Brownsville, TX 78521
Office: 956-983-6337
Email: JGallardo@brownsville-pub.com
Website: www.brownsville-pub.com<http://www.brownsville-pub.com>

Follow Us!

[cid:image009.jpg@01D54098.FD0F6970]<http://www.brownsville-pub.com/?splash=https://www.facebook.com/brownsvillepub&____isexternal=true>[cid:image010.jpg@01D54098.FD0F6970]<http://www.brownsville-pub.com/?splash=https://twitter.com/BPUB_Tweets&____isexternal=true>[cid:image011.jpg@01D54098.FD0F6970]<http://www.brownsville-pub.com/?splash=https://www.youtube.com/user/BPUB78521&____isexternal=true>[cid:image012.jpg@01D54098.FD0F6970]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/brownsville-public-utilities-board>

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The information attached to this e-mail may or may not be confidential and should be treated based on its singular or combined confidential, competitive and sensitive nature. This e-mail and any attached documents are intended to be reviewed only by the individual or individuals named in this communication. As the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of the information contained herein is prohibited.

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: La informaci?n que se adjunta a este mensaje de correo electr?nico puede o no ser confidencial y debe tratarse en funci?n de su naturaleza confidencial, competitiva y delicada singular o combinada. Este correo electr?nico y todo documento adjunto tienen como fin ser revisados solo por la persona o personas mencionadas en esta comunicaci?n. Como destinatario previsto, se le notifica que se proh?be toda difusi?n o copia de la informaci?n aqu? contenida.
Re: [clamav-users] Updating Clamav [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Gallardo, Jeffery wrote:

> I recently installed the clamav on our RSA appliance.

Please tell us exactly how you performed the installation. [*]

I'm not entirely sure that it's appropriate to install ClamAV on such
an appliance, but I'll let you and your supplier be the judges of that.

> We are planning on updating clamav on a monthly basis. My question
> is: When I'm ready to update clamav do I just download the daily.cvd
> from the website the day I'm applying the update? What do I need to
> do to make this an automatic process?

Under what I'm going to call 'normal' circumstances, any installation
of ClamAV (whether it came from a distribution's packages, or from the
sources which you downloaded and compiled yourself) should include a
utility called 'freshclam' which is a daemon designed to keep the
ClamAV databases updated automatically. Usually the updates will be
configured to take place every few hours, rather than monthly, but you
can schedule things to suit your requirements. Perhaps you just need
to spend some quality time with the ClamAV documentation, but if you
have managed to install ClamAV without installing freshclam please see
[*] above.

You did not make it clear what you mean by "updating". I guessed from
the context that you meant updating the ClamAV databases, but very few
of us would do that as infrequently as monthly. If you mean updating
the ClamAV software itself, then it really isn't up to you; either you
need to keep an eye on the development of the package, or you need to
install a package which automatically updates the software (as opposed
to just the databases used by the software). I have no idea which OS
distribution lies underneath your appliance but it will probably be a
version of Linux. Most Linux systems include some kind of a 'package
manager' which can do software updates automatically for you, but it
can be a little risky to update any software package automatically -
sometimes it breaks things - and in this case your supplier might take
a particular view.

Perhaps you can start from the beginning and tell us why you think you
need to install ClamAV on this appliance; whether or not you have a
shell prompt on a terminal; root access or 'sudo'; that kind of thing.

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Updating Clamav [ In reply to ]
Hi,

So the RSA appliance I mentioned is a Linux box. I copied the main.cvd and daily.cvd file from windows to the Linux box using winscp. The scan ran successfully but now I just trying to read up on the clamav manual on how to update the clamav on our linux box.

I apologize for not providing enough information and I hope I made myself more clear.

Thank you,

Jeffery Gallardo
SCADA Systems Analyst
Brownsville Public Utilities Board
1435 Robinhood Drive
Brownsville, TX 78521
Office: 956-983-6337
Email:?JGallardo@brownsville-pub.com
Website: www.brownsville-pub.com

Follow Us!

??

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_vrtadmin_clamav-2Dfaq&d=DwICAg&c=rm86mfx2itbrh5fKQsqLzs2Cja4o6T15MNJJuwFdK4M&r=rBcpv3kG9CHLsCWrDRxOfAUD_k156yhUAcBbvRSP1Gc&m=e7SB6FPB0U7jMOPtbnFS8ekNHXEEsmMVGuYs-l5gu7c&s=USCyOSnREUrrRAkCkjapo4QNoHbMeVREOHnEDPRgPNg&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.clamav.net_contact.html-23ml&d=DwICAg&c=rm86mfx2itbrh5fKQsqLzs2Cja4o6T15MNJJuwFdK4M&r=rBcpv3kG9CHLsCWrDRxOfAUD_k156yhUAcBbvRSP1Gc&m=e7SB6FPB0U7jMOPtbnFS8ekNHXEEsmMVGuYs-l5gu7c&s=X_ItK0UoMiRnFbxXlM7shHbyv4K2B5sw09Fyk2fVvgU&e=

Re: [clamav-users] Updating ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, Prabin Tamang via clamav-users wrote:

> ... wondering if simply running "yum update clamav" will do the trick?

Under most circumstances I would expect that to be sufficient, yes.

> or Will i have to uninstall the current version of clamav and then
> get the new package and install it again?

It should be very rare for this to be necessary, and I'd consider it a
failure of both upstream measures to retain backward compatibility and
of the stated intent of the packaging system(s). But stranger things
have happened - usually it would be because of substantial changes in
the capabilities of the package, or the way(s) that they are provided.

Re: [clamav-users] Updating ClamAV [ In reply to ]
Oh perfect, thank you very much for information. I will wait for the packages to be released in the Epel and see how it goes.

Best,
Prabin

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, Prabin Tamang via clamav-users wrote:

> ... wondering if simply running "yum update clamav" will do the trick?

Under most circumstances I would expect that to be sufficient, yes.

> or Will i have to uninstall the current version of clamav and then get
> the new package and install it again?

It should be very rare for this to be necessary, and I'd consider it a failure of both upstream measures to retain backward compatibility and of the stated intent of the packaging system(s). But stranger things have happened - usually it would be because of substantial changes in the capabilities of the package, or the way(s) that they are provided.

--

73,
Ged.

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Notice: This email and any attachments may contain proprietary (Draper non-public) and/or export-controlled information of Draper. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this email and immediately destroy all copies of this email.