Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it? I have access to hardware to test fixes if there are patches.

Scott K

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=clamav&arch=powerpc&ver=1.0.0%2Bdfsg-4&stamp=1672878929&raw=0

Re: Testing for Big Endian Architectures [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, January 5, 2023 8:51:27 AM EST Scott Kitterman via clamav-users
wrote:
> We finally have Clamav 1.0.0 in Debian Unstable.
>
> Unfortunately, unit tests fail on all big endian archs (shown in the PowerPC
> build log [1] - it's the same tests failing on all of them). Does upstream
> testing include big endian?
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it? I have access to hardware to
> test fixes if there are patches.
>
> Scott K
>
> [1]
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=clamav&arch=powerpc&ver=1.0.
> 0%2Bdfsg-4&stamp=1672878929&raw=0

My Debian collaborator Sebastian Siewior confirmed there are endianness issues
in libclamav/pe.c. We have a patch we're testing which we will submit
upstream to fix this.

Scott K
Re: Testing for Big Endian Architectures [ In reply to ]
On 1/6/23 14:29, Scott Kitterman via clamav-users wrote:
> On Thursday, January 5, 2023 8:51:27 AM EST Scott Kitterman via clamav-users
> wrote:
>> We finally have Clamav 1.0.0 in Debian Unstable.
>>
>> Unfortunately, unit tests fail on all big endian archs (shown in the PowerPC
>> build log [1] - it's the same tests failing on all of them). Does upstream
>> testing include big endian?
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it? I have access to hardware to
>> test fixes if there are patches.
>>
>> Scott K
>>
>> [1]
>> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=clamav&arch=powerpc&ver=1.0.
>> 0%2Bdfsg-4&stamp=1672878929&raw=0
>
> My Debian collaborator Sebastian Siewior confirmed there are endianness issues
> in libclamav/pe.c. We have a patch we're testing which we will submit
> upstream to fix this.
>
> Scott K

There is this: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/759 which
perhaps are the same failures you are seeing? A patch would be appreciated.

--
Orion Poplawski
he/him/his - surely the least important thing about me
Re: Testing for Big Endian Architectures [ In reply to ]
On January 8, 2023 5:40:55 AM UTC, Orion Poplawski <orion@nwra.com> wrote:
>On 1/6/23 14:29, Scott Kitterman via clamav-users wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 5, 2023 8:51:27 AM EST Scott Kitterman via clamav-users
>> wrote:
>>> We finally have Clamav 1.0.0 in Debian Unstable.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, unit tests fail on all big endian archs (shown in the PowerPC
>>> build log [1] - it's the same tests failing on all of them). Does upstream
>>> testing include big endian?
>>>
>>> Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it? I have access to hardware to
>>> test fixes if there are patches.
>>>
>>> Scott K
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=clamav&arch=powerpc&ver=1.0.
>>> 0%2Bdfsg-4&stamp=1672878929&raw=0
>>
>> My Debian collaborator Sebastian Siewior confirmed there are endianness issues
>> in libclamav/pe.c. We have a patch we're testing which we will submit
>> upstream to fix this.
>>
>> Scott K
>
>There is this: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/759 which perhaps are the same failures you are seeing? A patch would be appreciated.

Likely the same.

With the patch, all the unit tests pass on s390x now:

https://salsa.debian.org/clamav-team/clamav/-/blob/unstable/debian/patches/libclamav-pe-Use-endian-wrapper-in-more-places.patch

We will submit it more formally, but it's there if anyone wants it in the meantime.

Scott K

Re: Testing for Big Endian Architectures [ In reply to ]
Thanks Scott, Sebastian, and Orion. I'll keep an eye out for the patch PR.

Best,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development