We have been using clamav-0.103.6 and would like to upgrade to the new LTS
release(1.0.x).
However, I can not find clamav-1.0.1 in EPEL distribution. Our systems are
based on rhel7.

So far , we have been able to install clamav-0.103.x from the EPEL repo and
would like to do the same for the new LTS track(1.0.x) if it's possible.

What are the possible installation options?

/Kumar
Re: linux distribution including clamav-1.0.1 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Mar 2023, kumar bava via clamav-users wrote:

> Hi, please help me with the below question, thank you
>
> We have been using clamav-0.103.6 and would like to upgrade to the new LTS
> release(1.0.x).
> However, I can not find clamav-1.0.1 in EPEL distribution. Our systems are
> based on rhel7.
>
> So far , we have been able to install clamav-0.103.x from the EPEL repo and
> would like to do the same for the new LTS track(1.0.x) if it's possible.

ClamAV >= 0.105 requires Rust. Rust *is* available for rhel7 - see
https://developers.redhat.com/HW/Rust-RHEL-7
but it is a part of devtools.
IIRC (I may not), EPEL rules say that packages cannot be built with
devtools, so I am not sure what EPEL will be doing when 0.103 reaches
EOL in September.

I will ask on the mailing list
epel-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: linux distribution including clamav-1.0.1 [ In reply to ]
On 3/7/23 2:44 PM, Andrew C Aitchison via clamav-users wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2023, kumar bava via clamav-users wrote:

> ClamAV >= 0.105 requires Rust. Rust *is* available for rhel7 - see
> https://developers.redhat.com/HW/Rust-RHEL-7
> but it is a part of devtools.
> IIRC (I may not), EPEL rules say that packages cannot be built with
> devtools, so I am not sure what EPEL will be doing when 0.103 reaches
> EOL in September.

Rust is definitely available in the latest Fedora (v.37), along with a
lot of libraries, tools, and other ancillaries.

# dnf search rust|grep -wi ^rust|wc -l
9291

Re: linux distribution including clamav-1.0.1 [ In reply to ]
On 3/7/23 10:48, kumar bava via clamav-users wrote:
> Hi, please help me with the below question, thank you
>
> We have been using clamav-0.103.6 and would like to upgrade to the new
> LTS release(1.0.x).
> However, I can not find clamav-1.0.1 in EPEL distribution. Our systems
> are based on rhel7.
>
> So far , we have been able to install clamav-0.103.x from the EPEL repo
> and would like to do the same for the new LTS track(1.0.x) if it's possible.
>

> What are the possible installation options?

I've been looking into things and I think we will be able to update
clamav in EL7 and EL8 to 1.0.X once 0.103.X goes EOL. We're basically
just waiting on one issue to get resolved at the moment:

https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/842

We will probably provide a COPR repo for early adopters once that issue
is resolved.

--
Orion Poplawski
he/him/his - surely the least important thing about me
Re: linux distribution including clamav-1.0.1 [ In reply to ]
Hi Orion,

> I've been looking into things and I think we will be able to update
clamav in EL7 and EL8 to 1.0.X once 0.103.X goes EOL.

This would be awesome!

I just looked at https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/842 after reading your message. I'm sorry that I and no one on my team responded sooner. It looks like you may be building directly into the source directory or else copying the source into the build directory. Either way, somehow the encrypted test files from the source are getting colocated with the unencrypted test files inside the build/unit_tests/input/clamav_hdb_scanfiles directory, and that's confusing the tests and causing a failure.

My recommendation is to make a subdirectory for the build else just a separate directory entirely. This keeps the source directory as clean as possible from any files written during the build. I think our build system still adds a few extra files during the build to the source directory (like .pyc files from running test scripts which I'm not terribly happy about), but it's largely untouched.

See also https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing/Installing-from-source-Unix.html#build-clamav

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder