Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail
A POP3 proxy program I have running on a Debian 10.8 system, uses
clamscan to check incoming e-mails.  At some point in the very early
morning (US West Coast time) it suddenly started taking a very long time
to scan each mail,  So much that the controlling process would time out
before clamscan finished.  Up to this point it was running fine.

Running a test from the command line, on a very simple 1-line mail took
around 25 minutes:

root@CleanMail:~# date ; clamscan test.msg -v  --no-summary ; date
Mon 05 Apr 2021 11:59:10 AM PDT
Scanning /root/test.msg
/root/test.msg: OK
Mon 05 Apr 2021 12:24:06 PM PDT
root@CleanMail:~#

Looking through the logs, I can't see anything happening in the period
between the last good scan and the sloooooow ones.

Where should I be going next to track this down.

Cheers.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021, Eddie via clamav-users wrote:

> A POP3 proxy program I have running on a Debian 10.8 system, uses clamscan to
> check incoming e-mails.  At some point in the very early morning (US West
> Coast time) it suddenly started taking a very long time to scan each mail,
> So much that the controlling process would time out before clamscan
> finished.  Up to this point it was running fine.
>
> Running a test from the command line, on a very simple 1-line mail took
> around 25 minutes:
>
> root@CleanMail:~# date ; clamscan test.msg -v  --no-summary ; date
> Mon 05 Apr 2021 11:59:10 AM PDT
> Scanning /root/test.msg
> /root/test.msg: OK
> Mon 05 Apr 2021 12:24:06 PM PDT
> root@CleanMail:~#
>
> Looking through the logs, I can't see anything happening in the period
> between the last good scan and the sloooooow ones.
>
> Where should I be going next to track this down.

How much RAM does the machine have ?
Is something else using much RAM ?
Ideally I wouldn't run clamd on a machine with less than 4GB RAM.

If you are running freshclam and clamd, there is a setting which
will stop them using double memory while updating.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: [clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail [ In reply to ]
On 06.04.21 08:43, Eddie via clamav-users wrote:
>A POP3 proxy program I have running on a Debian 10.8 system, uses
>clamscan to check incoming e-mails.? At some point in the very early
>morning (US West Coast time) it suddenly started taking a very long
>time to scan each mail,? So much that the controlling process would
>time out before clamscan finished.? Up to this point it was running
>fine.
>
>Running a test from the command line, on a very simple 1-line mail
>took around 25 minutes:
>
>root@CleanMail:~# date ; clamscan test.msg -v? --no-summary ; date
>Mon 05 Apr 2021 11:59:10 AM PDT
>Scanning /root/test.msg
>/root/test.msg: OK
>Mon 05 Apr 2021 12:24:06 PM PDT
>root@CleanMail:~#
>
>Looking through the logs, I can't see anything happening in the period
>between the last good scan and the sloooooow ones.
>
>Where should I be going next to track this down.

you should prefer clamdscan, that uses tunning clamd to scan, this way you
skip virus DB initialization at each scan.

Note that the memory question is important. clamd uses >1GB RAM on my
machine. you need at least 2GB of RAM to scan in reasonable time.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Re: [clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail [ In reply to ]
Clamscan can spend a looooong time loading signatures, etc. If you run
your command with strace (or monitor the process with lsof, etc.) you'll
probably see clamscan is busy accessing signature files.

Re: [clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail [ In reply to ]
> On 06.04.21 08:43, Eddie via clamav-users wrote:
>> A POP3 proxy program I have running on a Debian 10.8 system, uses
>> clamscan to check incoming e-mails.? At some point in the very early
>> morning (US West Coast time) it suddenly started taking a very long
>> time to scan each mail,? So much that the controlling process would
>> time out before clamscan finished.? Up to this point it was running
>> fine.
>>
>> Running a test from the command line, on a very simple 1-line mail
>> took around 25 minutes:
>>
>> root@CleanMail:~# date ; clamscan test.msg -v? --no-summary ; date
>> Mon 05 Apr 2021 11:59:10 AM PDT
>> Scanning /root/test.msg
>> /root/test.msg: OK
>> Mon 05 Apr 2021 12:24:06 PM PDT
>> root@CleanMail:~#
>>
>> Looking through the logs, I can't see anything happening in the
>> period between the last good scan and the sloooooow ones.
>>
>> Where should I be going next to track this down.
>
> you should prefer clamdscan, that uses tunning clamd to scan, this way
> you
> skip virus DB initialization at each scan.
>
> Note that the memory question is important. clamd uses >1GB RAM on my
> machine. you need at least 2GB of RAM to scan in reasonable time

Watching via "top" while it's scanning, I do see it's taking a chunk of
memory, but it's not overly excessive.? swap space is basically unused.

I'm looking at moving over to clamdscan.

Re: [clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail [ In reply to ]
Understood, which is why I'm looking to move to clamdscan.

But I'd like to understand why, on Sunday morning, the scan time which
had been under a minute per mail, for over 4 months, suddenly jumped to
25 minutes per mail and has remained at that.

Cheers.

Re: [clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail [ In reply to ]

> But I'd like to understand why, on Sunday morning, the scan time which had
> been under a minute per mail, for over 4 months, suddenly jumped to 25
> minutes per mail and has remained at that.

It's a good question. Is there any way to reproduce what was happening on
Sunday morning? ... and then compare it to what is happening today?

Has the size/location/access method to clamscan's signatures changed? Is
your system (drives, network, etc.) healthy?

Re: [clamav-users] clamscan suddenly taking 25 minutes for a single mail [ In reply to ]
I can go back to bed and sleep.  :-)

The only thing that runs on this server is the POP3 proxy code, nothing
else.  And freshclam didn't pull any new signatures until after the
slowdown started.  And take this with the same grain of salt I used to,
when I worked support:  No, nothing was changed and the VM is healthy.

Running --debug and tail'ing the output, these are the 2 points that
seem to account for almost all the 25 minutes: