Has Clam for W32 been abandoned? It is already 2 full versions behind and
would like to know if there are going to be further updates for it. If not,
anyone interested in programming the latest versions?

Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
Try here: http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/
Bret

Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
Or here: http://hideout.ath.cx/clamav/

Michael M. Minor

Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
Bret Miller wrote:
> Try here: http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav

I'm confused about all the different versions... and not all of them
work as well as others. I needed a native win32 version that was
stable... and the one that Bret links to above is the _only_ one I was
able to find that satisfied that criteria. All the others (which I could
find) either were not stable, or were running in unix emulation mode
(cygwin). (not saying there isn't another stable win32 version... I may
not have tried them all... but, at the time I tested, this was the only
one that didn't crash frequently.)

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/

Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
On 1/22/09 12:16 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
> Bret Miller wrote:
>> Try here: http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav
>
> I'm confused about all the different versions... and not all of them
> work as well as others. I needed a native win32 version that was
> stable... and the one that Bret links to above is the _only_ one I was
> able to find that satisfied that criteria. All the others (which I could
> find) either were not stable, or were running in unix emulation mode
> (cygwin). (not saying there isn't another stable win32 version... I may
> not have tried them all... but, at the time I tested, this was the only
> one that didn't crash frequently.)

I've been getting reports from my users that ClamAV/SOSDG performs just
as well or performs better then the native Win32 version.

http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32

It may not be the most optimal way to run clamav, but I know of several
major ISPs that do use my build in production environments very happily.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org / http://www.ahbl.org
Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
We just last week built an email server with clam AV. We tested four
different win32 ports and the release from http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav is
the most reliable, stable and runs using the least resources.

Regards,

Geoff Partridge

Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
Rob McEwen wrote:

> I'm confused about all the different versions... and not all of them
> work as well as others. I needed a native win32 version that was
> stable... and the one that Bret links to above is the _only_ one I was
> able to find that satisfied that criteria. All the others (which I could
> find) either were not stable, or were running in unix emulation mode
> (cygwin). (not saying there isn't another stable win32 version... I may
> not have tried them all... but, at the time I tested, this was the only
> one that didn't crash frequently.)

Actually there are not that many. There is the 'official' version from
http://w32.clamav.net/ which is currently outdated, probably because the
maintainer (Nigel Horne) has other priorities meanwhile as he became
ClamAV's product manager. Then there are the versions at
http://oss.netfarm.it and http://hideout.ath.cx/clamav (mine). Both
should really run equally well as they use the same codebase which is
maintained by Gianluigi Tiesi (the main programmer behind the ClamWin
engine). Personally I would stay away from Cygwin versions too.

Best regards,

Nico

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?
Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
Brielle Bruns wrote:
> I've been getting reports from my users that ClamAV/SOSDG performs just
> as well or performs better then the native Win32 version.
>
> http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32
>
> It may not be the most optimal way to run clamav, but I know of several
> major ISPs that do use my build in production environments very happily.

I don't doubt your claims. The reason for my needing a win32 version is
to avoid "cygwin hell"... (which is sort of like "dll hell") where
different versions of "cygwin" using by different programs on the same
server causes conflicts. Now I don't have to worry about that. (My other
mission-critical program which uses "cygwin" doesn't have a Win32 version.)

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/

Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
On 1/22/2009 11:41 AM, Brielle Bruns wrote:
> On 1/22/09 12:16 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
>
>> Bret Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Try here: http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav
>>>
>> I'm confused about all the different versions... and not all of them
>> work as well as others. I needed a native win32 version that was
>> stable... and the one that Bret links to above is the _only_ one I was
>> able to find that satisfied that criteria. All the others (which I could
>> find) either were not stable, or were running in unix emulation mode
>> (cygwin). (not saying there isn't another stable win32 version... I may
>> not have tried them all... but, at the time I tested, this was the only
>> one that didn't crash frequently.)
>>

> I've been getting reports from my users that ClamAV/SOSDG performs just
> as well or performs better then the native Win32 version.
>
> http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32
>
> It may not be the most optimal way to run clamav, but I know of several
> major ISPs that do use my build in production environments very happily.

To be fair, I've rarely had problems with the SOSDG build. I just prefer
to run native when there is one that is stable and up-to-date. ClamAV
performance has never been a real issue on our mail server (can anyone
say "SpamAssassin"?). Stability has, at times been an issue, so we've
used most of the Windows builds at one time or another. I currently
prefer the one I just recommended (http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav), but
the SOSDG and tBB builds also work well. I haven't tested all the latest
build, but in the last few, clamd seems reasonably stable in these three
up-to-date builds.

Each build has its idiosyncrasies, so pay attention to the command-line
arguments and configuration files when switching builds.

Bret

Re: Clam for W32 updates? Forgotten project? [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob,

Instead of creating 2 versions, why not both collaborate on one version and
therefore reduce the amount of confusion around. I would recommend placing
it at Sourceforge and you can both collaborate for future releases.

Just a thought.