Mailing List Archive

Question regarding using libclamav
Dear All,

First of all, please forgive me if I am not posting this in the right list;
based on the descriptions on http://www.clamav.org/support/ml , I think this
is the most suitable list.

My question is: If I create a program that can *optionally* use libclamav,
must that program be GPL-licensed as well?

For instance, let's assume my program is called "foo", which *optionally*
uses the "libclamav" library.

libclamav uses the GPLv2 license.

If libclamav does not exist in the same directory of "foo", then "foo" runs
using its internal mechanism.

But if libclamav does exist in the same directory as "foo", "foo" will use
libclamav to enhance its internal mechanism. This usage of libclamav,
however is optional; the user must explicitly enable it through "foo" 's
options dialog box.

So, to reiterate my question: Must "foo" be GPL-licensed as well?

Thank you for your information.

--
Pandu E Poluan
My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/
Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Pandu Poluan wrote:

> So, to reiterate my question: Must "foo" be GPL-licensed as well?
>
> Thank you for your information.

I will check and find out for you.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne, nigel.horne@sourcefire.com
Director of Product Management (ClamAV), Sourcefire, http://www.sourcefire.com

Come to Las Vegas to see the latest in Sourcefire and open source innovation.
Register at www.bossconference.com by September 30th to save $200!
Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Nigel.

Looking forward to an enlightenment :-)

{p}

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> First of all, please forgive me if I am not posting this in the right list;
> based on the descriptions on http://www.clamav.org/support/ml , I think this
> is the most suitable list.
>
> My question is: If I create a program that can *optionally* use libclamav,
> must that program be GPL-licensed as well?
>
> For instance, let's assume my program is called "foo", which *optionally*
> uses the "libclamav" library.
>
> libclamav uses the GPLv2 license.
>
> If libclamav does not exist in the same directory of "foo", then "foo" runs
> using its internal mechanism.
>
> But if libclamav does exist in the same directory as "foo", "foo" will use
> libclamav to enhance its internal mechanism. This usage of libclamav,
> however is optional; the user must explicitly enable it through "foo" 's
> options dialog box.
>
> So, to reiterate my question: Must "foo" be GPL-licensed as well?
>
> Thank you for your information.

The easy way would be for foo to use clamscan, or clamd. If the GPL code
lives at a different process,
foo don't need to be GPL.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
A way to weaken the would be to allow different libs to improve to your
otherwise full foo program by
foo exposing different interfaces to them. So you would be using a
GPL-plugin for foo, using genereic,
documented, interfaces (not written specifically for clamav!).
That might stand if it was done by an independent third party (unrelated
to foo or clamav) not interested
on having it other than using the great features of foo and clamav
combined. But if you're developing foo
you should probably gpl-license foo. And if you were developing clamav
you should probably provide
an exception for linking to foo
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingOverControlledInterface
In the hypothetical case i mentioned, when you can't change the rights
of any of the parties, i find odd that
you couldn't do that, but GPL was made with its viric nature in mind.
Nonetheless, IANAL, so take my 2
cents with care. :-)

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Pandu Poluan wrote:

> My question is: If I create a program that can *optionally* use libclamav,
> must that program be GPL-licensed as well?

The short answer is "no", there is no obligation for the new program to be licensed under the GPL.

The creation of a program that optionally makes function calls to a program licensed under the GPL should not create an obligation to distribute the new program under the GPL.

-Nigel

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:35:16 +0200
Gianluigi Tiesi <sherpya@netfarm.it> wrote:

> | So, to reiterate my question: Must "foo" be GPL-licensed as well?
>
> it must be gpl-compatible, you could make this kind of use with a non gpl compatible license
> if libclamav was lgpl

I would think that this would apply only if the program 'foo' were to be distributed to the world. However, if it is an application for internal use only, I would think that this does not apply.

--
Robert Wolfe <robertwolfe@localnet.com>

"The only good thing about Vista is that even
the viruses have compatibility issues. "
Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Okay, thanks for the pointer.

Problem is, I am not the programmer of the program in question. But the
issue of whether the program violates the GPL or not is still a polemic in
my place.

The program is called PCMAV, and the program can be downloaded here:
(each link a different version of the program)
http://rapidshare.com/files/130842014/PCMAV-1.5.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/123822011/PCMAV-1.4.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/116129695/PCMAV-1.3.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/109574110/PCMAV-1.2.zip

The program is a freeware, *but* does not use GPL.

Now, based on the instructions here:
(in Indonesian language, I'll explain below)
http://maseko.com/2007/09/21/pcmav-kenali-lebih-banyak-virus-dengan-library-clamav-09x/

In essence, the instructions say: To integrate PCMAV with ClamAV, all you
have to do is to copy the files libclamav.dll, libclamunrar.dll and
libclamunrar_iface.dll, along with the latest databases main.cvd and
daily.cvd into the same folder where PCMAV is installed.

