Mailing List Archive

Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running
Hi,

I'm using the latest Windows Clamav version (1.0.0).
I'm connected to clamd and I request a folder scan having 94,249 files,
10GB total.
The command I send is MULTISCAN [folder].
When scanner is over 9,075 files it stops working and the message is:

memory allocation of 1048576 bytes failed

Clamd stop running.
I'm running with next relevant settings in clamd.conf:

MaxThreads 6
ScanArchive yes
MaxScanSize 20M
MaxFileSize 10M
MaxFiles 150
MaxRecursion 10

The same test with the older 0.105 Clamav version works without trouble
using the same parameters.
What could be happening there?
Thank you

Jorge
Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi Jorge,

Is it a particular file that is being scanned when this happens?

Could you please send clamd's logs to help determine what is going on?

Thanks,
Andy
________________________________

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi,

These are the last lines of the log, -the interesting part I think-

WARNING: File path check failure for:
C:\Users\jorge\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\aoic9o0z.default-1503790200264\AlternateServices-223.txt
Quarantine of the file may fail if file path contains symlinks.
WARNING: File path check failure on: C:\Windows\System32\services.exe
WARNING: File path check failure on:
C:\Users\jorge\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\aoic9o0z.default-1503790200264\AlternateServices-223.txt
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65013504 bytes).
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65013504 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for data->lsigcnt[0]
C:\Clamav\clamd.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\src\Anticrap\AnticrapManager\x64\Debug\AnticrapManager.exe: Can't
allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Shared\Common\DiagnosticsHub.Collection.Service\StandardCollector.Service.exe:
OK
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65013504 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\Users\jorge\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\aoic9o0z.default-1503790200264\AlternateServices.txt:
OK
C:\Users\jorge\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\aoic9o0z.default-1503790200264\AlternateServices.txt:
OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64\msvsmon.exe: OK
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65013504 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mmc.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\fc.exe: OK
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mmc.exe: OK

Thank you

Jorge

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi,

This is a very frequent error in the log:

LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65013504 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65013504 bytes).
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65013504 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell_ise.exe: Can't
allocate memory ERROR

Thanks,

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi Jorge,

I have attempted to reproduce the issue and haven't had any luck. Here is what I tried, please let me know what I could be doing wrong.

1. Downloaded the prebuilt clamav-1.0.0.win.x64.zip
2. clamd.exe --log=<log path>
3. clamdscan --log=<log path> --multiscan <folder>

the scan folder had 23k files.

I then tried separating the files into multiple folders, and passing all the folders into clamdscan

1. clamdscan --log=<log> --multiscan <folder 1> <folder2> ...

Neither of these were able to reproduce the behavior you are seeing. Can you tell me a little more about your particular configuration, and what else I can try to reproduce this?

Thanks,
Andy

________________________________

El mi?, 7 dic 2022 a las 18:43, Andy Ragusa (aragusa) via clamav-users (<clamav-users@lists.clamav.net<mailto:clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>>) escribi?:

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Thank you for your time and tests.
If I turn off the ScanArchive switch clamd doesn't crash.
Maybe I have some unusual file there, I'm going to make more tests.
In any case I have several lines like these:

calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65020160 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
C:\Anticrap upload\AnticrapManager.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65020160 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
C:\Anticrap upload\ChromeSetup.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR

The error happens with any file, several times during a normal scanning in
any folder.
Is that a normal error reporting?

Thanks you

Jorge

El vie, 9 dic 2022 a las 18:08, Andy Ragusa (aragusa) via clamav-users (<

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
That is not a normal error condition, unless you are out of memory or something like that. I tried making calloc fail on that condition, but that didn't work for me.

So if you scan just that archive AnticrapManager.exe by itself, you also see this?

________________________________

El vie, 9 dic 2022 a las 18:08, Andy Ragusa (aragusa) via clamav-users (<clamav-users@lists.clamav.net<mailto:clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>>) escribi?:

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The error happens for any file in a "massive" scan.
This is part of the log scanning of the folder: C:\Program Files (x86):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\x64\TE.ProcessHost.Managed.Clr20.exe:
OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\x86\MinTe\TE.ProcessHost.exe: *Can't allocate
memory ERROR*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\TE.ProcessHost.Managed.exe:
OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\TE.ProcessHost.Managed.Clr20.exe:
OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow\x64\TE.ProcessHost.Managed.exe:
OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\MinTe\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: *Can't allocate
memory ERROR*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: *Can't allocate
memory ERROR*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\arm64\MinTe\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: Can't
allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\x64\MinTe\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: Can't
allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\x86\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: Can't allocate
memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\x86\MinTe\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: Can't
allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\arm\MinTe\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: Can't
allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Testing\Runtimes\TAEF\x64\TE.ProcessHost.UAP.exe: Can't allocate
memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\TeamViewer_Note.exe: Can't allocate
memory ERROR
C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_10.5\tools\pcb\bin\techfile13.exe: Can't allocate memory
ERROR
C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_10.5\tools\pcb\bin\techfile14.exe: Can't allocate memory
ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team
Explorer\Git\usr\bin\test.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin\tee.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Team Foundation
Server\12.0\LabManagement\TestAgentInstaller.exe: OK
C:\Program Files\Git\usr\bin\test.exe: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\Common7\IDE\TestAgentConfig.exe: OK
C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\2.1.526\TestHost\testhost.exe: Can't allocate
memory ERROR
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\TShell\TShell\TaskActionHandlers\TestMetadataTool.exe:
OK

