individual email file, log the results and scan the log for what was
detected. Or maybe clued me in on which log I was not searching properly.

Did not find that conversation it in the email archives.

Re: What was detected? [ In reply to ]
On 2/27/2023 3:47 PM, joe a wrote:
> Got an email marked as infected by clamav.  I cannot determine what was
> detected.
>
> A long time ago I asked here and someone described how to scan an
> individual email file, log the results and scan the log for what was
> detected.   Or maybe clued me in on which log I was not searching properly.
>
> Did not find that conversation it in the email archives.

> https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation

Well never mind that part, it is shown clearly in /var/log/clamd.log as
"Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain".

What I think I conflated that with the means to determine the details so
I can add that to a .ign* file. Something to do with debug mode I think.

Re: What was detected? [ In reply to ]
On 2/27/2023 3:52 PM, joe a wrote:
> On 2/27/2023 3:47 PM, joe a wrote:
>> Got an email marked as infected by clamav.  I cannot determine what
>> was detected.
>>
>> A long time ago I asked here and someone described how to scan an
>> individual email file, log the results and scan the log for what was
>> detected.   Or maybe clued me in on which log I was not searching
>> properly.
>>
>> Did not find that conversation it in the email archives.

>> https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation

> Well never mind that part, it is shown clearly in /var/log/clamd.log as
> "Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain".
>
> What I think I conflated that with the means to determine the details so
> I can add that to a .ign* file.   Something to do with debug mode I think.

Or, determine why this was detected in a valid email from a known and
utilized credit card service. Or is it simpler to "white list" this
sender and move on?

Re: What was detected? [ In reply to ]
On 27/02/2023 20:57, joe a wrote:
> On 2/27/2023 3:52 PM, joe a wrote:
>> On 2/27/2023 3:47 PM, joe a wrote:
>>> Got an email marked as infected by clamav.  I cannot determine what
>>> was detected.
>>>
>>> A long time ago I asked here and someone described how to scan an
>>> individual email file, log the results and scan the log for what was
>>> detected.   Or maybe clued me in on which log I was not searching
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> Did not find that conversation it in the email archives.
>>>

>>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
>>> https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation

>> Well never mind that part, it is shown clearly in /var/log/clamd.log
>> as "Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain".
>>
>> What I think I conflated that with the means to determine the details
>> so I can add that to a .ign* file.   Something to do with debug mode
>> I think.
>>

> Or, determine why this was detected in a valid email from a known and
> utilized credit card service.   Or is it simpler to "white list" this
> sender and move on?

If you have sufficient free memory  use clamscan to scan the email in
question. It should be kind enough to highlight the reason why
Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain was triggered.

Re: What was detected? [ In reply to ]
On 2/27/2023 4:24 PM, Paul Netpresto wrote:

> On 27/02/2023 20:57, joe a wrote:

>>> Well never mind that part, it is shown clearly in /var/log/clamd.log
>>> as "Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain".
>>>
>>> What I think I conflated that with the means to determine the details
>>> so I can add that to a .ign* file.   Something to do with debug mode
>>> I think.
>>>

>> Or, determine why this was detected in a valid email from a known and
>> utilized credit card service.   Or is it simpler to "white list" this
>> sender and move on?
>>

> If you have sufficient free memory  use clamscan to scan the email in
> question. It should be kind enough to highlight the reason why
> Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain was triggered.

I attempted that just now. Ran clamscan --debug -f some-email.eml

After it cranks up and apparently beings actually scanning the email,
starts cranking out errors/warnings like:

WARNING: Return-path: <some@body.com>: Can't access file
Seems to be t
This particular email was previously scanned and found to be possibly
infected with "Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain" and am
attempting to determine the actual objectionable domain.

Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Re: What was detected? [ In reply to ]
On 27/02/2023 21:33, joe a wrote:
> On 2/27/2023 4:24 PM, Paul Netpresto wrote:

>>> Or, determine why this was detected in a valid email from a known
>>> and utilized credit card service.   Or is it simpler to "white list"
>>> this sender and move on?
>>>

>> If you have sufficient free memory  use clamscan to scan the email in
>> question. It should be kind enough to highlight the reason why
>> Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain was triggered.
>>

> I attempted that just now.  Ran clamscan --debug -f some-email.eml
>
> After it cranks up and apparently beings actually scanning the email,
> starts cranking out errors/warnings like:

> WARNING: Return-path: <some@body.com>: Can't access file
> Seems to be t
> This particular email was previously scanned and found to be possibly
> infected with "Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain" and am
> attempting to determine the actual objectionable domain.
>
> Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Try clamscan  some-email.eml

Re: What was detected? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, joe a wrote:
66
> On 2/27/2023 4:24 PM, Paul Netpresto wrote:
>
> I attempted that just now. Ran clamscan --debug -f some-email.eml
>
> After it cranks up and apparently beings actually scanning the email,
> starts cranking out errors/warnings like:

> WARNING: Return-path: <some@body.com>: Can't access file
> Seems to be t
> This particular email was previously scanned and found to be possibly
> infected with "Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain" and am attempting
> to determine the actual objectionable domain.
>
> Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Drop the '-f' - it says read the filenames from some-file.eml

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: What was detected? [ In reply to ]
On 2/27/2023 4:49 PM, Andrew C Aitchison via clamav-users wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023, joe a wrote:
> 66
>> On 2/27/2023 4:24 PM, Paul Netpresto wrote:
>>
>> I attempted that just now.  Ran clamscan --debug -f some-email.eml
>>
>> After it cranks up and apparently beings actually scanning the email,
>> starts cranking out errors/warnings like:

>> WARNING: Return-path: <some@body.com>: Can't access file
>> Seems to be t
>> This particular email was previously scanned and found to be possibly
>> infected with "Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain" and am
>> attempting to determine the actual objectionable domain.
>>
>> Clearly I am doing something wrong.
>
> Drop the '-f' - it says read the filenames from some-file.eml
> Try clamscan some-email.eml

Thanks folks, that did it for me. I guess it helps to slow down and read
what -f actually means

Found the link and added it to my ignore file. And it actually does
ignore the"iffy-spoofy" domain.

Maybe I will also save notes this time.