Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Freshclam Update Error
Hello,
Since March 3rd 2021, I have been unable to download the Virus definitions. I have verified that it is not the local firewalls or anything else blocking it so I can only guess I have been added to the blocked IP list.

Current working dir is /usr/local/share/clamav
Max retries == 3
ClamAV update process started at Thu Mar 25 07:48:42 2021
Using IPv6 aware code
Querying current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via proxy.ext.ray.com
Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
Trying to download http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd (IP: 199.46.182.5)
WARNING: getfile: Unknown response from remote server (IP: 199.46.182.5)
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Querying main.0.76.0.0.C72EB605.ping.clamav.net
Can't query main.0.76.0.0.C72EB605.ping.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Thu Mar 25 07:48:48 2021
Using IPv6 aware code
Querying current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via proxy.ext.ray.com
Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
Trying to download http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd (IP: 199.46.182.5)
WARNING: getfile: Unknown response from remote server (IP: 199.46.182.5)
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Querying main.0.76.0.0.C72EB605.ping.clamav.net
Can't query main.0.76.0.0.C72EB605.ping.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Thu Mar 25 07:48:53 2021
Using IPv6 aware code
Querying current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via proxy.ext.ray.com
Retrieving http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd
Trying to download http://database.clamav.net/main.cvd (IP: 199.46.182.5)
ERROR: getfile: Unknown response from remote server (IP: 199.46.182.5)
ERROR: Can't download main.cvd from database.clamav.net
Querying main.0.76.0.0.C72EB605.ping.clamav.net
Can't query main.0.76.0.0.C72EB605.ping.clamav.net
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem for possible reasons.

I also tried a wget and get the following error:
# wget http://database.clamav.net/main-55.cdiff
--2021-03-25 07:59:56-- http://database.clamav.net/main-55.cdiff
Resolving proxy.ext.ray.com (proxy.ext.ray.com)... 199.46.182.5
Connecting to proxy.ext.ray.com (proxy.ext.ray.com)|199.46.182.5|:80... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2021-03-25 07:59:56 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Wayne Florence
Unix Administrator
c(978)987-4632
Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam Update Error [ In reply to ]
On 25/03/2021 13:04, Wayne Florence via clamav-users wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ??????????????? Since March 3^rd 2021,? I have been unable to download
> the Virus definitions. I have verified that it is not the local
> firewalls or anything else blocking it so I can only guess I have been
> added to the blocked IP list.

Which version of Freshclam are you using?

If it's earlier than 0.100, then it's no longer supported, and you need
to update to a later version.

--
Paul

--

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800

Sign up for news & updates at http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe
Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam Update Error [ In reply to ]
Paul,
Turns out I had 2 versions installed and was using 0.98 when I switched to version 102.4 I get a certificate error now.

* Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.
* Closing connection 1
WARNING: remote_cvdhead: Download failed (60) WARNING: Message: Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA certificates
WARNING: Failed to get daily database version information from server: https://database.clamav.net

Wayne Florence
IBM/VSO Unix Administrator
c(978)987-4632

Sign up for news & updates <http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe>

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam Update Error [ In reply to ]
freshclam

Wayne Florence
IBM/VSO Unix Administrator
c(978)987-4632

Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam Update Error [ In reply to ]
Do you have an updated certificate store?

Sent from my ? iPhone

Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam Update Error [ In reply to ]
Citeren Wayne Florence via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> Paul,
> Turns out I had 2 versions installed and was using
> 0.98 when I switched to version 102.4 I get a certificate error now.
>
> * Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.
> * Closing connection 1
> WARNING: remote_cvdhead: Download failed (60) WARNING: Message:
> Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA certificates
> WARNING: Failed to get daily database version information from
> server: https://database.clamav.net

That's probably the MITM proxy 'proxy.ext.ray.com' you're using to
download the certificates and the certificate used by the proxy is not
trusted.

Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam Update Error [ In reply to ]
On 25.03.21 13:30, Wayne Florence via clamav-users wrote:
> Turns out I had 2 versions installed and was using 0.98 when I switched to version 102.4 I get a certificate error now.
>
>* Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.
>* Closing connection 1
>WARNING: remote_cvdhead: Download failed (60) WARNING: Message: Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA certificates
>WARNING: Failed to get daily database version information from server: https://database.clamav.net

what certificate do you see when querying https://database.clamav.net ?

% openssl s_client -connect database.clamav.net:443 -crlf -brief
CONNECTION ESTABLISHED
Protocol version: TLSv1.3
Ciphersuite: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
Peer certificate: C = US, ST = CA, L = San Francisco, O = "Cloudflare, Inc.", CN = sni.cloudflaressl.com
Hash used: SHA256
Signature type: ECDSA
Verification: OK
Server Temp Key: X25519, 253 bits

Micro random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...