Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Problem Updating using freshclam
Howdy!

I'm new to using ClamAV (and still pretty new to Ubuntu 20.04 and Linux in general). I recently DL'd ClamAV and when I went to update the virus databases using the freshclam command in the terminal, I got the following error:

sudo freshclam
[sudo] password for (my username):
ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process
ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateLogFile = /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log).
ERROR: initialize: libfreshclam init failed.
ERROR: Initialization error!

I went back through the installation instructions at https://www.clamav.net/documents/installation-on-debian-and-ubuntu-linux-distributions and when I ran:
sudo apt-get install openssl libssl-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev zlib1g-dev libpng-dev libxml2-dev libjson-c-dev libbz2-dev libpcre3-dev ncurses-dev
I got this:
sudo apt-get install openssl libssl-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev zlib1g-dev libpng-dev libxml2-dev libjson-c-dev libbz2-dev libpcre3-dev ncurses-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libpcre3-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package libcurl4-openssl-dev
E: Unable to locate package libpng-dev
E: Unable to locate package libjson-c-dev
E: Unable to locate package libbz2-dev
E: Package 'libpcre3-dev' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package ncurses-dev

So to me, it looks like I'm missing some dependencies: is that right? If so, what's the best and safest way to find/install those dependencies?

Any help anyone can provide to help me diagnose and fix this would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this has been answered ad nauseum.

Thank you!
Re: [clamav-users] Problem Updating using freshclam [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021, I via clamav-users wrote:

> I'm new ...

Welcome. :)

> ERROR: /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log is locked by another process

You probably have a freshclam daemon process running which has taken
hold of the log file. Lots of ways of avoiding this issue but right
now the simplest thing to do is probably nothing. Check whether you
have a freshclam daemon running by using (for example) 'top' or 'ps'
at the command line. Look in the log that is mentioned in the error
message, to see if it contains records of database updates. If you
run a freshclam daemon then you don't need to run freshclam by hand.

> Package libpcre3-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.

Don't wory about that just now. If you use the Ubuntu package manager
to install ClamAV in the way that you're supposed to use it, then it's
will just work. The list of things that you've tried to install there
is only for building from the source tarball downloaded from ClamAV's
Website - if you install using the Ubuntu package you don't need them.

--

73,
Ged.