Eric Tykwinski

TrueNet, Inc.

P: 610-429-8300
Re: [clamav-users] Looks like we've gotten a new variant of Emotet getting through... [ In reply to ]
Sorry to bother, but do you guys want raw emails or just the payload Word
Docs?

I just sent payloads, since they are real emails with responses and a virus
attached.

I can however scrub the raws and send a few of those as well.

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski

TrueNet, Inc.

P: 610-429-8300
Re: [clamav-users] Looks like we've gotten a new variant of Emotet getting through... [ In reply to ]
hi eric,

Am 21.12.20 um 17:59 schrieb eric-list@truenet.com:
> Sorry to bother, but do you guys want raw emails or just the payload
> Word Docs?
>
> I just sent payloads, since they are real emails with responses and a
> virus attached.

this is pretty useless as clamav's reporting process is far too slow or
or is not made for rapidly changing attack vectors used by emotet (never
saw clamav hits with default signatures enabled on the last big emotet
waves on my side, may be different somewhere else).

for hunting emotet you can report to sanesecurity where steve and his
team are taking care and use their 3rd-party signatures. and/or use
urlhaus (driven by abuse.ch) 3rd-party signatures feeded by lots of
(emotet) malware hunters floating around on
https://twitter.com/cryptolaemus1 - all of them doing a great job here.

btw - lots of vulnerable/unpatched wordpress installs involved as
always, may be related to fresh CVE-2020-35489

https://www.getastra.com/blog/911/plugin-exploit/contact-form-7-unrestricted-file-upload-vulnerability/

regards
max

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Looks like we've gotten a new variant of Emotet getting through... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

... or you can use SecuriteInfo signatures. The lastest emotet malwares
variant are already detected today.
More information at http://ow.ly/LqfdL

--
Cordialement / Best regards,

Arnaud Jacques
G?rant de SecuriteInfo.com

T?l?phone : +33-(0)3.60.47.09.81
E-mail : aj@securiteinfo.com
Site web : https://www.securiteinfo.com
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/SecuriteInfocom/132872523492286
Twitter : @SecuriteInfoCom
Signatures for ClamAV antivirus : http://ow.ly/LqfdL

Re: [clamav-users] Looks like we've gotten a new variant of Emotet getting through... [ In reply to ]
I pretty much disagree with this. 90% or greater of what is sent into clamav.net<http://clamav.net> is covered in less than 24 hours, and to a much greater degree. We don’t aim to cover just the sample you sent in, we cover all the variants of that sample at the time, if possible.

urlhaus (driven by abuse.ch<http://abuse.ch/>) 3rd-party signatures feeded by lots of

Re: [clamav-users] Looks like we've gotten a new variant of Emotet getting through... [ In reply to ]
Joel,

> I pretty much disagree with this. 90% or greater of what is sent into http://clamav.net is covered in less than 24 hours, and to a much greater degree. We don’t aim to cover just the > sample you sent in, we cover all the variants of that sample at the time, if possible.

I pretty much agree with you there, if it's not you guys getting them right away, it'll be a third party signature, like SecuriteInfo, or SaneSecurity, so I've got no problems.
Hell, the reason I like ClamAV so much is that it's not a mystery black box, and I can write my own signatures if I need to.

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski
TrueNet, Inc.
P: 610-429-8300

Re: [clamav-users] Looks like we've gotten a new variant of Emotet getting through... [ In reply to ]