Now, we are at an impasse; some say PCMAV is violating the GPL. Others say
it is not. Based on the above, what's your take on PCMAV?

I hope to have a definitive answer so that we can put the question to rest.

Thank you for your help.

Rgds,

{p}

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Oh, some additional information:

- PCMAV is publicly distributed through a freeware magazine, but it does
not include libclamav binaries in its distribution (source code of PCMAV
*and* libclamav are also not distributed)
- According to the instructions, there is no option to enable/disable
libclamav integration; if PCMAV finds libclamav files in its directory, it
will use them.

Again, thank you for your help.

Rgds,

{p}

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
If you release sourcecode for PCMAV it will not violate.

Geoff

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately, it is a closed source software(i think). coz, this AV is
only distribute as a bundle with the magazine. Even we can't get the AV
from their website. I don't think they have will to release the sourcecode.

regards,

Reza

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Reza Mochamad Diannagara wrote:
> Unfortunately, it is a closed source software(i think). coz, this AV is
> only distribute as a bundle with the magazine. Even we can't get the AV
> from their website. I don't think they have will to release the sourcecode.
>
> regards,
>
> Reza

If they distribute a binary which is either dyn. or static linked to
clamav to anyone outside of their own org, then they must, by the GPL
license, make the source of their program AND clamav avail to anyone who
receives the binary from them.

Customers of a mag do not qualify as being 'internal distribution'.
--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org / http://www.ahbl.org
Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
If you are using GPL code (the GPL is one of the most often used open source
licenses) in a product (be it commercial or not!) and you do alter the code
in any way, you are obliged to give the sources for this to everyone who
wants them. There are several different methods mentioned in the GPL, one of
those being that interested parties have to write you and you can send them
everything on CD. You may take some money for that to cover the work you
have with that (but obviously NOT to earn something from distributing the
source code).

If you build a product that combines GPL code and code you have written on
your own, you are of course NOT obliged to give out that source code to
anyone.
It can be a challenge to find the right interpretation for the word
"combining" I used in the first sentence in this paragraph. You have to read
the GPL very carefully to decide if your program is a usage/modification of
GPL'ed code that requires you to release the source or not.

With the GPL, it basically works out to this:

If you mix GPL code in with your own code, then yes, you are obligated to
release those modifications sourcecode. However, if your code just links to
GPL code, you are under no such obligation.

Regards,

Geoff Partridge

Managing Director
Airstream Networks Ltd

(06) 323 2858
(021) 910 422

www.airstream.net.nz

CAUTION: This email message and attachments are confidential and may
contain legally privileged information or copyright material. If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender immediately
by return email and then delete both messages and any attachments. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any use,
distribution, amendment, copying or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance of this message or attachments is prohibited. Views
expressed in this email may not be those of Airstream Networks Ltd.

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
I think your statement (quoted below) is slightly incorrect.

The GPL FAQ here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

Clearly states:

... you must release your program under a license compatible with the GPL
(more precisely, compatible with one or more GPL versions accepted by all
the rest of the code in the combination that you link).

Granted, "compatible with GPL" does not mean it must be GPL, but it must
carry on the "Freedom" of GPL.

I don't think PCMAV's license is GPL-compatible, as they do not provide
their source code at all.

{p}

Re: Question regarding using libclamav [ In reply to ]
Pandu Poluan wrote:
> I think your statement (quoted below) is slightly incorrect.
>
> The GPL FAQ here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL
>
> Clearly states:
>
> ... you must release your program under a license compatible with the GPL
> (more precisely, compatible with one or more GPL versions accepted by all
> the rest of the code in the combination that you link).
>
> Granted, "compatible with GPL" does not mean it must be GPL, but it must
> carry on the "Freedom" of GPL.
>
> I don't think PCMAV's license is GPL-compatible, as they do not provide
> their source code at all.
>
> {p}
>

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Geoff Partridge <geoff@airstream.net.nz>wrote:
>
>> If you mix GPL code in with your own code, then yes, you are obligated to
>> release those modifications sourcecode. However, if your code just links to
>> GPL code, you are under no such obligation.
>>
>> Regards,

You are correct Pandu. I'll also note that you can not 'link' to GPL
code via a non-GPL'd app unless 1) the library is LGPL'd, or 2) You have
an exception made by the developers of said app (not just one, but every
developer that retains copyright over code included in said app).

The only way I've seen 3rd party closed source apps use clamav without
violating the license, is to either develop their own client, then use
either TCP or UNIX-socket access to clamd and pass scanning back and
forth that way, or to save the data needing scanning to a temp file,
then executing clamscan/clamdscan on the file, and taking the return
code as a yes/no.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org