Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: [clamav-users] Restriction of downloads [ In reply to ]
Citeren Paul Smith via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

>> QNAP runs freshclam. checked now with my 419P+:
>> ClamAV update process started at Sat Mar 13 12:47:36 2021
>> WARNING: getpatch: Can't download main-55.cdiff from database.clamav.net
>> ERROR: getpatch: Can't download main-55.cdiff from database.clamav.net
> That looks like an obsolete version, which won't work with
> database.clamav.net, but would work if QNAP (or anyone else)
> provided a private mirror for it.

Which would be the decent way too. If QNAP/Synology is monetizing on a
product that is provided to them free of charge, the least they could
do is to take the burden of the updates of the signatures by providing
a mirror.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Restriction of downloads [ In reply to ]
In order to discourage downloading the main.cld and daily.cld files,
would it be an option to only update them on the download servers when
a new ClamAV release is made? This might nudge people that choose to
not use one of the recommended options to download signatures, to
reconsider. This would also allow for better caching, as these huge
files are refreshed less frequently. For people using freshclam, the
only expense would be that on the first download, the .cdiffs since
the release need to be applied.

Re: [clamav-users] Restriction of downloads [ In reply to ]

On 13.03.21 14:39, Arjen de Korte via clamav-users wrote:
>Which would be the decent way too. If QNAP/Synology is monetizing on a
>product that is provided to them free of charge, the least they could
>do is to take the burden of the updates of the signatures by providing
>a mirror.

those devices are not supported by QNAP.

QNAP does not provide functional nor security updates for them, and newer
ClamAV versions seem to be considered functional updates by QNAP.

Thus I really dobt QNAP would provide freshclam mirror.

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Re: [clamav-users] Restriction of downloads [ In reply to ]
Citeren Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>:

> On 13.03.21 14:39, Arjen de Korte via clamav-users wrote:
>> Which would be the decent way too. If QNAP/Synology is monetizing
>> on a product that is provided to them free of charge, the least
>> they could do is to take the burden of the updates of the
>> signatures by providing a mirror.
>
> those devices are not supported by QNAP.

I'm well aware of that, this was apparently less clear than I
intended. Of course QNAP should only provide a mirror for their own
customers, likewise Synology should provide one for their customers.

> QNAP does not provide functional nor security updates for them, and newer
> ClamAV versions seem to be considered functional updates by QNAP.
>
> Thus I really dobt QNAP would provide freshclam mirror.

QNAP still bundles/supports ClamAV on their recent models, so the
decency of providing a mirror for their customers still stands. If
only to make sure that if the updates go haywire because of a
configuration error on QNAPs part which is pretty much impossible to
fix for an ordinary user, they will suffer the burden.

Re: [clamav-users] Restriction of downloads [ In reply to ]
On 13.03.21 12:47, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users wrote:
>The qnap and synology issues are a result of the EOL of <0.100. Not as a result of the abusive downloaders. Two separate issues.

are freshclam versions <0.100 blocked? Because they seem to support cdiffs.
I understand the rest.

Just wanted to note that QNAP does use freshclam - I misunderstood Paul
Smith's comment about their mirror.
They do not provide mirror, because their devices with obsolete ClamAV
aren't supported.

>It is becoming more and more necessary to enforce these cut off points
> because of many reasons. Load to the mirror network being one. So, .100,
> and .101 will continue to be supported for a bit, but soon, we’re going to
> have to cut those off too.

Do those versions cause some additional problems for your mirrors?

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Re: [clamav-users] Restriction of downloads [ In reply to ]
Now, I give a try on clamwin !

You have the latest version of ClamWin Free Antivirus (0.99.4).
ClamWin Free Antivirus is a free software project

So, it is outdated too !
No windows recent build too !

No windows, no ArcaOS... only linux based system seems to be updated
Is ClamAV now linux only program ?

"

ClamAV update process started at Sat Mar 13 19:35:44 2021
main.cld is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
WARNING: getfile: Unknown response from database.clamav.net (IP: 104.16.218.84)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: getfile: Unknown response from database.clamav.net (IP: 104.16.219.84)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Sat Mar 13 19:35:51 2021
main.cld is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Sat Mar 13 19:35:58 2021
main.cld is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
WARNING: getpatch: Can't download daily-26080.cdiff from database.clamav.net
ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in o:\utilis~1\temp\clamwinportabletemp\tmpgtif1i is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/doc/mirrors-faq.html for possible reasons.

Completed

"

"Ce message et toutes ses pièces jointes sont établis à l'intention exclusive de son/ses destinataire(s) et sont confidentiels. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le détruire et d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur. Toute utilisation de ce message et/ou de son contenu par une personne autre qu'un destinataire, et toute diffusion ou publication ultérieure du contenu de ce message, en totalité ou en partie, est interdite sauf autorisation préalable et écrite de l'émetteur"