bus/d350a7e159b2447e83be18272e1e6a82-1: OK
/home/oracle/.kde/cache-tplinuxuhgdb2.localdomain: Symbolic link
/home/oracle/.kde/share/config/ksysguardrc: OK
/home/oracle/.kde/share/apps/ksysguard/ProcessTable.sgrd: OK
/home/oracle/.kde/share/apps/ksysguard/SystemLoad2.sgrd: OK
/home/oracle/dbvisit-standby8.0.24-linux.zip: OK
/home/oracle/README.txt: OK
/home/oracle/run.sh: OK
/home/SAV_diagnose_20190515_115541.zip: OK
/home/checkServerCapacity.sh: OK
/home/sync_calendar_with_exchange.sh: OK