Mailing List Archive

Please help
TO: "clamd user questions" <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>

QUESTION: When I try to execute the command "clamd" I
get the following message:
ERROR: Please define server type (local and/or TCP)

BACKGROUND; I worked in Bell Labs for 17 years, where I
learned UNIX. After leaving, I got assistance from a
former co-worker to install Linux on my laptop in 2002.
Since then, I've used Fedora Red Hat versions 12, 24, and
recently had my laptop upgraded to version 36. My
experience with system administration is limited and I no
longer have someone with UNIX/Linux admin knowledge to
assist me. The person who installed Fedora v36 suggested I
try CLAMD to get rid of a virus/whatever that apparently
infected my Chrome browser when I went to a music site I
had been using for several years; the site now causes
continual pornographic pop-ups!!

I also have a Firefox browser and used it to download a
new Chrome after I deleted the infected one, but I still
get the pop-ups. Was able to install CLAMD (rpm) and have
read most of the man pages I could find, and checked what
configuration files, etc., I could find, but still get the
ERROR message. What do I need to read, edit, run, etc. to
successfully get the "clamd" command to work.

HELP, please!!! Thanx, Jan Elliott