Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Freshclam HTTP 429 ERROR
Hello,
we've just upgraded clamav in 0.100-3.1.
Since then, it's impossible to download signatures from one of our
proxies. (it works from another one)
Do you have any clue ?

[admsnant] $ sudo freshclam

ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 10 16:26:41 2021
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via X.X.X.X
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): WARNING: remote_cvdhead: Unknown response
from db.fr.clamav.net (IP: X.X.X.X): HTTP/1.0 429
WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from db.fr.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 10 16:26:46 2021
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via X.X.X.X
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): WARNING: remote_cvdhead: Unknown response
from db.fr.clamav.net (IP: X.X.X.X): HTTP/1.0 429
WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from db.fr.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...
ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 10 16:26:51 2021
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via X.X.X.X
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): ERROR: remote_cvdhead: Unknown response
from db.fr.clamav.net (IP: X.X.X.X): HTTP/1.0 429
WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from db.fr.clamav.net
Giving up on db.fr.clamav.net...
ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 10 16:26:51 2021
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
Connecting via X.X.X.X
Reading CVD header (main.cvd): ERROR: remote_cvdhead: Unknown response
from db.local.clamav.net (IP: X.X.X.X): HTTP/1.0 429
WARNING: Can't read main.cvd header from db.local.clamav.net
Giving up on db.local.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in
/etc/freshclam.conf is working. Check
https://www.clamav.net/documents/official-mirror-faq for possible reasons.

Thanks a lot.

--
Samuel
sign.
Re: [clamav-users] Freshclam HTTP 429 ERROR [ In reply to ]
On 11/03/2021 11:14, Samuel Girard via clamav-users wrote:
> Hello,
> we've just upgraded clamav in 0.100-3.1.
> Since then, it's impossible to download signatures from one of our
> proxies. (it works from another one)
> Do you have any clue ?
>
> [admsnant] $ sudo freshclam
>
> ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 10 16:26:41 2021
> WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
> WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
> Connecting via X.X.X.X
> Reading CVD header (main.cvd): WARNING: remote_cvdhead: Unknown
> response from db.fr.clamav.net (IP: X.X.X.X): HTTP/1.0 429

429 is 'Too many requests'

So, there are too many requests for the updates from your IP address. If
you have a proxy, then it's likely that lots of client computers are
each asking for their own updates via the proxy, making it look as if
the proxy's IP address is making lots of requests itself.

Why is Freshclam unable to query current.cvd.clamav.net? Because of that
it seems to be getting a fresh main.cvd to check if it needs to update,
rather than doing nothing when there is nothing to update and just
getting CDIFFs if an update is needed. If you fix that, it should help a
lot.

You could set up the proxy to force caching of the files so that it only
gets fresh copies every few hours, or you could set up a private mirror
instead of a proxy (using cvdupdate)

https://www.clamav.net/documents/private-local-mirrors

--
Paul