Mailing List Archive

Documentation: Installing, Unix From Source
It looks like the Ubuntu/Debian instructions are somewhat out of date
regarding installing CMake. Likely others too. In the currently published
instructions:

https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing/Installing-from-source-Unix.html

There's a note that says:

Note: Many of the instructions below rely on Python 3's Pip package manager to
install CMake. This is because many distributions do not provide a new enough
version of CMake required to build ClamAV.

According to the 1.0.0 CmakeLists.txt, the required version is 3.14:

cmake_minimum_required( VERSION 3.14 )

This was released a very long time ago:

https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/tree/v3.14.0 (March 14, 2019)

For Debian, Cmake 3.18 or newer is available in the current stable release
(the only one that's fully supported).

For Ubuntu 3.16 or newer is available for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Focal Fossa and
newer. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is still supported for a few more months, but I doubt
people still on a releast that's two LTS releases ago are building new
software for it.

Would it be possible to add something to suggest just installing the cmake
package for Debian/Ubuntu instead of going the pip route?

Scott K
Re: Documentation: Installing, Unix From Source [ In reply to ]
Sorry Scott, just saw this catching up on emails from over the holidays. Yes, absolutely we can the instructions to use apt instead of pip.

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.