comes to ClamAV, that would be great!

Thanks,
JP
Re: Scan reports [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 31 May 2022, John Paul Guay via clamav-users wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m new to ClamAV and I need help to fix our master server so it will scan
> each agent daily. I work in a federal department in government and I’ve
> been working in our lab environment. We had a consultant who had setup our
> ClamAV to scan all of our Linux VM’s and he left good documentation but
> nothing on the issue we’ve encountered now. Everything was working fine,
> which I thought, but something “broke” and now it doesn’t do the daily
> scans of each agent and send the report to the master. It was working until
> January 1st, 2022. I’m not sure if anything changed between last year and
> this year and this year but I need to get this fixed ASAP. I realize this
> doesn’t provide much details but I can provide anything you need. If I can
> get a conversation opened with someone who knows what they’re doing when it
> comes to ClamAV, that would be great!

Hmm. Do you have a message somewhere saying that something broke ?
If so can we have that please, and where you found it.

Without that much, our first problem is to find the haystack,
never mind the needle, and that is unlikely to benefit from knowledge
of ClamAV.

Can you find out whether the master is supposed to request each scan,
or whether the VMs/agents start the scans on their own initiative ?

Which platforms are in use could help too - all of them, as we don't know
which machine broke.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: Scan reports [ In reply to ]
Is it not updating? Or not scanning?

Sent from my ? iPhone

Re: Scan reports [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 31 May 2022, John Paul Guay wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Initially we had an issue where we were using v0.102.4 and noticed this
> stopped working January 4th, 2022. We thought it was an issue with our
> proxy since we couldn't download the virus database (we have whitelisted
> sites since we're a high profile federal department in the Canadian
> government) but after further investigation we realized it was because our
> version of ClamAV was no longer supported. We upgraded our Master server to
> 0.103.6 and are now able to download the virus database daily.
>
> Okay, here's what I have so far. We have a script that runs daily on each
> agent. Here is the script:
>
> [root@seti*** ClamAV-scan-scripts]# cat daily_scan
> #!/bin/bash
> LOGFILE="/var/log/clamav/seti***-clamav-$(date +'%Y-%m-%d').log";
> #EMAIL_MSG="Please see the log file attached.";
> #EMAIL_FROM="clamav-daily@example.com";
> #EMAIL_TO="username@example.com";
> #DIRTOSCAN="/var/www /var/vmail";
> DIRTOSCAN="/ /disk /disk2";
>
> for S in ${DIRTOSCAN}; do
> DIRSIZE=$(du -sh "$S" 2>/dev/null | cut -f1);
>
> echo "Starting a daily scan of "$S" directory.
> Amount of data to be scanned is "$DIRSIZE".";
>
> # clamscan -ri "$S" >> "$LOGFILE";
> clamscan -ri --exclude=/root/quarantine --exclude=^/sys
> --max-scansize=500M --move=/root/quarantine "$S" >> "$LOGFILE";
> chmod 644 "$LOGFILE"
>
> # get the value of "Infected lines"
> MALWARE=$(tail "$LOGFILE"|grep Infected|cut -d" " -f3);
>
> # if the value is not equal to zero, send an email with the log file
> attached
> if [ "$MALWARE" -ne "0" ];then
> # using heirloom-mailx below
> echo "$EMAIL_MSG"|mail -a "$LOGFILE" -s "Malware Found" -r "$EMAIL_FROM"
> "$EMAIL_TO";
> fi
> done
>
> exit 0
> ______________________________________

Unusual to have *** in a variable for a filename.
My bash does not behave differently with one or three stars
(unless I set globstar, and that only needs **)

> This generates a log file with the following info:
>
> [root@seti*** clamav]# cat seti***-clamav-2022-05-31.log

Given that the problem started at the year-change, the definition
of SOURCEFILE concerns me.

*** When did you update it for this year ? ***

I admit that most of my logging is only single lines, but is there
a good reason not to use an existing network logging tool
like syslog, rsyslog or possibly systemd-journald.

In my experience they are usually much better debugged than
home-grown scripts (the only millennium-bugs that caught me were
ones I had written).

Re: Scan reports [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 4:14 PM Andrew C Aitchison
<clamav@aitchison.me.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 May 2022, John Paul Guay wrote:
> > rsync -zar --remove-source-files padmin@$server:$SOURCEFILE $TARGETDIR

Does the user `padmin` still exist on all the servers and have the
proper permissions/access?

RG