Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] On-access scanning on CentOS 8
I've been experimenting with ClamAV on various Linux distributions and have had trouble doing on-access scanning on CentOS 8 machines - everything installs fine and I can do on-demand scanning with clamscan but on-access scanning isn't preventing me from accessing a test infected file. I see this behavior right now with ClamAV 0.103.0 on:

AWS CentOS 8.2 (4.18.0-193.6.3.el8_2.x86_64)
GCP CentOS 8.3 (4.18.0-240.10.1.el8_3.x86_64)

I've got a repo with Ansible playbooks to do the installation and test on-access on on-demand testing: https://github.com/pfuntner/clamav-onacc. I've gotten successes consistently using the same playbooks with Debian 9 and 10.

Am I doing something wrong?
Re: [clamav-users] On-access scanning on CentOS 8 [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, John Pfuntner -X (jpfuntne - EASI LLC at Cisco) via clamav-users wrote:

> I've been experimenting with ClamAV on various Linux distributions
> and have had trouble doing on-access scanning on CentOS 8 machines -
> everything installs fine and I can do on-demand scanning with
> clamscan but on-access scanning isn't preventing me from accessing a
> test infected file. I see this behavior right now with ClamAV
> 0.103.0 on:
> AWS CentOS 8.2 (4.18.0-193.6.3.el8_2.x86_64)
> GCP CentOS 8.3 (4.18.0-240.10.1.el8_3.x86_64)
>
> I've got a repo with Ansible playbooks to do the installation and
> test on-access on on-demand testing:
> https://github.com/pfuntner/clamav-onacc. I've gotten successes
> consistently using the same playbooks with Debian 9 and 10.
> Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry, I have no experience of Centos, but there are surely Centos
users lurking here. Until one pops up, my wild guess - no, you aren't
doing anything wrong but you might need to do some more work. And my
speculation - look into the kernel configurations.

A quick search found this:

https://marc.info/?l=clamav-users&m=160824995205483&w=2

(Doesn't Cisco own Sourcefire? :)

--