Mailing List Archive

Re: clamav-users Digest, Vol 219, Issue 5
It was suggested that:

"If FreshClam is failing and you're not sure why, you may run freshclam
-v for "Verbose Mode" to see the HTTP request & response details
(ClamAV 0.102+)."

And that:

"[If] running a version of FreshClam/ClamAV lower than 0.103.2? If so,
you should immediately upgrade to at least 0.103.2."

But am exclusively a Debian Linux site. There is no version beyond 1.0
for Linux. While I installed the code via aptitude, a Debian package
installer, I did check to see if there was a later version on
https://www.clamav.net/downloads for Linux. There is not. 1.03 is a
Windows version.

The command freshclam -v in version 1.0 does NOT display http request
and responses. It doesn't tell me anything that I didn't see before.

As the response was "FreshClam previously received error code 429 or
403 from the ClamAV Content Delivery Network (CDN)."

I have no idea whether the real response was 403 or 429, and so there
is no way to know, regardless of what the individual responding
suggested.

The response also said "If you are receiving a 403, 503, or 1020 error
codes when downloading from Cloudflare, then you are either explicitly
blocked, using an EOL'ed version of ClamAV or you are downloading
incorrectly."

But I have no idea where I am receiving the response from. This is a
command-line issue at a terminal prompt on Debian 11.5 (bullseye). I am
not using a browser. As I noted, the initial install on the same type
of OS on a separate Debian 11.5 server ran fine and the 'freshclam'
command worked. The failures came when I attempted to run the command
on other servers.

As to setting up a mirror, I will look into it, but ClamAV
documentation says that doing so delays needed current updates. And I
don't have ten hosts. Further, while I will look at it further, what I
see for mirrors on Linux, it is for the entire code not just the
refresh stuff. I don't want to open a server up to more that I need and
my servers are CMD only. While a couple do have GUIs if I go to them, I
typically interact with them as SSH sessions. Some of the docs seem to
require GUI access.

Re: clamav-users Digest, Vol 219, Issue 5 [ In reply to ]
I am running a new Debian 11 box here.  When I run

apt search clamav

It shows 0.103.7 which is newer than 0.103.2

clamav/stable 0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1 amd64
 anti-virus utility for Unix - command-line interface

clamav-base/stable 0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1 all
 anti-virus utility for Unix - base package

clamav-daemon/stable 0.103.7+dfsg-0+deb11u1 amd64
 anti-virus utility for Unix - scanner daemon

For this system, I choose not to run the Debian packages of Clamav for
other reasons. So I am running 1.0.0 on that box as I installed it via
source downloaded from Clam.

You have options.

I will admit that compiling from source is not for everyone.

Lyle Giese