Mailing List Archive

ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published
Read this online at https://blog.clamav.net/2023/02/clamav-01038-01052-and-101-patch.html

-----------------

Today, we are releasing the following critical patch versions for ClamAV:

* 0.103.8
* 0.105.2
* 1.0.1

ClamAV 0.104 has reached end-of-life according to the ClamAV End of Life (EOL) policy<https://docs.clamav.net/faq/faq-eol.html> and will not be patched. Anyone using ClamAV 0.104 must switch to a supported version. All users should update as soon as possible to patch for two remote code execution vulnerabilities that we recently discovered and patched.

The release files are available for download on ClamAV.net<https://www.clamav.net/downloads>, on the Github Release page<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/releases>, and through Docker Hub<https://hub.docker.com/r/clamav/clamav/>.

1.0.1

ClamAV 1.0.1 is a critical patch release with the following fixes:

* CVE-2023-20032<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2023-20032>: Fixed a possible remote code execution vulnerability in the HFS+ file parser. The issue affects versions 1.0.0 and earlier, 0.105.1 and earlier, and 0.103.7 and earlier. Thank you to Simon Scannell for reporting this issue.

* CVE-2023-20052<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2023-20052>: Fixed a possible remote information leak vulnerability in the DMG file parser. The issue affects versions 1.0.0 and earlier, 0.105.1 and earlier, and 0.103.7 and earlier. Thank you to Simon Scannell for reporting this issue.

* Fix an allmatch detection issue with the preclass bytecode hook.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/825

* Update the vendored libmspack library to version 0.11alpha.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/828

0.105.2

ClamAV 0.105.2 is a critical patch release with the following fixes:

* CVE-2023-20032<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2023-20032>: Fixed a possible remote code execution vulnerability in the HFS+ file parser. The issue affects versions 1.0.0 and earlier, 0.105.1 and earlier, and 0.103.7 and earlier. Thank you to Simon Scannell for reporting this issue.

* CVE-2023-20052<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2023-20052>: Fixed a possible remote information leak vulnerability in the DMG file parser. The issue affects versions 1.0.0 and earlier, 0.105.1 and earlier, and 0.103.7 and earlier. Thank you to Simon Scannell for reporting this issue.

* Fixed an issue loading Yara rules containing regex strings with an escaped forward-slash (\/) followed by a colon (:).

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/695

* Moved the ClamAV Docker files for building containers to a new Git repository. The Docker files are now in https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-docker. This change enables us to fix issues with the images and with the supporting scripts used to publish and update the images without committing changes directly to files in the ClamAV release branches.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/765

* Update the vendored libmspack library to version 0.11alpha.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/829

0.103.8

ClamAV 0.103.8 is a critical patch release with the following fixes:

* CVE-2023-20032<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2023-20032>: Fixed a possible remote code execution vulnerability in the HFS+ file parser. The issue affects versions 1.0.0 and earlier, 0.105.1 and earlier, and 0.103.7 and earlier. Thank you to Simon Scannell for reporting this issue.

* CVE-2023-20052<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2023-20052>: Fixed a possible remote information leak vulnerability in the DMG file parser. The issue affects versions 1.0.0 and earlier, 0.105.1 and earlier, and 0.103.7 and earlier. Thank you to Simon Scannell for reporting this issue.

* Update the vendored libmspack library to version 0.11alpha.

* GitHub pull request: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/830

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately Ubuntu (22.04.1) has not released 0.103.7 since today... We
are on 0.103.6 and get always warnings from feshclam that we use an
outdated version ????.... Don't know, when Ubuntu will push this fixed
version. I will really update, but when we don't get the new packages...

ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I would like to ask whether these two new vulnerabilities affect the
version 0.100.3.

Thank you
Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
?100.3 hasn’t been supported in years. There’s lots of our abilities that affect the version.

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
Vulnerabilities*

Sent from my iPhone

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
Good day Guys

Anyone on Debian Buster and Bullseye?

How serious is this?
Does anyone have any suggestions. Cause there is no packages available.

If anyone can share their thoughts / experiences.

Regards
Brent

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
Packages for Bullseye are available in bullseye -proposed-updates. Buster is now supported by the Debian LTS team and I don't know their plans.

Scott K

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Le 20/02/2023 à 13:11, Brent Clark via clamav-users a écrit :
> Good day Guys
>
> Anyone on Debian Buster and Bullseye?
>
> How serious is this?
> Does anyone have any suggestions. Cause there is no packages available.

Package is available (0.103.8) in Bulleye proposed update :
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/clamav

--
Cordialement / Best regards,

Arnaud Jacques
Gérant de SecuriteInfo.com

Téléphone : +33-(0)3.60.47.09.81
E-mail : aj@securiteinfo.com
Site web : https://www.securiteinfo.com
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/SecuriteInfocom/132872523492286
Twitter : @SecuriteInfoCom
Writing signatures for ClamAV antivirus since 2006

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
LTS team uploaded it today, so it should be available for Buster shortly, if
it isn't already.

Scott K

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
Does this mean, it affects the Ubuntu LTS too? This would be really great!

Am 20. Februar 2023 19:44:51 schrieb Scott Kitterman via clamav-users

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
No. Ubuntu package maintenance is separate from Debian's.

Scott K

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
I am using ClamAV 0.103.6 on Buster, but I have always built it from source (since way before Cisco and even SourceFire), hence I'm a bit obsolete.

I did this -- and still do it -- because ClamAV has always been a bit experimental. Thus I install each version under "/opt/clamav.d/version" so I can easily revert if there is a problem. (And I have similarly disabled the systemd linkage for more control).

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:11:10 +0200

Re: ClamAV 0.103.8, 0.105.2 and 1.0.1 patch versions published [ In reply to ]
>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:11:10 +0200
>Brent Clark via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:
>> Anyone on Debian Buster and Bullseye?
>>
>> How serious is this?
>> Does anyone have any suggestions. Cause there is no packages available.
>>
>> If anyone can share their thoughts / experiences.

the packages for clamav 0.103.8 are now available on debian buster and
bullseye:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/clamav

Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.

> No. Ubuntu package maintenance is separate from Debian's.
>
> Scott K

For those interested, David Gonzales just released the patches to security-proposed on Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/clamav/+bug/2007456

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski
TrueNet, Inc.