An individual scan of any of these files runs ok.
I copied one of this files to a "testfolder" folder and started a scan, and
everything goes ok:

Listening daemon: PID: 20796
MaxQueue set to: 512
C:\testfolder\TE.ProcessHost.exe: OK

The same happens for any scan of a folder:

LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for data->lsigcnt[0]
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\license\bin\License Generator.dll: Can't allocate memory
ERROR
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for data->lsigcnt[0]
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\license\bin\log4net.dll: Can't allocate memory ERROR
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for data->lsigcnt[0]
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\license\bin\MiToken.ActiveDirectory.Library.dll: Can't
allocate memory ERROR
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\license\bin\!!License Generator.dll.config: OK

In other tests, a scanning of my own folder (c:\users\jorge) suddenly stops:

C:\Users\jorge\OneDrive\20180302_095721.jpg: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Pictures\Cumple\Cumple\DSCN1170.JPG: OK
C:\Users\jorge\OneDrive\20180302_095738.jpg: OK
*memory allocation of 47775744 bytes failed*

...and clamd stops.

I'm testing using clamd -F command, not running as a service, just to get
the log dump in the console screen.
The connection is performed from my own application and the command sent to
the clamd socket is:

nMULTISCAN C:\Program Files (x86)\n

or

nMULTISCAN c:\users\jorge\n

The machine I'm using for testing has 32GBytes, and only 29% is in use.
Clamav uses 1GB.

[image: image.png]

Thank you

Jorge

El lun, 12 dic 2022 a las 20:05, Andy Ragusa (aragusa) via clamav-users (<

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Missed from previous email:

The same scannings using *0.105 clamd* runs without issues:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\acrocef_1\cef.pak: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader
DC\Reader\acrocef_1\natives_blob.bin: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\acrocef_1\libEGL.dll:
OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader
DC\Reader\acrocef_1\RdrServicesUpdater.exe: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader
DC\Reader\acrocef_1\libGLESv2.dll: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader
DC\Reader\acrocef_1\snapshot_blob.bin: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader
DC\Reader\acrocef_1\locales\en-US.pak: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader
DC\Reader\acrocef_1\v8_context_snapshot.bin: OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\acrocef_1\icudtl.dat:
OK
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader
DC\Reader\acrocef_1\chrome_elf.dll: OK

...etc...

The same for any other folders, no issues, no memory errores.
Both clamd running from console (clamd -F), both connected from
applications that only opens a socket connection and send the command
"nMULTISCAN folder".

Re: Memory Allocation error, clamd stop running [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Sorry for the flood...
I have made the same tests using clamdscan and I have discovered that the
error happens with multi threads (the same command I'm sending)

This is the result for the command:

*clamdscan.exe --multiscan C:\users\jorge*

:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\itdrvsc.dll: Can't allocate memory ERROR
calloc_problemLibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
: Not enough space
C:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\itdrvua.dll: Can't allocate memory ERROR
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
calloc_problemC:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\itdrvuc.dll: Can't allocate
memory ERROR
: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
calloc_problem: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
calloc_problem: LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
calloc_problemC:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\itdrvum.dll: Can't allocate
memory ERROR
: LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for data->lsigcnt[0]
Not enough space
calloc_problem: Not enough spaceLibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't
allocate memory (65025792 bytes).

C:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\sbuysupplies.exe: Can't allocate memory
ERROR
calloc_problemLibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory
(65025792 bytes).
: Not enough space
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for data->lsigcnt[0]
LibClamAV Error: cli_calloc(): Can't allocate memory (65025792 bytes).
LibClamAV Error: cli_ac_init: Can't allocate memory for
data->lsigsuboff_(last|first)[0]
C:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\coinst.dll: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\itdrvur.dll: Can't allocate memory ERROR
C:\Users\jorge\Saved Games\desktop.ini: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\desktop.ini: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\Everywhere.search-ms: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\Indexed Locations.search-ms: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\Microsoft Outlook.searchconnector-ms: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\winrt--{S-1-5-21-2369677467-393392422-2501058989-1001}-.searchconnector-ms:
OK

The same scan, without multiscan, runs ok:

*clamdscan.exe C:\users\jorge*

C:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\sbuysupplies.exe: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Printer\SPL\amd64\coinst.dll: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Saved Games\desktop.ini: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\desktop.ini: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\Everywhere.search-ms: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\Indexed Locations.search-ms: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\Microsoft Outlook.searchconnector-ms: OK
C:\Users\jorge\Searches\winrt--{S-1-5-21-2369677467-393392422-2501058989-1001}-.searchconnector-ms:
OK

So, this is related to multithread scan.