Hi there, I am not sure if this the correct channel to request help. We have
a dedicated WHM/cPanel server at Inmotion Hosting. We have been using ClamAV
for years and it still working well to detect email infected and delete/move
them using a cronjob at cPanel level, but not sure since what version of
WHM/cPanel, ClamAV stopped executing an action (delete of move email
infected). Inmotion hosting support said that they cannot help us with a 3er
party application, so, I was wondering if somebody can point me to the right
direction to this problem. Thanks.
Re: ClamAV Action is not working on WHM/cPanel [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022, Javier Camacho via clamav-users wrote:

> Hi there, I am not sure if this the correct channel to request help. We have
> a dedicated WHM/cPanel server at Inmotion Hosting. We have been using ClamAV
> for years and it still working well to detect email infected and delete/move
> them using a cronjob at cPanel level, but not sure since what version of
> WHM/cPanel, ClamAV stopped executing an action (delete of move email
> infected). Inmotion hosting support said that they cannot help us with a 3er
> party application, so, I was wondering if somebody can point me to the right
> direction to this problem. Thanks.

Well we can try. :)

There might be someone reading who is familiar with your setup. I am
not, but I can say more or less what I'd expect to find in it.

ClamAV is a highly configurable toolkit. It can be used in many ways
we need to know how you're using it.

Somewhere you must be something which hands data to ClamAV, so that
the scanner [*] can scan it according to your wishes (configurable),
report its findings, and perhaps perform some (also configurable)
actions such as I understand in your case deleting or moving files
if the scanner finds something unwelcome.

To track down the cause of your problem it will probably be necessary
to learn a great deal about the details of all this. Things like the
names of the mail programs, how they are configured to send the data
to ClamAV and accept its replies, how the ClamAV scanner itself is
implemented (is it a daemon or not) and configured, whther or not you
are using a milter and if so how it is configured, and so on. In all
cases it will be important to know the exact version numbers of the
software. In the case of ClamAV for example some versions are past
End Of Life and can no longer be used to download signature updates.

The ClamAV toolkit provides a utility called 'clamconf' which will
display the (ClamaAV only) configurations which you are using - but
only if the utility has been installed and you can run it. At the
moment I don't even know if you have access to that utility. If you
can try running

clamconf -n

at a command shell prompt we might learn something. If it looks
useful please let us have the output cut-and-pasted into an email.

What other details can you supply?

[*] The scanner is usually a daemon, but it doesn't have to be.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: ClamAV Action is not working on WHM/cPanel [ In reply to ]
I am betting that Inmotion is running an old version of ClamAV that can’t update anymore.

I’d bet money on that.

Re: ClamAV Action is not working on WHM/cPanel [ In reply to ]
Joel,

As far as I know it should be managed by cPanel, but I haven’t run it in ages.
My suggestion would be to ask here: https://forums.cpanel.net/ <https://forums.cpanel.net/>