Mailing List Archive

About virus scanning of temporary files
Hello, I have a question about virus scanning for folders that generate
temporary files.

Why do I get the following error when scanning against that folder? And
what can I do to prevent it from appearing?

>WARNING: File path check failure for:
/xxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/00000001000001D400000002
>Quarantine of the file may fail if file path contains symlinks.
>Access denied: /xxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/00000001000001D400000002

I have confirmed that "/xxxxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/" is not a symbolic
link.

I am using ClamAV version [0.103.4].

Thank you for your consideration.

*This text is a translation from Japanese.
Re: About virus scanning of temporary files [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 9 Jun 2022, ichijo toru via clamav-users wrote:

> Hello, I have a question about virus scanning for folders that generate
> temporary files.

I do not understand what you mean. Folders do not generate anything,
the processes which use them do that. ClamAV neither knows nor cares
that you consider a file to be 'temporary', and, whether you do so or
not, it makes no difference at all to the way ClamAV scans the file.

> Why do I get the following error when scanning against that folder? And
> what can I do to prevent it from appearing?
>
>> WARNING: File path check failure for:
> /xxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/00000001000001D400000002
>> Quarantine of the file may fail if file path contains symlinks.
>> Access denied: /xxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/00000001000001D400000002

The message tells you that ClamAV cannot access a file called

"/xxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/00000001000001D400000002"

It does not tell you that there are symbolic links in the path. If
you do not want to see the error then either give ClamAV permission to
read the file or do not ask ClamAV to scan things to which it does not
have access.

> I have confirmed that "/xxxxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/" is not a symbolic
> link.

The error message does not say that the path is a symbolic link, it is
just warning about quarantining files which have paths which contain
symbolic links. Whether there are symbolic links in the path or not,

"/xxxxxxxx/data/yyyyyy/zz_zzz/"

is not the path given in the error message. We can probably help you
better if you do not confuse the issue by hiding things, whatever the
reason for hiding them might be. If the path names contain non-latin
characters we can probably cope with UTF-8.

> I am using ClamAV version [0.103.4].

There have been significant improvements in more recent versions. You
might find that your problem is resolved if you upgrade, but in any
event I would recommend that you do so if you can. Next time you ask
for help please give the information without obfuscation. Please also
let us have the output of the command

clamconf -n

Please cut and paste the exact output, do not make us guess. You might
find that ClamAV gives you more information if you enable verbose logs.
See the documentation for how to do that.

--

73,
Ged.