Mailing List Archive

Five units : Four denied FreshClam
I successfully installed ClamAV in a server at 12 12:15:39. But there
other three servers and a workstation I am installing the code on and I
am getting this when I try to run FreshClam on the initial install on
each of the remaining hosts...

* Sat Feb 11 13:22:23 2023 -> ClamAV update process started at Sat Feb
* Sat Feb 11 13:22:23 2023 -> ^FreshClam previously received error
code 429 or 403 from the ClamAV Content Delivery Network (CDN).
* Sat Feb 11 13:22:23 2023 -> This means that you have been rate
limited or blocked by the CDN.
* Sat Feb 11 13:22:23 2023 -> 2. Run FreshClam no more than once an
hour to check for updates.
* Sat Feb 11 13:22:23 2023 -> ^You are still on cool-down until after:
2023-02-12 12:15:39

Even if I was limited to one an hour, (waiting an hour before I update
the next host) that timeout was satisfied. As I am not running ten
host, there is according to your text, no need for a mirror. How to I
get around this block?

??????????????????????????????
Ellis Michael "Mike" Lieberman
Purok 13, Morales Subd.
Brgy Mabuhay, General Santos City, 9500 Philippines

Re: Five units : Four denied FreshClam [ In reply to ]
https://docs.clamav.net/faq/faq-freshclam.html
HTTP Error Codes

If you are receiving a 403, 503, or 1020 error codes when downloading from Cloudflare, then you are either explicitly blocked, using an EOL'ed version of ClamAV or you are downloading incorrectly.

If FreshClam is failing and you're not sure why, you may run freshclam -v for "Verbose Mode" to see the HTTP request & response details (ClamAV 0.102+).

After checking that you are using a current version of ClamAV, please discontinue whatever method of download you are using and immediately move to using either FreshClam or cvdupdate. These are the two supported methods for downloading AV updates from ClamAV. All other methods may be rate limited, or blocked at our discretion. Use of Wget, Curl, or other command line tools that are scripted are explicitly denied.

If you are receiving a 429, that means you are rate limited. You're downloading too fast or too much. Please use Freshclam or cvdupdate. If you are using a shared hosting provider, like Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Computing, Oracle, Azure, etc, you will most likely be rate limited, however cvdupdate should handle this gracefully. If you continue to receive these, we recommend you try from a different external IP address.

If you are receiving a 403 specifically on the safebrowsing.cvd file, please read this blog post immediately!

Are you running a version of FreshClam/ClamAV lower than 0.103.2? If so, you should immediately upgrade to at least 0.103.2.

If you have checked all of the above and you are still seeing errors, please open a ticket using the below link.

https://docs.clamav.net/appendix/CvdPrivateMirror.html

Von / From: Mike Lieberman <mailto:mike@netwright.net>
An / To: Newcomer01 <mailto:newcomer01@posteo.de>
Gesendet / Sent: Samstag, Februar 11, 2023 um 06:41 (at 06:41 AM) +0100
Betreff / Subject: [clamav-users] Five units : Four denied FreshClam

Re: Five units : Four denied FreshClam [ In reply to ]
you can donwload the signature databases to our local maschine and update all servers by copying the files manually to the servers folders