My ClamAv is OUTDATED.

Tnx,

Matej
Re: New version 0.94 for Win [ In reply to ]
On 4 Sep 2008 at 9:16, matej sostaric wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm wondering when this version of clamaV will be available on the net?
>
> My ClamAv is OUTDATED.

Version 0.94 rc1 is available and works well for me.

paul

Re: New version 0.94 for Win [ In reply to ]
Hello.
This version of ClamAV is old to. I have installed it and it says OUTADTED -
level 34.

tnx,

Matej

Re: New version 0.94 for Win [ In reply to ]
On 8 Sep 2008 at 6:59, matej sostaric wrote:

> Hello.
> This version of ClamAV is old to. I have installed it and it says OUTADTED -
> level 34.

You are correct - I hope 0.94 will be released soon.

paul

Re: WINDOWS/INTERIX and Win32 or CLAMAV source [ In reply to ]
I'm a newbie to dual environments. I have have a WIN32 kernel with
both WINXP and Interix loaded for access to the WIN32 kernel. (INTERIX
is native UNIX Korn and C Shell access to the WIN32 kernel, meant to
allow migration of UNIX appls to WIN32.) I currently run CLAMAV-WIN32
native version from TBB. I'm wondering if I should download CLAMAV from
source and build under INTERIX also (current version in INTERIX TOOLS
is OLD)? Since both the WINXP and the INTERIX shells have access to the
WIN32 Kernel I'm wondering which (or both) environments need to be
protected. OK wait, let me correct that... I know WINXP needs to be
protected, but I'm not sure if INTERIX needs the protection or to
simplify and somehow protect only the Kernel? Suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. Biran A
Re: WINDOWS/INTERIX and Win32 or CLAMAV source [ In reply to ]
Hi Brian,

First thing is that I'm not sure you totally understand what Interix is.
It's a subsystem over the NT kernel that operates independently from the
"Windows" (aka client-server runtime) subsystem. The original design of NT
was to provide a platform and "flavor" -neutral kernel. There were
originally 3 "flavors": CSRSS (Windows), OS/2 and POSIX. Fast-forward to
today and the OS/2 subsystem is gone. The minimal Posix system has been
replaced with Interix which includes not just a Posix subsystem but a
serious UNIX implementation based on OpenBSD. The client-server runtime
subsystem is dominant and controls the video display.

The subsystems can interact with various mechanisms like stdin/stdout,
TCP/IP, etc. With Interix 5.2 and alter, one can also build a mixed-mode
binary which can call into both subsystems. The primary purpose of this is
to link to Windows Oracle drivers from Unix code.

It is definitely possible to compile ClamAV using the tools provided with
Interix out-of-the-box with the addition of libraries (like gmp and BIND)
and utilities from the Interop Community Tools. <url:
http://www.suacommunity.com/tool_warehouse.htm >

There are some gotchas to be aware of. First, you may have to tweak and
babysit the build. In particular, it tends to inappropriately detect
poll(3)." On Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications, poll() is supported only
for use with ctl files (located in /proc/procID). No other file types are
allowed." Sometimes the #defines in new code are wrong because they make
assumptions that windows cannot be unix-like and check the wrong symbol
defines. It can take some fiddling to get the defines correct to make a
clean build.

The main advantage to building on Interix is that *much* less porting work
is necessary than with a native Win32 build. The performance is *much*
better than with Cygwin Posix emulation over win32. You also get the full
suite of features including the cryptography that requires gmp. Everything
except clamuko should work.

If you want to use Win32 apps to interact with clamd, clamdscan and/or
clamscan, you'll run into a problem where windows apps use paths like
"C:\foo\bar\", but the Posix path would be "/dev/fs/C/foo/bar/". Interix
provides a winpath2unix function to convert Windows paths to Posix. It
doesn't take much to make clamav smart enough to do the translation.

Add something like this to shared/misc.c:

#ifdef __INTERIX
int iswinpath( const char *filename )
{
int iswinpath = 0;
char c;
while( c = *filename++ )
{
if( c == '\\' || c == ':' )
{
iswinpath = 1;
break;
}
}
return iswinpath;
}

char *convertwinpath( const char *filename )
{
char errbuff[512];
char path[PATH_MAX];

if ( winpath2unix( filename, 0, path, sizeof(path) ) != 0 )
{
snprintf( errbuff, sizeof(errbuff), "ERROR: Unable to
convert Windows path \"%s\" to POSIX.\n", filename );
}
return path;
}
#endif

In the scan() function of clamd/scanner.c add something along the lines of
this before stat is called on the filename:

#if __INTERIX
if( iswinpath( filename ) )
filename = convertwinpath( filename );
#endif

There may be a handful of other places that you need to futz with to fix-up
the paths.

I haven't spent much time with clamav in a while. I got frustrated with
debugging random crashes in clamd threads. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers.

-Brian

Re: WINDOWS/INTERIX and Win32 or CLAMAV source [ In reply to ]
Brian, Thanks for the information. Your notes read like you are very
familiar with INTERIX. I appreciate the code snippets for correcting
the paths. I apologize for stating WIN32 kernel when I should have
referred to the WIN32 environment and an NT Kernel
that we get from Microsoft.

I've currently loaded SFU 3.5 on a WindowsXP Pro with SP3. I'm
also installing GNU/Debian rather than the tool set from INTERIX. This
will provide a fuller tool set. I plan to re-implement the UNIX paths
on the NTFS disk.

Your notes read that you've already built ClamAV for INTERIX, but
perhaps abandoned the effort, so I'm wondering if you are using
CLAMAV, as you built it, from someone elses build, or in the WIN32
application version?

Since I'm new to the INTERIX environment, I joined the INTERIX
community and I've followed the tutorials, but I'm still learning UNIX
commands and builds. Could you recommend some training materials?
Would you be willing to help with a trail build of CLAMAV as my
learning test?

My objective is to build ClamAV as a native Win32 application from
source so that others Windows users can have a more current build that
doesn't require Cygwin. I know previous writers have complained about
too many paths and targets, but documentation of how to install and
what to expect from the install should address the users. I'm also
hoping the ClamWIN folks might look at INTERIX and move to a native
Win32 environment build and be able to add the proactive scanning
sometime sooner than later.

Thanks, Brian A

Re: WINDOWS/INTERIX and Win32 or CLAMAV source [ In reply to ]
On 8 Sep 2008 at 22:44, Brian Amundsen wrote:

[snip]

> My objective is to build ClamAV as a native Win32 application from
> source so that others Windows users can have a more current build that
> doesn't require Cygwin. I know previous writers have complained about
> too many paths and targets, but documentation of how to install and
> what to expect from the install should address the users. I'm also
> hoping the ClamWIN folks might look at INTERIX and move to a native
> Win32 environment build and be able to add the proactive scanning
> sometime sooner than later.

It may be of interest that the clamav team have now said that they intend to produce a
windows port (including binaries) probably for version 0.95. It won't use cygwin, but I
don't know what the target environment will be.

paul