Mailing List Archive

remove me

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
moron, search at least how to be removed from a mailinglist

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 8 Sep 2022, Michael Piziak via clamav-users wrote:

> remove me

It would more polite to read the headers of any mail sent to you by the
list, wherein you will find the information you need to remove yourself.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
On 9/8/22 12:19 PM, Marc wrote:
> moron, search at least how to be removed from a mailinglist

Marc, there is no need to insult someone.

We are all part of a community trying to make the entire community a
better place.

Please refrain from ad hominem attacks.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
Check the bottom of every email sent to the list.

Sent from my ? iPhone

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
On 08.09.22 20:40, Joel Esler via clamav-users wrote:
>Check the bottom of every email sent to the list.

perhaps it could contain better unsubscribe info, the top-down link:
does not contain unsubscribe

- send mail from subscribed address to clamav-users-request@lists.clamav.net
with subject "unsubscribe"
or
- enter subscribed address to the "Unsubscribe or edit options" dialog at

AND

- confirm the mail you'll get to that address
verification is important so nobody tan subscribe/unsubscribe address they
don't own

>> On Sep 8, 2022, at 14:16, Michael Piziak via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:
>> remove me

>clamav-users mailing list
>clamav-users@lists.clamav.net
>

>Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
>https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation

Windows found: (R)emove, (E)rase, (D)elete

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]

> perhaps it could contain better unsubscribe info, the top-down link:
> does not contain unsubscribe

What about doing some sort of IQ test before users subscribe something like 2+2=?

;)

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2022-09-09 at 12:29 +0000, Marc wrote:

> > perhaps it could contain better unsubscribe info, the top-down link:
> > does not contain unsubscribe
>
> What about doing some sort of IQ test before users subscribe something
> like 2+2=?
>
> ;)

You jest, but that is core Mailman2 functionality that is in every
decent version of Mailman:

ClamTeam, just add this to /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py:
-------------
CAPTCHAS = {
'en': [
('What is three times 2?', '(6|six)'),
],
'de': [
('Was ist 3 mal 6?', '(18|achtzehn)'),
],
}
--------------

Mailman2 also supports reCPATCHA and there's a working patch for
HCAPTCHA support.

-Jim P.

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
I am also trying to "unsubscribe" to the clamav-users
list, but have not found a link or instructions on how to
do this. Thanx for pointing me to the email header! Jan

=>> Hi there,
=>>
=>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2022, Michael Piziak via clamav-users
=>> It would more polite to read the headers of any mail sent
=>> to you by the
=>> list, wherein you will find the information you need to
=>> remove yourself.
=>>
=>> --
=>>
=>> 73,
=>> Ged.
=>> _______________________________________________
=>>
=>> clamav-users mailing list
=>> clamav-users@lists.clamav.net
=>>
=>>
=>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide:
=>> https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation
=>>
=>> https://docs.clamav.net/#mailing-lists-and-chat
=>>

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]

On 09.09.22 12:29, Marc wrote:
>What about doing some sort of IQ test before users subscribe something like 2+2=?

making unsubscribe easier would spare us from solving problems like these.

unfortunately, subscribing is often easaier than unsubscribing which is not
good.

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
> On Sep 9, 2022, at 12:40 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>
> On 09.09.22 12:29, Marc wrote:
>> What about doing some sort of IQ test before users subscribe something like 2+2=?
>
> making unsubscribe easier would spare us from solving problems like these.
>
> unfortunately, subscribing is often easaier than unsubscribing which is not good.

Subscribing and unsubscribing is the same amount of steps, from the same webpage. I don’t understand why people are able to join a technical command line driven antivirus client email list, but can’t remove themselves.
Re: remove me [ In reply to ]

On 12.09.22 09:41, Joel Esler via clamav-users wrote:
>Subscribing and unsubscribing is the same amount of steps, from the same
> webpage. I don’t understand why people are able to join a technical
> command line driven antivirus client email list, but can’t remove
> themselves.

neither do I - I can only guess
- they forgot they subscribed once their problem was solved
- they inherited someone other's e-mail address
- their spam filter blocked unsubscribe confirmation request

however:

when I followed the bottom-most message, I've had to click two times, enter
my e-mail and click "unsubscribe" again. That's too much expecially for 2nd
case

- putting information about "unsubscribe" in addition to "subscribe" to
and
https://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml

- pointing to the latter link from e-mail

- highlighting the info that unsubscription must be explicitly confirmed and
that spam folder should be checked for confirmation e-mail if it doesn't
arrive

they could make it easier to unsubscribe.

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
Hopefully this helps: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation/commit/b89efe513dd34689cf7b47e73ba2e96fd9561906

Changing the contact page takes a little more effort. I'll put in a ticket with our web team.

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
________________________________

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
But seriously, ... please don't throw insults here.

If I see mild insults from users here, I will moderate those accounts. If I see more serious insults, repeated bad behavior, or get tired of moderating a lot of email, I will block those accounts.

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.
________________________________

Re: remove me [ In reply to ]
Joel Esler via clamav-users wrote:
>> On Sep 9, 2022, at 12:40 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
>> <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:
>>
>> On 09.09.22 12:29, Marc wrote:
>>> What about doing some sort of IQ test before users subscribe
>>> something like 2+2=?
>>
>> making unsubscribe easier would spare us from solving problems like these.
>>
>> unfortunately, subscribing is often easaier than unsubscribing which
>> is not good.
>
> Subscribing and unsubscribing is the same amount of steps, from the same
> webpage.  I don’t understand why people are able to join a technical
> command line driven antivirus client email list, but can’t remove
> themselves.

To be fair, the mailman page is a bit confusing. The box to unsubscribe
is right at the bottom in the same section as, and just after, a couple
of boxes for an admin address and password. Unless you read very
carefully, it looks like you need to be an admin to use that box to
unsubscribe an address. It may be even less obvious to someone who's
native language isn't English (even as a native English speaker, I
misinterpreted it the first time I came across a similar page for
another project several years ago).

--
Mark.