Mailing List Archive

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden)
Hello All,

I restarted an old QNAP NAS (TS419P).
I updated the firmware to the latest version available for this model
(4.3.3.1432 build 20200106).

I tried to use the GUI provided by QNAP to update the ClamAV on the NAS. I
received "update failed" message.

I made some searches on the ClamAV users Archives (and saw some similar
threads) but none of them could be used to solve the issue.

If I download the .cvd files manually (
http://database.clamav.net/bytecode/daily/main) through my browser on a PC
and then copy them in the appropriate folder on the NAS and launch a scan,
it works.
If I try to "automate" this download with WGET or CURL it does not work
either (respectively error 403 or 1020).

I do not know how to proceed to keep a ClamAV instance update without
manual intervention.

Thanks already for your help,

Tom
Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
Citeren Thomas Guerlinze via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>:

> I restarted an old QNAP NAS (TS419P).
> I updated the firmware to the latest version available for this model
> (4.3.3.1432 build 20200106).
>
> I tried to use the GUI provided by QNAP to update the ClamAV on the NAS. I
> received "update failed" message.

Check the support forum for your device first:
https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=159990

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
Looks like qnap need to update to supported clamav version?

Eero

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
I’ve got a QNAP at my house. Looks like it’s fine on the newest version:
v4.5.3.1594
Given it’s outdated, but that doesn’t surprise me much:
ClamAV 0.102.2/26100/Sat Mar 6 07:05:22 2021

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski
TrueNet, Inc.
P: 610-429-8300

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
So, Qnap is up to date? But people using older versions need to update their Qnap software? Is that what’re your saying?

It seems like the holdouts are ClamWin and Qnap. A lot of the issues that I have seen of versions lower than 0.100 are those two.

Sent from my ? iPad

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
Joel,

Of course it isn’t up to date…
Mine is running 0.102.2 so it updates, but not 103.x
He’s got an older version, so maybe that they disabled updates… This I doubt, but I’m running on an intel chipset so can’t rule out.
My guess is a symbolic link is corrupt now after checking reddit real quick:
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/dcnjzo/clamav_virus_definition_downloads_failing/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/dcnjzo/clamav_virus_definition_downloads_failing/>

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski
TrueNet, Inc.
P: 610-429-8300

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
On 07.03.21 21:51, Thomas Guerlinze via clamav-users wrote:
>I restarted an old QNAP NAS (TS419P).
>I updated the firmware to the latest version available for this model
>(4.3.3.1432 build 20200106).
>
>I tried to use the GUI provided by QNAP to update the ClamAV on the NAS. I
>received "update failed" message.
>
>I made some searches on the ClamAV users Archives (and saw some similar
>threads) but none of them could be used to solve the issue.
>
>If I download the .cvd files manually (
>http://database.clamav.net/bytecode/daily/main) through my browser on a PC
>and then copy them in the appropriate folder on the NAS and launch a scan,
>it works.
>If I try to "automate" this download with WGET or CURL it does not work
>either (respectively error 403 or 1020).
>
>I do not know how to proceed to keep a ClamAV instance update without
>manual intervention.

Hello,

I own 419P+.
It has 512MB of RAM, which is unfortunately not enough for clamav (at least
on other machines clamav uses over 1GB of RAM.

The 419P and 419P+ are old arm machines whose support ended on 12/2020.

I'm afraid that using clamav on those NASses doesn't make sense anymore
(and, already for some time).

2B|!2B, that's a question!

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
On 07.03.21 22:48, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users wrote:
>So, Qnap is up to date? But people using older versions need to update
> their Qnap software? Is that what’re your saying?

Apparently depends on HW and support.

my NAS haven't received OS update (except security) for a few years.

it's 419P+ with the same firmware Thomas Guerlinze mentions (4.3.3.1432
build 20200106) , containing:

ClamAV 0.99.3/17260/Wed May 22 12:40:22 2013

Since it's a 419P+ with 512MB of RAM, I disabled clamav long ago.

looks like QNAP only puts new clamav version to new firmware releases, not
to security updates.

>It seems like the holdouts are ClamWin and Qnap. A lot of the issues that
> I have seen of versions lower than 0.100 are those two.

>> On Mar 7, 2021, at 17:38, Eric Tykwinski <eric-list@truenet.com> wrote:
>>
>> ?I’ve got a QNAP at my house. Looks like it’s fine on the newest version:
>> v4.5.3.1594
>> Given it’s outdated, but that doesn’t surprise me much:
>> ClamAV 0.102.2/26100/Sat Mar 6 07:05:22 2021

>>> On Mar 7, 2021, at 4:29 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looks like qnap need to update to supported clamav version?

>>> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 10:54 PM Thomas Guerlinze via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:
>>> I restarted an old QNAP NAS (TS419P).
>>> I updated the firmware to the latest version available for this model (4.3.3.1432 build 20200106).
>>>
>>> I tried to use the GUI provided by QNAP to update the ClamAV on the NAS. I received "update failed" message.
>>>
>>> I made some searches on the ClamAV users Archives (and saw some similar threads) but none of them could be used to solve the issue.
>>>
>>> If I download the .cvd files manually (http://database.clamav.net/bytecode/daily/main) through my browser on a PC and then copy them in the appropriate folder on the NAS and launch a scan, it works.
>>> If I try to "automate" this download with WGET or CURL it does not work either (respectively error 403 or 1020).
>>>
>>> I do not know how to proceed to keep a ClamAV instance update without manual intervention.
>>>
>>> Thanks already for your help,

We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> I tried to use the GUI provided by QNAP to update the ClamAV on the NAS. I
>> received "update failed" message.

I tried to look at the QNAP home page.

It's over ten megabytes, so I gave up.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: [clamav-users] QNAP - Cannot update virus definition & cannot wget *.cvd (receive error 403 forbidden) [ In reply to ]
Dear All,

I posted the answer of QNAP support in the wrong thread (sorry).

In short, the NAS has not sufficient memory to process the update. Only
manual update is working.

Here the answer:
The root cause is the size of the update files in the database. Because of
that the automatic updates are failing on the older NAS models. This is due
to the small CPU and memory size.
When you update manually the system get forced to update and will pause
other applications running.
So please try to perform the updates manually ones in a time.

Br,

Tom