Mailing List Archive

ClamAV's 'configure' doesn't seem to complain about invalid options
Building 0.103.6, I ran 'configure' with the option "--disable-clamonaccess" (instead of "--disable-clamonacc") and got no error or warning that the option was not recognized.

I did this because I realized that I had still been using the old "--disable-clamuko", which also had no effect, and gave no warning that it was ignored.

Since I never tried to use either feature (and divert all the systemd stuff to a dummy directory), the fact that these options were ignored just wasted some disk space.

But there might be situations where misspelled options being silently ignored could cause serious problems.

Re: ClamAV's 'configure' doesn't seem to complain about invalid options [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Jul 2022, Paul Kosinski via clamav-users wrote:

> Building 0.103.6, I ran 'configure' with the option
> "--disable-clamonaccess" (instead of "--disable-clamonacc") and got
> no error or warning that the option was not recognized.
>
> I did this because I realized that I had still been using the old
> "--disable-clamuko", which also had no effect, and gave no warning
> that it was ignored.
>
> Since I never tried to use either feature (and divert all the
> systemd stuff to a dummy directory), the fact that these options
> were ignored just wasted some disk space.
>
> But there might be situations where misspelled options being
> silently ignored could cause serious problems.

0.103 is the legacy branch and 0.104 moved to CMake, so I doubt this
will be fixed in 0.103.7 unless a user contributes a patch.

With v0.105rc2 the cmake command:
cmake -G Ninja -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -D
DATABASE_DIRECTORY=/var/lib/clamav -D ENABLE_CLAMONACC_DEFAULT=off -D
ENABLE_EXTERNAL_MSPACK=on -D ENABLE_EXTERNAL_TOMSFASTMATH=on -D
ENABLE_MOLTER_DEFAULT=off ..
gave me the messge CMake Warning:
Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

ENABLE_MOLTER_DEFAULT

So I would say that your issue is fixed by the switch to cmake.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk