Mailing List Archive

rust on IBM i PASE environment - a must ?
Hi ,

We have ClamAV 0.104.1 compiled from sources and working  fine

in IBM i PASE environment - which is quite same architecture like IBM AIX binaries.

We have a problem to compile ClamAV 0.105.0 because at present

we have not rust on IBM i PASE  - nor on AIX.

Is there a way to compile ClamAV 0.105.0 without rust ?

Regards,

Zvi
Re: rust on IBM i PASE environment - a must ? [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On Thu, 19 May 2022, Zvi Kave via clamav-users wrote:

> We have ClamAV 0.104.1 compiled from sources and working? fine
>
> in IBM i PASE environment - which is quite same architecture like IBM AIX binaries.
>
> We have a problem to compile ClamAV 0.105.0 because at present
>
> we have not rust on IBM i PASE? - nor on AIX.
>
> Is there a way to compile ClamAV 0.105.0 without rust ?

The following is taken from the announcement on 14th March 2022 of the
fist release candidate of ClamAV 0.105.0:

| We are excited to announce the ClamAV 0.105.0 release
| candidate<https://draft.blogger.com/#>.
|
| Please help us validate this release. We need your feedback, so let us
| know what you find and join us on the ClamAV mailing
| list<https://draft.blogger.com/#>, or on our
| Discord<https://draft.blogger.com/#>.
| ClamAV 0.105.0 includes the following improvements and changes.
|
| New Requirements
|
| * Starting with ClamAV v0.105, the Rust toolchain is required to compile ClamAV.
|
| You can install the Rust toolchain for your development environment by
| following the instructions on the rustup<https://draft.blogger.com/#>
| website. Some binary package distributions do provide relatively
| up-to-date packages of the Rust toolchain, but many do not. Using
| rustup ensures that you have the most up-to-date Rust compiler at the
| time of installation. Keep your toolchain updated for new features and
| bug/security fixes by periodically executing:
|
| rustup update
|
| Building ClamAV requires, at a minimum, Rust compiler version 1.56,
| as it relies on features introduced in the Rust 2021 Edition.
|
| ClamAV's third-party Rust library dependencies are vendored into the
| release tarball (clamav-<version>.tar.gz) file that we publish on
| clamav.net/downloads<https://draft.blogger.com/#>. But, if you build
| from a Git clone or from an unofficial tarball taken from
| GitHub.com, you will need the internet to download the Rust
| libraries during the build.

As you can see, the requirement is not just for Rust, but for at least
a minimum version of Rust.

--

73,
Ged.