Mailing List Archive

ClamAV on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled
Hello,

It would appear ClamAV will not run on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled.
Has anyone else seen this issue?

When I disable FIPS ClamAV will start.

# uname -a
Linux rhel9test 5.14.0-70.26.1.el9_0.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 2 16:07:40 EDT 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# rpm -qa|grep clam
clamav-filesystem-0.103.7-1.el9.noarch
clamav-data-0.103.7-1.el9.noarch
clamav-lib-0.103.7-1.el9.x86_64
clamav-0.103.7-1.el9.x86_64
clamd-0.103.7-1.el9.x86_64

Oct 24 12:07:44 rhel9test systemd[1]: Starting clamd scanner daemon...
Oct 24 12:07:45 rhel9test clamd[46661]: LibClamAV Error: Can't load /var/lib/clamav/daily.cvd: Can't allocate memory
Oct 24 12:07:45 rhel9test clamd[46661]: LibClamAV Error: cli_loaddbdir(): error loading database /var/lib/clamav/daily.cvd
Oct 24 12:07:45 rhel9test clamd[46661]: ERROR: Can't allocate memory
Oct 24 12:07:45 rhel9test systemd[1]: clamd@service.service<mailto:clamd@service.service>: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 24 12:07:45 rhel9test systemd[1]: clamd@service.service<mailto:clamd@service.service>: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 24 12:07:45 rhel9test systemd[1]: Failed to start clamd scanner daemon.

Thanks,
Jeff Hoevenaar
Re: ClamAV on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled [ In reply to ]
Hello,

> Oct 24 12:07:45 rhel9test clamd[46661]: ERROR: Can't allocate memory

You do not have enough RAM.
Do you have, at leaset 8Gb ?

--
Cordialement / Best regards,

Arnaud Jacques
Gérant de SecuriteInfo.com

Téléphone : +33-(0)3.60.47.09.81
E-mail : aj@securiteinfo.com
Site web : https://www.securiteinfo.com
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/SecuriteInfocom/132872523492286
Twitter : @SecuriteInfoCom
Signatures for ClamAV antivirus : http://ow.ly/LqfdL

Re: ClamAV on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled [ In reply to ]

On 24.10.22 19:43, Arnaud Jacques wrote:
>You do not have enough RAM.
>Do you have, at leaset 8Gb ?

1 GB is not enough, 2GB should be enough to run clamav scanner.
reloading virus database in memory uses temporarily 2-times as much RAM.

with 3rd party virus signatures, you may need even more ram

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Re: ClamAV on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled [ In reply to ]
I have enough RAM. It is an issue with running in FIPS mode.

Thanks,
Jeff Hoevenaar

WARNING: This email originated from outside of GE. Please validate the sender's email address before clicking on links or attachments as they may not be safe.

Hello,

Re: ClamAV on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled [ In reply to ]
On 10/24/22 11:03, Hoevenaar, Jeffrey (GE Aerospace, US) via
clamav-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It would appear ClamAV will not run on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?

Known issue: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/564

which it seems you have already found.

--
Orion Poplawski
he/him/his - surely the least important thing about me
Re: ClamAV on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Oct 2022, Orion Poplawski via clamav-users wrote:

> On 10/24/22 11:03, Hoevenaar, Jeffrey (GE Aerospace, US) via clamav-users
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It would appear ClamAV will not run on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>
> Known issue: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/564
>
> which it seems you have already found.

I guess that including an internal implementation of md5 would
enable ClamAV to run on FIPS enabled/compliant machines,
but that even so, this would not be the right thing to do ?

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: ClamAV on RHEL9 with FIPS enabled [ In reply to ]
We plan to migrate away from MD5, and eventually stop supporting MD5 hash signatures as well. I'm hopeful we can do it in the next feature version. An internal MD5 implementation may be required if we can't fully migrate, but I suspect we should be able to.

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development