Mailing List Archive

Freshclam to not write to syslog?
Good day Guys

I would like to double check something per taining to Freshclam

Is it possible to get Freshclam to not write to syslog (want all logging
to /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log )?

Currently I have the following in my freshclam conf file.

UpdateLogFile /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
LogVerbose no (also tried false)
LogSyslog no (also tried false)
LogFacility LOG_MAIL
Debug false

Is my understand correct that it is not possible to not write to syslog?

Many thanks in this regard.

Regards
Brent Clark

Re: Freshclam to not write to syslog? [ In reply to ]

> Good day Guys
>
> I would like to double check something per taining to Freshclam
>
> Is it possible to get Freshclam to not write to syslog (want all logging
> to /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log )?
>
> Currently I have the following in my freshclam conf file.
>
> UpdateLogFile /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
> LogVerbose no (also tried false)
> LogSyslog no (also tried false)
> LogFacility LOG_MAIL
> Debug false
>
> Is my understand correct that it is not possible to not write to syslog?

My logging goes to syslog, maybe remove this UpdateLogFile? I have only this in my config.

LogSyslog yes
LogFacility LOG_MAIL

Re: Freshclam to not write to syslog? [ In reply to ]
On 04.04.23 15:41, Brent Clark via clamav-users wrote:
>Is it possible to get Freshclam to not write to syslog (want all
>logging to /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log )?
>
>Currently I have the following in my freshclam conf file.
>
>UpdateLogFile /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log
>LogVerbose no (also tried false)
>LogSyslog no (also tried false)
>LogFacility LOG_MAIL
>Debug false

Did you restart freshclam after you configured this?
Are you sure freshclam uses this config file?

>Is my understand correct that it is not possible to not write to syslog?

no.

Boost your system's speed by 500% - DEL C:\WINDOWS$\*.*

Re: Freshclam to not write to syslog? [ In reply to ]
On 2023/04/04 15:47, Marc wrote:
>> My logging goes to syslog, maybe remove this UpdateLogFile? I have only this in my config.
>>
>> LogSyslog yes
>> LogFacility LOG_MAIL

Thanks Guys

Stefano gave me a hint and to check systemd.
Low and behold:

cat ./multi-user.target.wants/clamav-freshclam.service
[Unit]
Description=ClamAV virus database updater
Documentation=man:freshclam(1) man:freshclam.conf(5)
https://docs.clamav.net/
# If user wants it run from cron, don't start the daemon.
ConditionPathExists=!/etc/cron.d/clamav-freshclam
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/freshclam -d --foreground=true
StandardOutput=syslog

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Many thanks all for replying